MgT and the OTU

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

MgT and the OTU

Postby Sigtrygg » Wed May 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Is Mongoose allowed to use the other "historical" eras of the OTU?

Can you set adventures during the Long Night? Can you use the rebellion or hard times settings? What of T4 and TNE?

Are you allowed to move the setting forward by a few thousand years to get out of the 1105 canon rut?
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: MgT and the OTU

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Wed May 07, 2014 9:25 pm

Sigtrygg wrote:Is Mongoose allowed to use the other "historical" eras of the OTU?

Can you set adventures during the Long Night? Can you use the rebellion or hard times settings? What of T4 and TNE?

Are you allowed to move the setting forward by a few thousand years to get out of the 1105 canon rut?
In YTU, why should you stick to 1105 as a starting point?

MTU main campaign started in 1085, and some short "one offs" in the 604-622 period.

MgT is a game engine, but the background can be anything you want.

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
lexx2503
Shrew

Postby lexx2503 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

I agree with Egil. What's stopping you from running any time period or original setting you want? Nothing.
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm

There's nothing stopping him from running his own adventures in any era or setting, but I presume he's asking if Mongoose can publish anything official in those other eras of the Third Imperium.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Wed May 07, 2014 9:57 pm

You can't sell a product based on any of the versions of Traveller without permission from each owners of them. After that, Traveller has always encouraged to use its system to play what you want. If you read through many forum topics, people will reference other editions to make a point in association to Mongoose Traveller or show play experience based on older books.

The same thing can be said for all those alternate 3I and non-3I universes. They wouldn't have ever needed a sector generation system if they never planned for game masters to create worlds.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Reynard wrote:You can't sell a product based on any of the versions of Traveller without permission from each owners of them.
Ay, there's the rub.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Thu May 08, 2014 5:18 pm

My question is obviously badly worded - is Mongoose allowed to print new sourcebooks, adventures, equipment books for the other Traveller eras?

MWM owns everything GDW produced for Traveller in every incarnation, and he has allowed MgT to be adapted to T2300.

I just wondered if Mongoose is allowed to explore the other eras or even develop the unwritten ones - the Long Night is a particular favourite of mine (so was the War of the Ancients period but MGT SotA has done a pretty good job covering that).
lexx2503
Shrew

Postby lexx2503 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:59 pm

no problem. Apologies as I misunderstood the intent of your question. It is a good question and some official supplements even on some of the history would be nice. Like relic ships of older times we can use even in current setting campaigns would be neat.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon May 12, 2014 2:58 pm

The latest adventure is set during the "T4" (early Third Imperium) time frame. The intro discusses how to move it to other settings.

So, in general, it would appear that they can publish in other parts of the timeline, but haven't really started doing that yet.

I wonder if anyone would like to submit a proposal to Matt to write a sourcebook of one of these time periods???
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Wed May 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Like I said upthread, the era that really strikes me as having great potential but has so far received very little development is the Long Night.

There was also a proposed MegaTraveller adventure in production that would have detailed a group's adventures moving from era to era. (Military personal + others contaminated by something horrible during the ISW period who survive by locking themselves up in stasis to waken every few hundred years and see if a cure has been found yet - they would experience adventures during pivotal eras).

Both of these would be things I'd like to see.

Or move the setting then thousand years into the future, have jump drives for local travel and portal networks to access other parts of the galaxy - open up the whole galaxy for adventure. Visit the core to encounter the races that pre-date the ancients, visit the spiral arms and the outer rim of the galaxy, that sort of thing.