Traveller and 40k rpg both in February?

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
danbuter
Mongoose

Traveller and 40k rpg both in February?

Postby danbuter » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:31 am

I don't know how well this is going to work. Because, while I like Traveller, I guarantee that if I can only buy one rpg book in Feb, it's going to be the 40k rpg.
Dan
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:00 am

I'll grab both. They comprise 2 of the 5 RPG books I intend to buy in the next 6-8 months or thereabouts
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Traveller and 40k rpg both in February?

Postby pasuuli » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:33 pm

danbuter wrote:I don't know how well this is going to work. Because, while I like Traveller, I guarantee that if I can only buy one rpg book in Feb, it's going to be the 40k rpg.
Ask Santa for a voucher for one :)
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:49 pm

pasuuli wrote:Ask Santa for a voucher for one :)
I did that for the last two years and have gotten so many I didn't buy a single RPG book with my own money (until D&D 4E was announced and I bought 6 books for $80 on ebay).
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:53 am

danbuter wrote:I don't know how well this is going to work. Because, while I like Traveller, I guarantee that if I can only buy one rpg book in Feb, it's going to be the 40k rpg.
The one that was supposed to be published in back March?
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:39 am

yes I have absolutely no interest in Traveller so 40K was my choice but as Greg says there is a lack of actual arrival for the Emperors finest....... :)
danbuter
Mongoose

Postby danbuter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 am

Luckily fate intervened, as when I first posted this question, the 40k book had not been bumped.
Dan
Hellebore
Stoat

Postby Hellebore » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:00 am

Greg Smith wrote:
The one that was supposed to be published in back March?

It's finished and printed. You can read about it on the Black Industries website.

Unless they for some reason can't get enough printed in time, it will be out in February next year. 8)

Hellebore
"Humanity's insignificance pales in comparison to its ego" (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:16 pm

I'd encourage the competition myself - the hype could be used to sell both games.

I think WH40K will always trump in terms of flashy presentation, but Traveller will undercut it's retail price significantly, and may appeal to those who baulk at the 'gargantuan-guns 'n' goth' style, and prefer something a bit more understated and 'classical' in design.

Also, Traveller should boast the Starship Troopers and 2000AD settings too, so there is more inherant flexibility to the game compared to the fixed background of WH40K.

In all, though, it should be a good year for sci-fi rpgs. Particularly for the Brits!
Outtasight!
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:04 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:
In all, though, it should be a good year for sci-fi rpgs. Particularly for the Brits!
Pretty much our thinking :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby tneva82 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:12 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:I think WH40K will always trump in terms of flashy presentation, but Traveller will undercut it's retail price significantly, and may appeal to those who baulk at the 'gargantuan-guns 'n' goth' style, and prefer something a bit more understated and 'classical' in design.
Not to mention Traveler might appeal more for those who aren't looking just for combats. Albeit I haven't heard much about 40k RPG but if they plan to bring out rules for "role playing" space marines...I mean gimme a break. Marines are about as RPG-unfriendly as you get. When your life revolves around 3 things: Practice, combat, prayers for the emperor, what role playing room there is left?

Albeit there's room for RPG'ing(Inquisition, rogue traders, adeptus mechanicus etc) without heavy combat but I have nasty feelings that it's going to be fragfest oriented.

Dunno. I have more interest for Traveler and this from 40k background fan.
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

You can't be friend with everybody but you can be friendly to everybody
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:09 pm

tneva82 wrote:
TrippyHippy wrote:I think WH40K will always trump in terms of flashy presentation, but Traveller will undercut it's retail price significantly, and may appeal to those who baulk at the 'gargantuan-guns 'n' goth' style, and prefer something a bit more understated and 'classical' in design.
Not to mention Traveler might appeal more for those who aren't looking just for combats. Albeit I haven't heard much about 40k RPG but if they plan to bring out rules for "role playing" space marines...I mean gimme a break. Marines are about as RPG-unfriendly as you get. When your life revolves around 3 things: Practice, combat, prayers for the emperor, what role playing room there is left?

Albeit there's room for RPG'ing(Inquisition, rogue traders, adeptus mechanicus etc) without heavy combat but I have nasty feelings that it's going to be fragfest oriented.

Dunno. I have more interest for Traveler and this from 40k background fan.
If you have read Ian Watson's Space Marine or his Inquisitor series you will realise there is quite a bit to playing Space Marines... :wink:

I wouldn't say the 40K rpg is all about combat. Again turning to the classic GW fiction there is plenty to be doing without getting into a fight.
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby tneva82 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:35 am

Court Jester wrote:If you have read Ian Watson's Space Marine or his Inquisitor series you will realise there is quite a bit to playing Space Marines... :wink:
40k background gives plenty of evidence they don't have. They practice, they get mission, they plan it, they execute it with brutal efficiency. They have no other use than to smash the enemies of Imperium in as efficient manner as possible. So if they aren't somewhere going BLAM BLAM BLAM they are practising for their next mission learning out how to be even more efficient soldiers.

Okay sure they have 15 minutes free time per day :lol:. Which they are expected to use for prayers...

What RPG room they have? They don't sneak around. They are bit too "noticable" for them. They also don't generally walk around alone asking questions. They aren't exactly used as bodyguards either(waste of resources).

Only use they would have in RPG is when there's need for high-level heavy support. So unless we are talking about company+ sized engagements(big for RPG) we are talking about one heck of a genestealer infestation, daemons or alpha level psykers. At which point they are point-at-enemy-and-yell-go and watch the carnage when squad+ marines tear upon them.

Marines aren't humans really. They don't have anything we could call normal life and they don't mind it...They are weapons, they know it and that's what their life is...War.
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:06 am

I think you are right on possible limitations of a Space Marine campaign - I have similar reservations - (and also a major and very longstanding fan of 40K) fan. However it is intersting how much some of the authors have been able to do with the Space marine template - be thart Space Wolves - and their Viking tendancies, the Ultramarine novels - what does a Marine do when he has to leave the Chapter? the Horus Herasy novels are alos intersting in that they do the "marines are not human" very well but are still characters.....................
I am really looking forward to it - inquisitor is probably more what i wnat though - again that does set itself up for great rpging i feel :D

Unfortunatley never been interested in Traveller.....................
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby tneva82 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 am

Da Boss wrote: the Horus Herasy novels are alos intersting in that they do the "marines are not human" very well but are still characters
Horus heresy doesn't covern MODERN marines though now does it? We are talking about pre-heresy here...Difference? After heresy they are taught(using every means neccessary, including hypnosis) how to be THE weapons for Imperium. They don't have life other than war.

If they are used in mission which doesn't involve gunfighting then that's been one heck of misuse of marines. If intentionally called for mission which wouldn't involve fighting beyond ability of PDF/IG you could very well get shot...Probably by marines in question(you wasted our time and caused servants of Imperium to die because we were there not to protect them? Die traitor of Imperium!). Unless you are protected by Inquisitorial seal at which point you "probably" survive with some extremely harsh language from superiors. Unless you foiled plans of another Inquisitor which had real need for marines in which case he might "dispose" you quietly...

Marine present de facto means fighting. Heavy fighting. Against something REALLY nasty(heck 10000 mutants wouldn't be problem for squad of marines unless those mutants have got access to some heavy weaponry. That's how good marines are. They aren't used to quell minor rebellions or something. That's job for PDF/IG. Sort of serious Xenos incursion you are talking about _very_ powerfull rebellion or more likely daemonic presence).

Now albeit this is marine problem and plenty room for other characters but announcement about marine specific RPG(was it deathwatch?) made me worry. That would revolve around "who gets highest frag count?". Not my taste of RPG. I want to play game like that I dig out 40k ;-)
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:40 pm

The Horus Herasy, the first 2 books were good
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”
“Then grab your gun and bring in the cat,”

All painting Work on my photobucket is copywrite Derina Ramsey please ask if you wish to use.
Dredd Times
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dredd Times » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:27 pm

The new 40K rpg looks awesome, cant say to much about it for obvious reasons but the artwork is stunning and some of the 3D stuff is the best I have seen in ages.

2008 looks to be an excellent year indeed for British roleplaying with both Traveller and 40k in the offing and even more coming towards the middle of the year and my own system O.G.R.E coming out in September all being well :D (all proceeds going to Cystic Fibrosis research btw :))

Marc
greenjelly
Banded Mongoose

Postby greenjelly » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Is Mongoose doing the Warhammer 40k RPG? If not, who is?
Hellebore
Stoat

Postby Hellebore » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:35 am

spawn wrote:Is Mongoose doing the Warhammer 40k RPG? If not, who is?
No, GW's publishing wing Black Library has an imprint called Black Industries that is producing it.

I've never encountered traveller, so I don't have much knowledge in that area, but if it has that British feel then I will enjoy it, because I've never been a fan of the D&D American style at all.

Hellebore
"Humanity's insignificance pales in comparison to its ego" (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me

Postby MaxSteiner » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Anyone who thinks that Spacemarines have no scope for roleplay has never read Rogue Trader (Or any of the awesome early books, Deathwing anyone?).

Anywho, the 40K RPG previews been released:
http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=40k
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol: