How many subs can I try to detect?

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

How many subs can I try to detect?

Postby Poi » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:21 pm

My destroyer has two subs within 8". I have to roll to detect before declaring attacks.

Can I roll to detect one, or both?
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
Jack Tar
Weasel

Postby Jack Tar » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 am

If the Destroyer has the :sub-hunter" trait all subs can be detected at once - P18 "Long Range Detection"

This is actually a worry - i only found one ship - the Fletcher Class Destroyer - that has this trait.

Does this mean that no other ships can detect Subs until they have been revealed?
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:15 am

Subs can be detected by any ship, see the top of P.18.

I'd guess each ship can make one detection roll for each sub within 8" of it.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:26 am

Jack Tar wrote:If the Destroyer has the :sub-hunter" trait all subs can be detected at once - P18 "Long Range Detection"

This is actually a worry - i only found one ship - the Fletcher Class Destroyer - that has this trait.

Does this mean that no other ships can detect Subs until they have been revealed?
Correct.
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
frankinla
Shrew

Postby frankinla » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:23 pm

lastbesthope wrote:Subs can be detected by any ship, see the top of P.18.

I'd guess each ship can make one detection roll for each sub within 8" of it.

LBH
P.18 says, "A single die is rolled before the ship declares its attacks." I took this literally that each ship may make one single detection roll at the beginning of its attack phase. I hope they clarify this, as it makes a big difference in how hard it is to detect a sub. :?

Frank in L.A.
juggler69uk
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby juggler69uk » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Jack Tar wrote:If the Destroyer has the :sub-hunter" trait all subs can be detected at once - P18 "Long Range Detection"

Only subs in the same "square" as the detecting ship though
Its not whether you win or lose.......
....... oh wth win anyway
frankinla
Shrew

Postby frankinla » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:53 pm

[/quote]

Only subs in the same "square" as the detecting ship though[/quote]

And they see nothing unless they roll a 6. "Well, they didn't DETECT anything, so they must be safe....mwahahahaaaaah!!" :twisted:

Frank in L.A.
Jack Tar
Weasel

Postby Jack Tar » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:39 pm

[quote="frankinla"][/quote]

And they see nothing unless they roll a 6. "Well, they didn't DETECT anything, so they must be safe....mwahahahaaaaah!!" :twisted:

no need for the evil laugh - only one ship in the rule book can detect subs this way.
frankinla
Shrew

Postby frankinla » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:34 am

Jack Tar wrote:
frankinla wrote:

no need for the evil laugh - only one ship in the rule book can detect subs this way.
I'm pretty sure any time a Fletcher fails its long-range detection roll, the evil laugh will be mandatory. :lol: (Our games tend to include a fair amount of friendly harassment :) ).

Frank in L.A.
kamenski
Cub

Re:

Postby kamenski » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 pm

Jack Tar wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 am
If the Destroyer has the :sub-hunter" trait all subs can be detected at once - P18 "Long Range Detection"

I desagree
page 18 OOB
Ships with the Sub-Hunter trait may try to detect any submersibles that have not yet been revealed. Whenever a Sub-Hunter ship moves
into a new square on the table, roll a die. On a six, all submersibles within that square will automatically be revealed. The submersible player
will place the submersible anywhere within the square as normal.

All the subs are revealed, it doesn't mean they are detected. The destroyer must detect the sub prior to attack as any other destroyerr but with a +1 bonus because of "sub hunter"