Relative power of skills

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Relative power of skills

Postby sideranautae » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 pm

In a general game (small ship ops, ground adventure, a little bit of trading, some combat, etc.) what do you think are:

The 3 best/most valuable skills? (CRB & HG lists)

The 3 least valuable skills? (CRB & HG lists)

Valuable: Gun Cbt, Pilot, Trader

Least valuable: Ship architect, Space Science, Animals
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Relative power of skills

Postby Infojunky » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 pm

sideranautae wrote:In a general game (small ship ops, ground adventure, a little bit of trading, some combat, etc.) what do you think are:

That's easy.

The 3 best/most valuable skills? Carousing, Streetwise and Persuade (though Forgery is right up there too)

The 3 least valuable skills? Battledress, heavy Weapons, Animals
Evyn
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 am

Infojunky wrote:
sideranautae wrote:In a general game (small ship ops, ground adventure, a little bit of trading, some combat, etc.) what do you think are:

That's easy.

The 3 best/most valuable skills? Carousing, Streetwise and Persuade (though Forgery is right up there too)

The 3 least valuable skills? Battledress, heavy Weapons, Animals
Animals FTW. Or, the loss in this case. :)

I over looked BD. But, yes it is at the bottom too.
Nerhesi
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Nerhesi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:34 am

3 most valuable - very tough: Broker for sure, then like a sixway tie between guncombat, pilot, persuade, streetwise, gunner, etc etc.. depending on your campaign/story.

3 least valuable - animals, seafarer, advocate
hiro

Postby hiro » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 am

Your list Sid probably sums up the most valuable, that said, it's difficult to reduce it to three cos you really need all the engineering/comms/sensor skills to keep a ship running but for valuable I'd go with medic (if you're gonna shoot people, expect to be shot), engineering (jump) and recon.

Vacc suit and zero G come in very handy

Bottom of the list in addition to those already stated: Art and any/all of the sciences.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:23 am

hiro wrote:Your list Sid probably sums up the most valuable, that said, it's difficult to reduce it to three cos you really need all the engineering/comms/sensor skills to keep a ship running but for valuable I'd go with medic (if you're gonna shoot people, expect to be shot), engineering (jump) and recon.

Vacc suit and zero G come in very handy

Bottom of the list in addition to those already stated: Art and any/all of the sciences.
Maybe make it top 6 and bottom 6. 3 IS too restricting.
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 pm

hiro wrote:Bottom of the list in addition to those already stated: Art and any/all of the sciences.
It all depends on the game.

Some people have a regular play group and a long running campaign or tend to run similiar characters and themes from game to game. Most of my games are "pick up" online games where there are different GMs and players and games often have variety.

For art, had one game where my character was a reporter covering a war. Had another game where the characters had art skill and their cover was as a traveling musical group.

For science, I'm in a current game where my character is a scientist investigating an alien ship with other characters being scout ship crew, gun bunnies, medics and such.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:16 pm

CosmicGamer wrote:
hiro wrote:Bottom of the list in addition to those already stated: Art and any/all of the sciences.
It all depends on the game.
I think based on the OP as far as game type.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Since most games involve gallivanting independently, I consider ship skills of great importance - Pilot, Astrogation, Engineer and Gunnery at the top. There's always a chance for planet side conflict so Gun Combat seems necessary. The sixth one I leave open as there are so many situations that call for any on of the many other skills.

As to 'least valuable', hmm... Least used that I often see would be Admin, Animal, Art, Investigate, and generally fill out the last two with the Sciences. If Traveller were played like Blade Runner the Investigate would be common, if more exploratory the sciences come in. These often seem more useful as NPC skills you quest for to address a problem. That goes for a lawyer for Advocate when you misjudge the Law Level.
ieqo
Weasel

Postby ieqo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Reynard wrote:Since most games involve gallivanting independently, I consider ship skills of great importance - Pilot, Astrogation, Engineer and Gunnery at the top. There's always a chance for planet side conflict so Gun Combat seems necessary. The sixth one I leave open as there are so many situations that call for any on of the many other skills.

As to 'least valuable', hmm... Least used that I often see would be Admin, Animal, Art, Investigate, and generally fill out the last two with the Sciences. If Traveller were played like Blade Runner the Investigate would be common, if more exploratory the sciences come in. These often seem more useful as NPC skills you quest for to address a problem. That goes for a lawyer for Advocate when you misjudge the Law Level.
Actually Admin gets used quite a bit in investagative games (or simply those that feature characters navigating the entrenched beauracy of the 3I). Several of the classic adventures called for admin checks somewhat regularly.
I'd tend to support Battle Dress as a least-useful skill, mostly because it isn't really something your average trader crew or small merc band can afford. Animal and Art skills are two that I sometimes go out of my way to squeeze into a scenario, but that's just it: you have to go out of your way to find a situation that needs them. Instruction has never been rolled at any table I've sat. Ditto with Recruiting. Other than those I've used (or required a player to use) pretty much all of the others at one time or another.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:57 am

Top Four:
Survival
Animals
Melee
Recon

Of course, this is using traveller for a bunch of mercenaries in Dark Ages England, so it's a bit skewed off normal. I don't see computers being a high priority.

At oe point there was a "Golden Age Of Piracy" sourcebook being discussed - anyone know if that got off the ground?
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.