Mad Max / Death race / Dark future / Car Wars

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Mad Max / Death race / Dark future / Car Wars

Postby Mr Evil » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:37 am

this type of game has always been on my whant list for years and years.

i think it needs a modern twist, the ability to be played in arena, along a road or evan in a city sprawl, scale wise keep it as Bf-evo so we can use toy cars, and have MGP sell conversion packs with guns and suck and vehichle crews.

rules would need to allow trucks as well, motor cycles, and lots of vehicle upgrades.

Not easy to do i know, but then if any company met the challenge id definatly be a customer.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
Rob_A
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rob_A » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Hell yeah, I'd love it!
Fill the (bug) hole that SST left in your heart, sign up and join the Colonial Marines with AvP: The Miniatures Game!
http://prodosgames.com
Neo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Neo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:28 pm

I used to love Dark Future, with the campaign rules from White Dwarf it was a bucket load of fun.
Cpl. Mark "Neo" Howe MI68-94
http://www.neo73.plus.com/
MI Forward Reconnaissance, The Wolf Pack
Mongooses "Old Man" of Playtesting
completed playtests #130!
Gaming since 1980
Magistus
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Magistus » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:52 pm

Car Wars is one of my favorite all time games. Shame no updates to the game since 2003.
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Excellent idea. Where do I sign up?
lt.harper
Banded Mongoose

Postby lt.harper » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Go for it! 8)
"BUGS! BUGS!"
lt.harper
Banded Mongoose

Postby lt.harper » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Sorry didnt mean to post twise. :oops:
"BUGS! BUGS!"
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Well, I'm to young to remember Car Wars but people keep talking about it. I would certainly buy a game of this kind.
Ray
Mongoose
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:19 pm

I even got a copy of Car Wars years ago, hoping to get my group into it.

So, ya, I'm in! :D
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - Let him who wishes for peace prepare for war.
- Flavius Vegetius Renatus
---
Mongoose Infantry
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:10 pm

Great idea, especially the conversion kit thing if the bits and pieces (and figures) worked well with Hot Wheels toys (ofwhich my kiddies have quite a few)
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Magistus
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Magistus » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:08 am

DM wrote:Great idea, especially the conversion kit thing if the bits and pieces (and figures) worked well with Hot Wheels toys (ofwhich my kiddies have quite a few)
Wow never thought about using hot wheels.
Ray
Mongoose
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

Postby Ray » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:05 am

:shock: That's what Car Wars is for! Tape on your G.I. Joe guns on the Hot Wheels and go nuts! :twisted:
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - Let him who wishes for peace prepare for war.
---
Mongoose Infantry
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:42 pm

I will point out that Testor's had at least some of this implemented. It never took off that I heard of, though, so they may have dropped it. Look up Overdrive Arena some time.
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:01 am

Xorrandor wrote:I will point out that Testor's had at least some of this implemented. It never took off that I heard of, though, so they may have dropped it. Look up Overdrive Arena some time.
that game was overpriced and was an arena thing.

what gamers have always whanted from my understanding is a simple set of rules for racing cars and shooting and taking damage, while being able to use matchbox/hotweel cars. how does a company make money out of this ? simple make weapon packs and sell those, packs of armour and roll bars you can bend to fit your cars, bull bars to go on the front.

books that do areana games, books that do race campains in different parts of the world and terrain, from cities to desert to the frozen mountains, packs of road sections we can race along or use for our BF-evo games. books on different car classes such as trucks and vns, or hotrods or Formula Death !!!! a book for solo games of say a police chase ?

its what gamers have whanted for a long time, but the problem has been companies try to sell their cars, rather than let us do what we dream of doing , and thats usin toy cars with specific conversion kits, so the wepons are WYSIWYG !!!

we could have figs of drivers to put in the seats, we could have figs to build road blocks and such,,

would a game like this be limited ? NO campain book every 6 months and a new pack of any new weapons to be introduced is all that is needed, maybe have a pimp my car article every S&P ? have submissions ?

God i so wha a game like that, bring back the dark future haydays please, and dont forget to produce motor bikes, sidecars and trikes and evan quads !!!!
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
Ray
Mongoose

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:41 am

"I don't know what's more insulting, the fact that I got taken out by the oil slick, or the fact that the guy that took me out is driving a Pinto!"
---
Mongoose Infantry
operative 6678
Stoat

Postby operative 6678 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:09 pm

This sounds great fun. I like the conversion pk idea rather than the official models route and agree with the large variety of vehicles available to race with lots of upgrades call.

Commercial vans should defiantly be included in the list so we could have ‘white van man’ on the table in his true form, psychopathically despatching the other road users :twisted: - as he would do in real life if he could only get away with it :wink:
Blun-Tor the Hu-Man
Shrew

Postby Blun-Tor the Hu-Man » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:27 pm

Interstate '76 comes immediately to mind.

I don't normally have the patience for hobby miniatures, but I could get into some post-apocalyptic car battle action. Or Interstate '76.

My AMC Gremlin has a 20mm cannon mounted on the hood, and my trigger finger is itchy.
soulman
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby soulman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:19 pm

i played dark future, battlecars and carwars, carwars had more work to it, i did the midville map once, with people, cars and bikes, took hours to play...

Overdrive, had some good ideas, just low and high gear for movment, not phases etc like carwars, and the combat was good, no hitpoints per side, i liked the armour score, which holds its value, unless a crit hit knocked a point off...

SO....
What are people thinking, a EVO cargame ?, is this something people wish to do, i help you with it, i looked at dogfight and it can be turned into a 2d car game if you need my help
kodiak155
Weasel

Postby kodiak155 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:37 pm

I can't believe that Car Wars is still around. I remember that when I was 12. (34 now.)
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AKAramis » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:40 am

kodiak155 wrote:I can't believe that Car Wars is still around. I remember that when I was 12. (34 now.)
Not really. The new edition died a couple years ago. SJG was hoping to sell it in collectible mode, and players balked. Most of us seemed to want it to be a rulebook, a vehicle design system, and light roleplay... and were given collectible vehicle books prompting massive rules duplication.

The new rules DO play QUITE well. Just that, no design system, no character roleplay system, and no campaign rules, and no variety from arena duels. Oh, and no background history, which was the strong point of the Car Wars setting.

In re a Mongoose road wars project:
So, if such a thing is done, I'll probably buy the core in PDF. I'm unlikely to buy dead tree without really compelling previews.

I prefer counters to minis, myself, preferably ones I can print, laminate, and play. I'd prefer sized counters by size of vehicle.

I want cars, cycles, trucks, and busses.

I want a compelling future history that explains why it's legal to shot up the guy who cut you off.

I want light roleplaying in the core rules.
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us