The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby sideranautae » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Image
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Reynard » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 pm

O_o

You just beat the nerd stuffing out of me! I though I actually spoke english.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby sideranautae » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 am

Reynard wrote:O_o

You just beat the nerd stuffing out of me! I though I actually spoke english.

No kidding same here. But, interesting anyway.
Image
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:53 am

There are good science news sources out there. Daily Galaxy isn't one of them.

This was a typical example of the sort of overly sensationalist, terribly written article that they produce that isn't even news (what they're talking about was presented at a conference in 2013, based on a paper from 2009). None of these are new ideas (though they are interesting).

It's also not particularly relevant to Traveller.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby sideranautae » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 am

Wil Mireu wrote:There are good science news sources out there. Daily Galaxy isn't one of them.
This is pretty much the same data put out by JPL/Nasa a several years ago. I was seeing if there had been an update since then. The data isn't new. And IS the current science in this area...
Image
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:14 am

sideranautae wrote:This is pretty much the same data put out by JPL/Nasa a several years ago. I was seeing if there had been an update since then. The data isn't new. And IS the current science in this area...
It's just one of the ideas about Dark Energy/Matter/Gravity/whatever. There isn't a real consensus about this, though most scientists seem to be favouring Dark Matter rather than modified gravity.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby sideranautae » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 am

Wil Mireu wrote:
sideranautae wrote:This is pretty much the same data put out by JPL/Nasa a several years ago. I was seeing if there had been an update since then. The data isn't new. And IS the current science in this area...
It's just one of the ideas about Dark Energy/Matter/Gravity/whatever. There isn't a real consensus about this, though most scientists seem to be favouring Dark Matter rather than modified gravity.
Has ZERO to do with consensus. Science isn't about consensus. (see scientific method for why not) What HAS been observed is that galactic rotation and behavior does not behave in accordance with the dark matter theory that is extant. Therefore, that theory has been falsified.
Image
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 am

sideranautae wrote:Has ZERO to do with consensus. Science isn't about consensus. (see scientific method for why not) What HAS been observed is that galactic rotation and behavior does not behave in accordance with the dark matter theory that is extant. Therefore, that theory has been falsified.
The consensus I'm talking about is based on evidence and many different groups coming to the same conclusion based on that evidence (the vast majority of which - including galactic rotation curves - points to Dark Matter, not modified gravity - see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matte ... l_evidence ). The modified gravity theory you linked to has not been confirmed (which is yet another example of Daily Gravity jumping the gun).

Of course, it may be too much to ask that you stop trolling and learn something for a change.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Reynard » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 am

So... gravity doesn't exist.

I smell a Monty Python cartoon sketch.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby sideranautae » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:09 am

Wil Mireu wrote: The consensus I'm talking about is based on evidence and many different groups coming to the same conclusion based on that evidence
All measurements of that aspect of galactic movement have been verified. The expected movement isn't there. Theory falsified. Once that happens. It is OVER.

I don't think you understand the matter. I'm NOT talking about a new theory at all. There DOES need to be a new theory. The former one on dark matter has been falsified.

Also, you need to find out the definition of trolling. You are badly confused. To put it politely.
Image
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 am

sideranautae wrote:
Wil Mireu wrote: The consensus I'm talking about is based on evidence and many different groups coming to the same conclusion based on that evidence
All measurements of that aspect of galactic movement have been verified. The expected movement isn't there. Theory falsified. Once that happens. It is OVER.

I don't think you understand the matter. I'm NOT talking about a new theory at all. There DOES need to be a new theory. The former one on dark matter has been falsified.
One paper doth not a falsification make, there are many other authors who have proposed different ideas about the nature of dark matter and dark energy. Some have been falsified over the years, but the idea of Dark Matter hasn't (which you'd understand if you even bothered to read that link I posted, which you clearly didn't). It's still being studied and nobody's come to any firm conclusions about it yet.

But if you think DM has been "falsified" then you're clearly clueless about the subject, and evidently you want to remain ignorant since you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong, or you just like starting arguments. As usual.
sideranautae
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby sideranautae » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:22 am

Wil Mireu wrote: One paper doth not a falsification make,
Of course not. I never said it did. I ACTUALLY stated different. So, what IS your point OTHER than that you didn't actually read what I wrote?

...
Image
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am

Re: The deeper we look, the more we realize we don't know...

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:08 am

sideranautae wrote:
Wil Mireu wrote: One paper doth not a falsification make,
Of course not. I never said it did. I ACTUALLY stated different. So, what IS your point OTHER than that you didn't actually read what I wrote?

...
sideranautae wrote:All measurements of that aspect of galactic movement have been verified. The expected movement isn't there. Theory falsified. Once that happens. It is OVER.
Apparently you don't even know what you write (that was in reference to me saying that the scientific consensus (based on the evidence) was that Dark Matter was more likely than modified gravity).

Here's a link for you to read. You may find it enlightening about your behaviour:
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... pathy.html

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests