2300AD: Missing disadvantage: Depressed

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
kbob
Cub

2300AD: Missing disadvantage: Depressed

Postby kbob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 am

Hi,
I recently made my first character for 2300AD, and rolled the depressed disadvantage, from Core background disadvantages -table.
Unfortunately I can't find any information on what this actually does? Or is it merely a
flavor-disadvantage handled by medication.

BR,
KB
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: 2300AD: Missing disadvantage: Depressed

Postby TrippyHippy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 am

Don’t get depressed about it! :mrgreen:

I think the easiest representation is a -1DM on anything involving physical or mental activity (-1 to STR, DEX, END and INT) depending on the severity (if you roll it multiple times allow accumulation).
Outtasight!
kbob
Cub

Postby kbob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:55 am

My merchant is kind of awesome now. -1 from depression and -2 from annoying traits for a nice total of -3 to broker.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm

I would say "Depressed" would resolve itself more as an inability to concentrate and carry through on things. I would say that it would give a -1 DM to skill checks that have already failed once, and a -1 DM to any skill check that would take longer than 10 minutes.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:51 pm

As far as the Annoying Traits go, if they really, fundamentally change the character or make them unplayable, change them. The point is to have fun, afterall. Or maybe talk to your Referee, and see if you can make an END or INT check to suppress the traits for a period of time, perhaps based on the effects roll, and then see what happens as they kick back in (say, no modifier for 1 minute per point on teh effect roll, then -1 for a period of time equal to double the effect roll after that, and the then normal mod after that). The Psychology skill could be used as a DM as well. (you understand why you are annoying, and can supporess it for awhile).
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 am

Colin wrote:I would say "Depressed" would resolve itself more as an inability to concentrate and carry through on things. I would say that it would give a -1 DM to skill checks that have already failed once, and a -1 DM to any skill check that would take longer than 10 minutes.
I’d say that clinical depression goes a bit further than that however - varying with the patient of course.
Outtasight!