Second Preview

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
msprange
Site Admin

Second Preview

Postby msprange » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:38 am

Hi guys,

The next preview for Traveller has just been posted, offering a little peek into Combat, Encounters and Equipment.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm

I really like it, and I hope the German translation will be equally good. :D
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Looking VERY good, though I have three problems with the second preview:

1) There are apparently less equipment graphics than I've hoped; the melee weapon pics on p.98, for example, show only a few of the available weapons and even those aren't matched with the appropriate weapons.

2) The ACR doesn't include an integral grenade launcher, contrary to its CT-LBB4 description and to its image as Aliens "Pulse Rifle".

3) What's the difference between a Club and an Improvised Weapon? I mean, if you pick up a heavy length of pipe you'll have an efficient club in your hands. Or are improvised weapons more fragile items such as bottles and the less sturdy versions of bar stools? :)

Still, a very exciting preview. I can't wait to get the book itself...
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 pm

A steel pipe would be a club. An improvised weapon would be a chair, table, rock, whatever comes to hand, really :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Golan2072 wrote: 2) The ACR doesn't include an integral grenade launcher, contrary to its CT-LBB4 description and to its image as Aliens "Pulse Rifle".
Not to be too picky, but the LBB4 ACR does not have an integral grenade launcher. Based on page 36 of the LBB4 the Advanced Combat Rifle has: "the muzzle of the rifle includes an intregal flash suppressor and adaptor for launching a 40mm RAM shoot through grenade (see blow)"

Then under the grenades it tells how the RAm can be fired as a "Rifle" grenade.

I remember how sad I was even back in the late 70's because once again CT missed the future with the direction they went. They made their ACR use WWII technology.

But if this MGT is trying to stay true to the LBBs then they met their goal.

On a side note though, MGT does include in the option list an underslung RAM Launcher thet could be added to any rifle, so now you can have that ACR with the GL set up unlike the LBB4.

Daniel
Emperor Herdan
Banded Mongoose

Postby Emperor Herdan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:11 pm

The only "addition" I would like to see to the RAM grenade is the HEAP version.

Just to deal with those pesky BD troops. (smile).

Take Care

E.Herdan
Old Man of the C (for Cyclotrons....Smashing Atoms for fun and profit...ohh and medical and industrial use...)
10harold66
Shrew

what is LBB4?

Postby 10harold66 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Been away for a long, long time and don't recognize this acronym.

Thanks!
10harold66
Shrew

sorry

Postby 10harold66 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:43 pm

sorry...

I meant, what does the LBB4 acronym stand for?

Thanks.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: sorry

Postby -Daniel- » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 pm

10harold66 wrote:sorry...

I meant, what does the LBB4 acronym stand for?

Thanks.
LBB4 = Little Black Book #4 Mercenary :D

Daniel
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 pm

dafrca wrote:Not to be too picky, but the LBB4 ACR does not have an integral grenade launcher. Based on page 36 of the LBB4 the Advanced Combat Rifle has: "the muzzle of the rifle includes an intregal flash suppressor and adaptor for launching a 40mm RAM shoot through grenade (see blow)"
Heh... I guess that I've house-ruled the ACR's grenade launcher to be underbarrel for so long I've forgotten its shoot-through origins...
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Golan2072 wrote:
dafrca wrote:Not to be too picky, but the LBB4 ACR does not have an integral grenade launcher. Based on page 36 of the LBB4 the Advanced Combat Rifle has: "the muzzle of the rifle includes an intregal flash suppressor and adaptor for launching a 40mm RAM shoot through grenade (see blow)"
Heh... I guess that I've house-ruled the ACR's grenade launcher to be underbarrel for so long I've forgotten its shoot-through origins...
Yah, we made it that way in my original group almost from the first time I read the LBB4 so I know what you mean. :D

Later, we went with 20mm Grenades and made the launcher a three shot. What can I say, we were in love with the Aliens movie. :lol:

Daniel