Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
InexorableTash
Weasel

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby InexorableTash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Reynard wrote:And yet the sysgen works very well. So well the Traveller Map uses it.
Nit: TravellerMap.com uses existing data, doesn't generate it.

The T5SS-reviewed data is checked to ensure it doesn't violate the rules (mostly) but isn't necessarily generated according to them.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 am

When a system generator needs a spreadsheet to use, I think it tipped the scale to too big!
ieqo
Weasel

Postby ieqo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Reynard wrote:When a system generator needs a spreadsheet to use, I think it tipped the scale to too big!
Oh I disagree completely; I hate when my 70's-era game about faster-than-light travel and Scottish Highlander samurai space-lions gets the physics wrong.

Leaving sarcasm aside for a moment, I can comment from experience that the system generation procedure in GT:First In is just as cruchalicious as everyone has said. But, as was pointed out earlier, it is a few years old; we didn't really know that Bode's Law was crap when that stuff was being compiled. If you really feel the need to have every major rock in a given modeled, it is a fine choice. I think for most of us, however, sorting details as needed by the story is the less head-explodey option.
hiro

Postby hiro » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:09 pm

ieqo wrote: system generator needs a spreadsheet.......
... gets the physics wrong.
The trouble is, what we know about our own system is very limited, what we know about exo systems is almost negligible.

Which means, to me, there's a lot of hand waving and extrapolation gonna happen in any system generator and lots of potential for errors.
Last edited by hiro on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:13 pm

hiro wrote:
ieqo wrote: system generator needs a spreadsheet.......
... gets the physics wrong.
The trouble is, what we know about our own system is very limited, what we know about exo systems is almost negligible.

Which means, to me, there's a lot of hand waving and extrapolation gonna happen in any system and lots of potential for errors.
Most definitely. It will be fascinating to watch discoveries unfold as we get more instruments into space and get a better idea of the configuration of even nearby systems.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:44 pm

travchao999 wrote:Hey, I was trying to remember if there was a mongoose traveller book that established the Extended UWP.

Also, if there was one that said how to do a System Profile, with the orbit numbers and the star and all that. I know that scout had some system cartography stuff, but not like star creation or things like that.
I use Heaven and Earth still, not perfect, but it gives you a map of all the planets and their orbits, plus text files, it's old though. - http://www.downport.com/wbd/HEAVEN_&_EARTH.htm

Good as place to expand on, which I do.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Or at least our very great grandchildren will. Unless, of course we discover even the best instrumentation has its limits and, if we can't get out there, we will be extremely deprived of such vast knowledge.

Pray for Jump.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Reynard wrote:Or at least our very great grandchildren will. Unless, of course we discover even the best instrumentation has its limits and, if we can't get out there, we will be extremely deprived of such vast knowledge.

Pray for Jump.
True