Do you homebrew careers?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings

Do you make your own careers, or stick to published careers?

I roll my own.
50%
I stick to published.
50%

Total votes: 18
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Do you homebrew careers?

Postby Nathan Brazil » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Rick wrote:Spell: Fireball - physical component; HE Grenade. By pulling out a pin and throwing the physical component at a target, the wizard creates a fireball in size and effect exactly the same as a HE Grenade. :twisted:
But to be effective that would require the wizard to take Athletics (Coordination) skill levels, when perhaps he is intent on taking another level in Science (Metaphysics) or whatever skill is needed to cast spells. :lol:
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Saladman wrote:
JRoss wrote:Does it count as homebrew if Mongoose has published the Careers that you wrote?
Touche. Well, if you're asking me, then which came first, using the careers or having them published?
Uh, they were written for publication.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Tom Kalbfus wrote:Has anyone converted characters classes to careers?
For instance example of careers would be:
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard
I've done it already. Just gotta get it published.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:10 am

Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:59 pm

I shall now throw the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

From the First Book of Arms... "Thou shalt pulleth the holy pin and begin counting. Three is the number of counting. Thou shalt not count to four, nor to two, but to three..."
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Mirja
Weasel

Postby Mirja » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 am

Saladman wrote:Or do you prefer published ones?

I ask because a question in the Cosmopolite thread reminded me of an attitude I've seen elsewhere, of what looks like people waiting for an official resource. For myself, careers are pretty easy to knock out. The greater labor would be in a custom life events list, and that's more where I find the supplements useful.

And what are your reasons? For published-only, is it balance? Just avoiding "sweetheart" custom careers? If you're a player, is it easier to point to a published product than ask your GM, "hey, can I have X as a career?"
I went back to GDW's the New Era in order to make characters. No stupid rolling a Army guy who has Sensors 2, navigation 5 and Advocate 3 and no combat skills but that which his rank gives him.

The New Era let you choose your skills (within a limit) and not have it 100% random like MGT.
Old timer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old timer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Except it is not total random in MGT, look at the alternate character generation rules on page 40 of the core rule book.
Saladman
Stoat

Postby Saladman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:21 am

Mirja wrote: I went back to GDW's the New Era in order to make characters. No stupid rolling a Army guy who has Sensors 2, navigation 5 and Advocate 3 and no combat skills but that which his rank gives him.

The New Era let you choose your skills (within a limit) and not have it 100% random like MGT.
Fair enough. I know a lot of players feel that way, and that may be one reason Traveller isn't bigger than it is.

In passing though, I'll mention that Sensors 2, Nav 5, Advocate 3 with combat skills at 0 to 1 is a perfectly playable character, which suggests the system is working as intended.

If I wasn't such a nice guy, my version of iron man/death in character generation would be to say "sure, you can just select skills if you're not getting what you want," then boot every player who shows up to a free trader game with Gun Combat 4, Melee 4, Tactics 4. I understand going in to char-gen hoping for a hot-shot pilot or gunslinger and coming out with Mechanic, Admin and Deception has got to be frustrating, but it at least gives you something to do in actual play other than "be Jayne from Firefly."

All that said, a mid-point I want to try sometime is: pick service specialty -> roll d6 -> then pick what eligible skill chart to take that roll on.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:41 am

It helps to have role-players in your group instead of power gamers.
Easterner
Mongoose

Postby Easterner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:46 pm

I created the missing Scout careers.

BUREAUCRAT
There are three Bureaucrat careers. The Base Crewman, Technical Officer (R&D or Scout Fleet) and the Bureaucrat. Bureaucrats can choose to serve any department from: Administration, Detached Duty Office, or Education branch

SCOUT SECURITY
Security Officer
S-3 Operative

FIELD SCOUTS
Revised skill awards for Field Service Scouts.

I submitted them to Matt years ago, but the magazine went dormant when I submitted so they've never shown up.
Mirja
Weasel

Postby Mirja » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:06 am

In my case it is not about powergaming, it is more that I want a reasonable character from start that I like and want to RP.