Consolidating damage mechanics.

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Infojunky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 am

Right now there two damage mechanics, one for characters and one for Robots, vehicles and starships. Both systems have roll dice for damage the Character Damage is then counted directly against stats while the other consults a table for the number of "Hits" then rolls on a damage table that has statistic damage as well as "Critical Hits".

My thoughts are use the later system with characters. Characteristics can be converted for use with the hits table by dividing the physical one by three and rounding. Thus an average character would a Str, Dex and End of 2 each. In function when a hit is taken damage is worked normally then the total is compared to the chart on page 67 of the TMB, and the hits resulting are applied as described to the Characteristics as modified above.

This just a rough Idea that I have been kicking around, it also provides a mechanism for "critical hits" on characters. And the same mechanics are used through out the rules.

What do y'all think?
Evyn
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:39 am

Yes, more crunch is needed in Mongoose.
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Infojunky wrote:Right now there two damage mechanics, one for characters and one for Robots, vehicles and starships. Both systems have roll dice for damage the Character Damage is then counted directly against stats while the other consults a table for the number of "Hits" then rolls on a damage table that has statistic damage as well as "Critical Hits".

My thoughts are use the later system with characters. Characteristics can be converted for use with the hits table by dividing the physical one by three and rounding. Thus an average character would a Str, Dex and End of 2 each. In function when a hit is taken damage is worked normally then the total is compared to the chart on page 67 of the TMB, and the hits resulting are applied as described to the Characteristics as modified above.

This just a rough Idea that I have been kicking around, it also provides a mechanism for "critical hits" on characters. And the same mechanics are used through out the rules.

What do y'all think?
No.

The, rather gory, reason being that flesh behaves differently to kinetic and explosive impacts compared to the resistant materials that most vehicles are made out of (of course, if there is a vat grown robot, or tank, involved, you might want to stat them as a person).

Perhaps what you really want to do is to add some kind of location hit table to roll on when shooting at people? Certainly other Trav players have done that before, if you trawl this board you will probably find some suggestions.

Just a thought.

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Infojunky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 pm

Egil Skallagrimsson wrote: The, rather gory, reason being that flesh behaves differently to kinetic and explosive impacts compared to the resistant materials that most vehicles are made out of (of course, if there is a vat grown robot, or tank, involved, you might want to stat them as a person).
You're missing the point the question is about rules mechanics not simulation. All I am suggesting to regularize the damage mechanics across the board. The rules as written are already 90% of the way there. The only change is consolidating the hit points into 3 point chunks and consulting a table to see which Characteristic is reduced by how much.
Evyn
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Infojunky wrote:
Egil Skallagrimsson wrote: The, rather gory, reason being that flesh behaves differently to kinetic and explosive impacts compared to the resistant materials that most vehicles are made out of (of course, if there is a vat grown robot, or tank, involved, you might want to stat them as a person).
You're missing the point the question is about rules mechanics not simulation. All I am suggesting to regularize the damage mechanics across the board. The rules as written are already 90% of the way there. The only change is consolidating the hit points into 3 point chunks and consulting a table to see which Characteristic is reduced by how much.
I tend to that the rules mechanics do have a simulation aspect, which is fairly well achieved with the rules as they are, with separate treatment of damage to people compared to vehicles etc.

There is always the balance between playability and realism, which I think that MgT, as it stands, meets very well.

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Infojunky » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Egil Skallagrimsson wrote:
I tend to that the rules mechanics do have a simulation aspect, which is fairly well achieved with the rules as they are, with separate treatment of damage to people compared to vehicles etc.
Ah, but you see the rules don't do that, pretty much all damage is treated the same it just the results that are different, in that vehicles have critical hits and people don't. All I am proposing is to add in a chance for a critical on people.

Touching on the simulation aspect, then the current rules have it all wrong, because with physical trauma to people it is all about what critical system has been disrupted not specifically how much trauma has been inflicted.
Egil Skallagrimsson wrote: There is always the balance between playability and realism, which I think that MgT, as it stands, meets very well.
That is true, after 30 years that I am still favoring the 8+ on 2d6 says something. I also should point out that I am not advocating for an "Official" change in the rules here, I am playing with an idea that I came up with while writing my own campaign. And to be quite frank toying with the rules mechanics is the number one part of being a Traveller Fan.
Evyn
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Infojunky wrote:
Egil Skallagrimsson wrote:
I tend to that the rules mechanics do have a simulation aspect, which is fairly well achieved with the rules as they are, with separate treatment of damage to people compared to vehicles etc.
Ah, but you see the rules don't do that, pretty much all damage is treated the same it just the results that are different, in that vehicles have critical hits and people don't. All I am proposing is to add in a chance for a critical on people.

Touching on the simulation aspect, then the current rules have it all wrong, because with physical trauma to people it is all about what critical system has been disrupted not specifically how much trauma has been inflicted.
I tend to think that the "critical" hits on people are the reduction in capability as Str and Dex are reduced, unconsciousness (we play the rule where if a single hit which cause more than the original Endurance damage will cause unconsciousness as well), and death.

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Infojunky wrote:And to be quite frank toying with the rules mechanics is the number one part of being a Traveller Fan.
On that we definitely agree! :D :D

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Location: Arlington, TX USA

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:05 pm

An interesting idea.

What were your ideas for a human(oid) Critical Hit Table?
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Consolidating damage mechanics.

Postby Infojunky » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:An interesting idea.

What were your ideas for a human(oid) Critical Hit Table?
Honestly I am considering adapting the robots damage chart substituting in biological specific criticals. Like the Computer it being a brain hit with a auto knockdown/out and maybe some Int/Edu damage as well... It also would allow for equipment hits and the like, think some vital bit of you VaccSuit takes a hit...
Evyn

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnotherDilbert and 15 guests