Do you think the MEA are overpowered?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Bede
Mongoose

Do you think the MEA are overpowered?

Postby Bede » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:43 am

I'm talking about in lower point games, or where the enemy doesn't take tanks.

In the admittedly few games I've played, the MEA have pretty much owned the enemy (EFTF and PLA).

It just seems like their cheaper infantry and realtively plentiful AT weapons outmatch the others.

What do you think?
The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:07 am

two words.... Readied MG.
"On the Bounce"
Bondarus
Stoat

Postby Bondarus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:18 am

Indeed. :lol:
www.myspace.com/enochiantheoryband

www.enochiantheory.co.uk - Multi media sections, press reviews, interviews & tour news

New album 'EVOLUTION: Creatio Ex Nihilio' out NOW

'A monument to the death of an idea' EP also available
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 am

Definately not. While the MEA have much higher numbers of troopers, their fragility more than makes up for it. Plus, the RPG-29 is by no means a tank killer with a basic D10 attack roll.
Bondarus
Stoat

Postby Bondarus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:25 am

I still wish I'd chosen MEA over PLA though. :lol:

www.enochiantheory.co.uk - Multi media sections, press reviews, interviews & tour news

Low Roller 1-1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Low Roller 1-1 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:21 am

Bondarus wrote:I still wish I'd chosen MEA over PLA though. :lol:
It's called a second army :lol:

I have my Brits just shy of 3000pts
and I have my fun MEA at just shy of 3000pts
Both have differnt a feel to how they play as others may testify I have played SST bugs at most tourneys because i love 80 warrior bugs but at heart i'm the MI player of the group same thing goes for the brits and the MEA.
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
AlphaStrike
Banded Mongoose

Postby AlphaStrike » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:40 am

I can definitely vouch for Low Roller's comments about using 80+ bugs in tourneys - I remember playing against him during the Alphatrike Tournament at the end of 2005: he covered the board in warriors and backed them up with 3 tankers! At that point I'd never seem anything so damn scary on a tabletop!

I love BF Evo, but the scale of SST just can't be beaten.
To the everlasting glory of the infantry...
Bondarus
Stoat

Postby Bondarus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Low Roller 1-1 wrote:
Bondarus wrote:I still wish I'd chosen MEA over PLA though. :lol:
It's called a second army :lol:

I have my Brits just shy of 3000pts
and I have my fun MEA at just shy of 3000pts
Both have differnt a feel to how they play as others may testify I have played SST bugs at most tourneys because i love 80 warrior bugs but at heart i'm the MI player of the group same thing goes for the brits and the MEA.
(LOL)

In my case though it like a fourth army! I have a 1.500pt blood angel army and 1000pt imperial gaurd army for 40k as well.

My wife would do her nut if I started collecting another one! :lol:

cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:47 pm

Bondarus wrote: In my case though it like a fourth army! I have a 1.500pt blood angel army and 1000pt imperial gaurd army for 40k as well.

My wife would do her nut if I started collecting another one! :lol:
Then just sell your wife to afford a new army ;) It will also create lots more storage space in your house for minatures as well..... :twisted:
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:41 pm

The size of the board and the inability to get an extra shot due to better range can effect things as the MEA approach.

Regardless of faction, low point games are skewed by whoever goes first. With only 1-2 squads every death counts and suppression will end the game for you in a hurry.
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:32 pm

MEA are not overpowered.
None of the forces are overpowered as I see it, but PLA do seem to have a lot of disadvantages. :?
I'm waiting for the next few waves, they should sort it out.
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:57 pm

Rob_alderman wrote:MEA are not overpowered.
None of the forces are overpowered as I see it, but PLA do seem to have a lot of disadvantages. :?
I'm waiting for the next few waves, they should sort it out.
Not sure how the next waves can sort out the PLA without making those units to cheap which will create its own issues. I would say that MGP would be better off just errartering the Type 99 and PLA infantry and putting new cards into S&P and up on the website.

Beyond that the more units we get the better the faction balance will get. MGP just need to look at holes in the forth coming release scedules and make sure they don't ruin a force, like the lack of AA might do to the EFTF.
We play CTA/SFoS (using counters and FA models), Starship Troopers (evo), 40k, Flames of War, BF EVO

RP, B5, Star Wars, and others. If you are local to Newcastle upon Tyne and fancy joining in drop me a message.
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:20 pm

If you ever feel the MEA are overpowered, sit your Brits or USMC in cover, and sit your big scary good tank in cover, and see what happens then. MEA have a lot of firepower, but you have to recognise, as I did when playing with and against them, that MEA will break their opponent by killing his infantry and not his tanks. Even the Type 99 cannot be taken down by MEA type 29 RPGs in a single shot, and it is the use of the RPG for clearing infantry from cover that makes it an invaluable weapon. MEA players need to recognise the utility and vulnerabiity of all enemy infantry to RPG fire. RPG fire is unlikely to destroy a modern MBT (it literally can't outright kill a Challenger and only Kornets on the fragile Fedayeen can do so to an Abrams). On average 72 RPG-29 shots are required to destroy an Abrams. Only by getting behind and above your opponent can you lower these odds. Firing these shots at enemy infantry will probably win you the game.
The MEA simply have to kill infantry to win. The Zulfiqar is no match for Abrams or Challengers, but is superb for destroying infantry strongpoints.

Fighting MEA a number of tactics present themselves. Almost all of them involve the use of cover and concentration of force. The MEA are a horde army, and while your opponent could mechanise them using technicals it is unlikely he will.
The MEA have very little that can take on your tanks and your infantry are superior and for Brits and USMC have an armour save. If you can set up second refuse a flank. If you set up first then a mechanised force can redeploy to refuse a flank and a non mechnaised force can dig into cover. Ready your MGs. This gives each fire team 7 fire dice and 11 dice suppression. This means you will start to slow down your opponent or choke off retaliatory fire. If you can take one action away from a squad then they must move or shoot in their turn and then rely on a possible reaction to fire for a second action. Tank cannon are invaluable for erasing groups of infantry, particularly combined with the two MGs a tank mounts. Using your infantry to protect flanks you can dig in and wait. The MEA will be throwing RPG fire at you, but unless they are willing to charge in they will be taking tank and MG fire in return and they will come off significantly worse. If you can obliterate one part of the enemy force it gves you a void to exploit with tanks or lighter vehicles (the chinese Norinco, in a group of 2-3 is an excellent infantry killer and makes an effective counter thrust).

If you can refuse a flank you don't need me to tell you what to do, launch a flanking maneuver with tanks/mechanised infantry etc and destroy the closest squad, then the next closest, and roll up the enemy line. A smart opponent will pull his troops back and then use his numbers to nail you, an opponent caught off guard will aloow himself to be destroyed piecemeal, piting militia against professional soldiers with armour support.

It goes without saying to always take a tank if you fight MEA, and particularly if you are Chinese, keep that tank in cover to prevent instant kills.
MEA are not unstoppable. They can be beaten. They can be crushed.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
Cailet
Banded Mongoose

Postby Cailet » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:58 pm

The problem with tanks and cover? Technicals *grins*

OK so it takes some luck with the dice but ramming seems to be my best anti-tank trick.

Doesn;t help that I play PLA I guess (the only game I've won was with MEA against Low-Roller's EFTF where I killed the tank with ramming Technicals and a lot of Kornets).
Official Fat Cat stealer of books (I do mean to give them back, honest!)
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Yeah I love doing that with techincals. :D
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Hmmm I dunno but pickup trucks ramming tanks.... its a bit like a chiwawa trying to attack a particularly vicious rottweiler. Yes it might kill the Rottweiler one in a million times, but only by chocking the rotty to death as it tries to swallow it....

I think when vehicles ram each other you should subtract the size difference, so a Technical ramming a Tank would be at D10-2, where as a tank ramming a Technical would be D10-(-2) well D10+2.

Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:04 pm

I suggested the same thing cordas. It certianly helps with the inertia factor.
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 pm

a pick up ramming a tank should do no damage but scratch the paint work. just doesnt work. all you need to do is see tanks driving over cars to see how much resistance a car can put up against a tank.
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
cordas
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby cordas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:28 pm

katadder wrote:a pick up ramming a tank should do no damage but scratch the paint work. just doesnt work. all you need to do is see tanks driving over cars to see how much resistance a car can put up against a tank.
If something like the engine block gets into the tanks tracks, it can make a real mess of them (have seen this happen on an open day when the tank driver made a mistake or got unlucky).

In theory a vehicle ramming a tank could also hit it in such a way as to damage the track whilst only doing body work damage to itself.

The Old Soldier
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby The Old Soldier » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:17 pm

CC with vehicles is kind of silly really. First off what does it mean? Ramming? mgs firing at very close range?

note CCing infantry is not really worth the effort. Since you have to stop at the point of contact. In the real world the infantry would just move the hell out of the way.

Fast moving small vehicle would not stand there and get run over either. They would also get the hell out of the way of larger ones.

As a matter of fact, no vehicle would ram another unless it ran out of ammo and was much larger than the vehicle it attempted to ram, and then only if the smaller vehicle had damage where it couldn't run. Ramming in this game is akin to a Rambo movie. Pure fantasy.

I'd either get rid of vehicle CC, or I'd have to KISS the rules again.
"On the Bounce"