Help with ship building;Plant TLs

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Help with ship building;Plant TLs

Postby zero » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 am

Just a quick post looking for advice on Power-Plant TLs...

My main plan is to build a small craft constructed by a TL7-8 society in their C-class Starport and I wanted to keep with things at this TL point that are grounded with things we have today. In effect I'm modding the Antique Shuttle from High Guard into something with a bit more... oomph :)

The shuttle uses a chemical plant, why not give the craft a fusion plant instead? Its faaar more efficient... What TL would fusion plants be feasible in a game? I was looking for some actual realism here, so if we cannot have fusion plants today (if someone could explain more, that'd be awesome), where are we for other options?

Anyway, I'm hoping to boost Thrust to 4 and have alot of room donated to fuel to make it's velocity greater and it's coasting a little shorter. A functional interplanetary shuttle so to speak, based around inner system travel.

Thanks in advance for all the help :mrgreen:
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Help with ship building;Plant TLs

Postby Jeraa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 am

According to High Guard (the section on capital ships), fusion plants are TL 8 minimum.

Fission plants are TL 7. If using High Guard changes, fission plants are twice the size and cost of fusion plants, but consume much less fuel. More efficient than the chemical plant, but not as good as the fusion plant. Modern aircraft carriers and some submarines use fission plants.
Last edited by Jeraa on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 am

zero wrote: The shuttle uses a chemical plant, why not give the craft a fusion plant instead? Its faaar more efficient... What TL would fusion plants be feasible in a game? I was looking for some actual realism here, so if we cannot have fusion plants today (if someone could explain more, that'd be awesome), where are we for other options?
At today's TL your only option would be a ship with an ion thruster. That is if you want to attempt something like going to Mars. This would be a thrust of mere fraction of a G.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 am

You can pick up the tech 1 TL sooner if you are willing to pay for it.

But you should also realize that certain tech will be imported just about all the time. Nations on this planet fly advanced commercial aircraft because it's more efficient to import them than to try and build it locally. Most heavy maintenance and the spares come from out of country (i.e. offworld in Traveller). No planet is going to be using rocket technology to get to orbit when they can purchase a grav shuttle that will do it faster, cheaper and safer. If they can't afford to buy it, then they can't afford a space program either. It's simple economics.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby sideranautae » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 am

phavoc wrote:You can pick up the tech 1 TL sooner if you are willing to pay for it.

But you should also realize that certain tech will be imported just about all the time. Nations on this planet fly advanced commercial aircraft because it's more efficient to import them than to try and build it locally. Most heavy maintenance and the spares come from out of country (i.e. offworld in Traveller). No planet is going to be using rocket technology to get to orbit when they can purchase a grav shuttle that will do it faster, cheaper and safer. If they can't afford to buy it, then they can't afford a space program either. It's simple economics.
Absolutely. Good points about the econ angles.