Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
travchao999
Stoat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 am

Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby travchao999 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Hey, I was trying to remember if there was a mongoose traveller book that established the Extended UWP.

Also, if there was one that said how to do a System Profile, with the orbit numbers and the star and all that. I know that scout had some system cartography stuff, but not like star creation or things like that.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 am

travchao999 wrote:Hey, I was trying to remember if there was a mongoose traveller book that established the Extended UWP.

Also, if there was one that said how to do a System Profile, with the orbit numbers and the star and all that. I know that scout had some system cartography stuff, but not like star creation or things like that.
I have Scout. And, as you mentioned it is not complete. I haven't seen any other MgT that completes the system building. I am probably missing a book... ?
Image
travchao999
Stoat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby travchao999 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:52 am

I have most all major books, but I have so many that I really have lost track of what is covered in each book. It's a major problem.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby GypsyComet » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:07 am

No, Mongoose has not produced an extended UWP or whole system process that results in high detail. The system in Scout is entirely pulp adventure oriented on purpose, since even at the time the monthly announcements about newly discovered exo-planets were making it clear that no prior system was really random enough AND complete enough AND vaguely accurate enough AND printable in anything close to the standard page count. If anything, that has gotten even harder to do since then.

Make it up, using the one page system in Scout as a general guide. The real universe will probably *still* be weirder.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:56 am

GypsyComet wrote:
Make it up, using the one page system in Scout as a general guide. The real universe will probably *still* be weirder.
I think think that this advice is a "keeper".
Image
travchao999
Stoat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby travchao999 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:27 am

Yeah, It's just very weird to both be given things but at the same time not be given things. When I used to run Shadowrun, things were very different, I felt like I was given pretty much everything.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:37 am

travchao999 wrote:Yeah, It's just very weird to both be given things but at the same time not be given things. When I used to run Shadowrun, things were very different, I felt like I was given pretty much everything.
From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
Image
hiro

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby hiro » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:40 am

The original 2300 is pretty good too, I think it benefits from the suggestions the Evil Dr Ganymede made over on his blog, which you can read more on at the SFRPG forums.
travchao999
Stoat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby travchao999 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 am

sideranautae wrote:
travchao999 wrote:Yeah, It's just very weird to both be given things but at the same time not be given things. When I used to run Shadowrun, things were very different, I felt like I was given pretty much everything.
From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
Yeah, there seems to be a good amount of information for the small details. Maybe I'll look for a cheap copy.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:27 am

travchao999 wrote:
sideranautae wrote:
travchao999 wrote:Yeah, It's just very weird to both be given things but at the same time not be given things. When I used to run Shadowrun, things were very different, I felt like I was given pretty much everything.
From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
Yeah, there seems to be a good amount of information for the small details. Maybe I'll look for a cheap copy.
They are sold as PDF's if you can't find a paper copy.
Image
travchao999
Stoat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby travchao999 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:35 am

My FLGS said that they have a copy on their cheap rack, so I'll go get that sometime.
Matt Wilson
Mongoose
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:41 pm
Location: Queens, NY, USA

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby Matt Wilson » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

sideranautae wrote:From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
GT: First In has some amazing worldgen stuff in it, but there's a lot, and building more than a few worlds with that system by hand would probably be like seeing a lovecraftian extradimensional horror.

The only notable "error" in there is that it expects you to set up every system based on Bode's Law.

But man there's good stuff in there if you want a detailed world. Ideas for weather, rolls to determine development of native life, special rules for tidelocked worlds, developing local cultures, etc.
User avatar
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby Reynard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:53 pm

If you desperately need to complicate a star system try MegaTraveller, the father of Uber Traveller where nothing is simple. Most likely you won't find the books but there's a program that produced entire sectors using MT sysgen and I think GURPS too. All the detailed information you will never actually use in a campaign but Refs are addicted to anyhow.

Also try http://heldenhaufen.de/T5/SectorMaker/Random which is T5 Traveller sysgen but still produces usable, very detailed systems.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Matt Wilson wrote:
sideranautae wrote:From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
GT: First In has some amazing worldgen stuff in it, but there's a lot, and building more than a few worlds with that system by hand would probably be like seeing a lovecraftian extradimensional horror.

The only notable "error" in there is that it expects you to set up every system based on Bode's Law.

But man there's good stuff in there if you want a detailed world. Ideas for weather, rolls to determine development of native life, special rules for tidelocked worlds, developing local cultures, etc.
True enough. But, having used other, prior Trav detailed gen systems, I would NEVER do it by hand again with those either. Anything beyond basic main world is too much to do by hand for more than a few systems.

This has been a HUMONGOUS shortcoming with those who own the Trav IP. As a game company, never putting out (and maintaining) a simple, badly needed piece of software to help GM's create a campaign setting.

I don't know about T5 but it is a dog anyway.
Image
User avatar
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby Reynard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 pm

T5 system doesn't give me problems. Has a detailed sysgen that compliments MgT. I can recommend it as I actually own and still enjoy MgT for its simplicity. Best of all worlds and don't knock another system unless it's been actually tried.

It would be interesting to see a MgT sysgen program with the Scout expansion as the combined generator is not that complex at all.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Reynard wrote: Best of all worlds and don't knock another system unless it's been actually tried.

I have "tried" T5. Like I said, it is a dog. 100 pages of errata and counting. It's not a game, it is an unfinished manuscript of a toolbox that might, someday, be turned into a game.

I'll "knock it" to the moon if I like. The Sysgen rules for T5 are currently under revision and review by Marc right now. T5 might be republished someday in a useable form. That'll probably be years from now though.
Image
User avatar
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby Reynard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:23 pm

And yet the sysgen works very well. So well the Traveller Map uses it. How is that possible? Hmm... Oh wait, you also believe nothing in Mongoose Traveller works either. Now I understand.

I'll stick what I know and still recommend T5 sysgen for an expanded version.

Also try Alternity Cosmos 2 if you want to see an attempt at 'realistic' sysgen including brown dwarves.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby Prime_Evil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:55 pm

sideranautae wrote:From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
The system generator in GURPS Space 4e is great, but EXTREMELY crunchy and heavy on maths....

If you're serious about using it, grab a copy of Agemegos' Handbook of the Planets spreadsheet, which automates most of the process. Simply follow the instructions, enter a personal universe number as a seed, and you'll be generating dozens of detailed systems in no time - most of them will be uninhabitable, but that's the problem with anything approximating scientific accuracy...

If you're curious, you can find a copy of the spreadsheet here:

https://gurps.net/wiki/_media/files/han ... beta23.xls
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby sideranautae » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Prime_Evil wrote:
sideranautae wrote:From what I've heard GURPS Traveller had the best as far as sys gen.
The system generator in GURPS Space 4e is great, but EXTREMELY crunchy and heavy on maths....

If you're serious about using it, grab a copy of Agemegos' Handbook of the Planets spreadsheet, which automates most of the process. Simply follow the instructions, enter a personal universe number as a seed, and you'll be generating dozens of detailed systems in no time - most of them will be uninhabitable, but that's the problem with anything approximating scientific accuracy...

If you're curious, you can find a copy of the spreadsheet here:

https://gurps.net/wiki/_media/files/han ... beta23.xls
Thank you sir!
Image
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller Extended UWP

Postby Prime_Evil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:09 pm

No problems. There's an older spreadsheet that uses the world generation system from First In instead - I'll see if I've still got the URL. It isn't as realistic, but may suit the needs of Traveller GMs better.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests