"A Call To Arms" ship combat game

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby E Nicely » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:32 am

JasoMac wrote:So what exactly will be available for purchase at GenCon? I know it has been stated that the Call to Arms starter set will be there, which as I understand it will have counters to represnt all of the ships in the game until the miniatures are released but will we see any of the fleet box sets, most likely being the Earth Alliance and Minbari, available for purchase? I'd really like to get into the game but knowing what happens to my money and free time after GenCon (they both disappear) it is much less likely if I can't get them at the convention.
Unless something's changed, the fleet boxes won't be available until October.
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
Eryx
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Eryx » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:58 am

I may have missed this, but do the ship models come pre-painted or not? And are they plastic or metal?
A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent.
Jal
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jal » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:00 am

they`re metal, assembly required on some of them, and you get to decorate them in the colours of your choice! :wink:

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:19 pm

I know I ordered some and I am just waiting to get my grubby little hands on them. Does anyone know what the turn around time is from placing an order with Agent1 to delivery???
klingsor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby klingsor » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:30 pm

I never saw the game butt I was somewhat interested in getting it - until I started hearing more detail. The problem with it seemed to be that they came at it with 'Star Fleet Battles' in mind - I believe they had some prior experience of this system. The result was a big complicated system. Judging by some playtester comments it did not even attempt to model vector movement that was one of the features of the original series.

The system in the 'Eathforce Sourcebook' was based on 'Full Thrust' a much simpler and less detailed game but a much better example to emulate.

I am very keen to see the new game and glad to see that B5 miniatures will still be available – no matter who they are from. I wonder what I can do with my smaller scale ones though. I suspect they might still be better to use – some of the larger B5 ships were very large indeed and awkward to use on the table.

Michael
ronbogard
Banded Mongoose

Postby ronbogard » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:49 pm

I myself and going to play the demo at GenCon to see how the rules go. But I will get it anyway.
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:02 pm

The B5 Wars stuff is no where near as brain numbing as Star Fleet Battles. Actually, I have found it an absolutely great game as long as you don't attempt to make the battles too big. Then certain things that are fairly balanced in small numbers become disgustingly abusive when used in large amounts. I won't go into detail as I think I ranted about this in another thread.

I'll just leave it that I think the B5 Wars is the best Starship combat game I've used for squadron level actions or smaller.

I will definitely be looking into A Call to Arms for anything involving more ships.
Yummmmm.....Flan! It's really just styrofoam. Tasty styrofoam, like twinkies, but somehow better for you.
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:46 pm

klingsor wrote:I never saw the game butt I was somewhat interested in getting it - until I started hearing more detail. The problem with it seemed to be that they came at it with 'Star Fleet Battles' in mind - I believe they had some prior experience of this system.
Except what they avoided were all SFB's problems :) B5W actually manges (and surpasses) the detail of SFB without the library of rules, plus plays very quickly indeed given the detail level. Having taught people to play both games, SFB takes an hour or so to get them started at a basic level, B5W I've got groups of newbies playing with an almost complete set of rules in twenty minutes. Whole different kettle of fish to my mind.
klingsor wrote:The result was a big complicated system. Judging by some playtester comments it did not even attempt to model vector movement that was one of the features of the original series.
All the elements you actually need of vector movement are there in the game (notably the concept of momentum). Some things are absent but they aren't a big deal.
klingsor wrote:The system in the 'Eathforce Sourcebook' was based on 'Full Thrust' a much simpler and less detailed game but a much better example to emulate.
Better would be Fleet Action to my mind, B5W's fleet game.
klingsor wrote:I am very keen to see the new game and glad to see that B5 miniatures will still be available – no matter who they are from. I wonder what I can do with my smaller scale ones though. I suspect they might still be better to use – some of the larger B5 ships were very large indeed and awkward to use on the table.
Just remember they are only glorified counters - size doesn't matter and I'd put good money on the ground scale being totally unrelated to the ship scale otherwise we're going to need sports stadiums to play the battles in...
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:32 pm

Just remember they are only glorified counters - size doesn't matter and I'd put good money on the ground scale being totally unrelated to the ship scale otherwise we're going to need sports stadiums to play the battles in...
I have always thought that using a stadium would be great fun for a really massive miniatures battle. Terrain could be modeled for the entire area...canyons, mountains, flowing rivers. Then a big gantry with a herd of robotic arms to move and position all the minis. The sides would control everything from computers in the box seats. And for the truly masochistic install arc welders in the robotic arms in order to simulate battle damage on the minis.

And in case you're wondering, no...I've never tried to figure out what something like this would cost; it would make my head hurt.
Yummmmm.....Flan! It's really just styrofoam. Tasty styrofoam, like twinkies, but somehow better for you.
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:47 pm

Dag, you really need to get some downtime man!

:D

LBH
Jal
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jal » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:34 pm

Better would be Fleet Action to my mind, B5W's fleet game.
Fleet Action is definately better than B5Wars, but i still prefer the "Earthforce Sourcebook" variant of Full Thrust.
Except what they avoided were all SFB's problems
they didn`t get rid of me feeling like my head was going to explode every time i went to read their game instructions, i did like their background stuff and designs though.

and i am looking forward to seeing (and buying) Mongoose`s take on the genre. :)
Dag'Nabbit
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dag'Nabbit » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:46 am

I gotta admit that compared to Full Thrust, virtually everything else is complicated. Including starting your car.
Jal
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jal » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:35 am

I gotta admit that compared to Full Thrust, virtually everything else is complicated.
yep, not everyone gets a kick out of pouring through manuals in the middle of a game. :lol:
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:20 pm

jal wrote:they didn`t get rid of me feeling like my head was going to explode every time i went to read their game instructions, i did like their background stuff and designs though.
Light-weight! :)
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
Chobbly
Banded Mongoose

Postby Chobbly » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:45 pm

frobisher wrote:
jal wrote:they didn`t get rid of me feeling like my head was going to explode every time i went to read their game instructions, i did like their background stuff and designs though.
Light-weight! :)
I'd probably classify myself as a light weight too, but would probably get done under the Trades Description Act or something :lol:

It's different for different folks. I thought B5 Wars looked too complex, but that was only from having a cursory glance at it. For me, it's getting a ruleset that's easy enough to follow so you don't need to refer to a rulebook between every single game action, but offers enough depth for personal styles of play to come through.

I agree with you Jal, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on A Call to Arms too.

Chobbly
Jal
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jal » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:27 pm

frobisher wrote:
Light-weight!
only in a metaphorical sence. :lol:

i never saw any reason to play a game that i did not enjoy, B5Wars fitted that cattegory admirably, so with the Sourcebook i shall remain. :D

until i try out A Call To Arms. :wink: