What type of game are you running?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
EvilDM
Stoat

What type of game are you running?

Postby EvilDM » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Just out of interest, what type of game are you running?

A career specific one (Mercenary, Navy, etc.)?
A alien campaign?
The default "bunch of misfits in a ship" campaign?
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: What type of game are you running?

Postby hdan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

None at the moment, but I'm semi-seriously pulling together ideas for a "Bubblegum Crisis" type campaign, where players are Battle Dress equipped mercenary troubleshooters on a high TL, high POP world, probably a subsector capital or other important world. They might find themselves travelling to other worlds on temporary assignment, but we'll see.

Essentially, they'll be Traveller Superheroes. Or Supervillains, depending I guess. ;)
/hdan
ieqo
Weasel

Postby ieqo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 pm

In the past I've run the classic "traders trying to make ends meet" kind of campaign. Once, I ran a low-tech military-style Traveller/Morrow Project crossover that turned out to be a whole lot of fun. Currently I'm playing in a PbP Pirates of Drinax game, and am giving more and more serious though to running a espionage/diplomacy style of campaign in a homebrew sector. Think Casablanca with starships.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Currently we are in a Medical Rescue/investigation game that looks like it will go weird.
Evyn
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Infojunky wrote:Currently we are in a Medical Rescue/investigation game that looks like it will go weird.
Wait, you are a player in Beyond the Frontier? :mrgreen:

Things might just go weird.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:20 am

Running? *sigh* Haven't had a chance to run a Traveller game in about twenty years. Finally get to play in Pirates of Drinax and it's great, the game and playing! I like Traveller game that aren't just wandering aimlessly.

If I were to run a campaign, go look at the 'FTL starship today' thread. A crew testing a prototype starship while exploring Sol's neighborhood of stars for the next half year.
golem64
Shrew

Postby golem64 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:19 pm

I ran seven sessions of the Pirates of Drinax over the last year. It turned into a Merchant Prince and Diplomacy-style game. Very fun.
However, I found it hard to keep track of everything, so I decided to create my own campaign in the hopes that I could keep everything straight. It's a hybrid campaign called TransHuman Traveller. Primarily Mongoose Traveller, but with a variety of crunch and fluff borrowed from other settings and systems. We're hoping to get it going around mid-October.
tuz_sen
Weasel

Postby tuz_sen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 pm

The last campaign I ran/may still finish was a mercenary campaign on a world under invasion. Which ran parallel with a mercenary campaign on the invader's side.

Note: never run versed goal parallel campaigns they add to many variables especially when the further ahead time wise party has their session first.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 am

A very AI heavy, transhumanist setting with extreme computerisation and old, old non-human past civilisations (not even close in nature to OTU "rubber suit" aliens). Jump gates and limited (but quick) routes.

...Well it all started off as a plot were the PCs were involved as assistants and security to an archaeological crew digging up a series of sites containing old relics belonging to a past alien civilisation (there are many given the universe is pretty old) on a holiday resort planet. Material dug up leads (of course) to all sorts of merry jinks and problems, as information later disclosed at the academic base seems to compromise all sorts of contemporaneous setting beliefs that other political entities currently hold dear... and thus that they want to shut down and silence (as if), with extreme prejudice (may or may not be true). Many complications, innocent bystanders, various leads to follow, kidnappings, places to go in order to find info... etc. etc..
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Jacqual
Mongoose

Postby Jacqual » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 am

EvilDM wrote:Just out of interest, what type of game are you running?

A career specific one (Mercenary, Navy, etc.)?
A alien campaign?
The default "bunch of misfits in a ship" campaign?
I usually end up running a "Merchant Campaign" with a "Bunch of Misfits in the Ship" doing some odd adventures on the side to help make ends meet. With the occasional Merc Mission thrown in just to cheese the Merchant, when the players have to use the Trader to run a blockade or something else that gets it shot up good.
Jacqual Synn
Merchant Traveller
I was voted Captain of my team in Highschool, shame I was the only member.
Nerhesi
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Nerhesi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 pm

misfit/merchants who usually have ex military backgrounds that ultimately end up being more merc/blackops for some sort of Interstellar Powers. Gives a nice progression from rags to riches and muskets to battledress.
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Slowly trying to convert friends to "Casual Gamers" by running character generation sessions.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 am

I just did some pre-gens for my campaign: http://dragonersdomain.com/forum/viewto ... f=16&t=168

For my Beyond the Frontier pbp: The mission is on Ch2 "Questionable Things", where the players are in search of mysterious Zhodani prototype ship, on board a modified Type T turned into a raider (Type TR).

http://dragonersdomain.com/forum/viewto ... 3480#p3480

I have 2-3 slots open.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:16 pm

EvilDM wrote:Just out of interest, what type of game are you running?
New rules playtest.