Re: Basic Character Generation 2d6 SF SR

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Isn't an SRD free and has more pages included?
hiro

Re: [Universal Machine] Basic Character Generation 2d6 SF SR

Postby hiro » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Wasn't this posted earlier today and mysteriously disappeared?
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:14 pm

hiro wrote:Wasn't this posted earlier today and mysteriously disappeared?
Yes the post was removed.
hiro

Postby hiro » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 pm

Something about commercial posts on the forum?

Here's hoping LBH will be along shortly, where's the report button?
hiro

Postby hiro » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 pm

:shock:

It's gone again!

Please delete the thread!
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Why is it being deleted? If it's a document describing basic character generation released under the OGL, what's the problem?
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:36 am

Its not a Traveller Licensed product.
Download our newest book: Solomani Worlds: Vehicles of the Rim today.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:32 am

The basic character generation stuff isn't actually in the Mongoose Traveller SRD.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56 am

It seems like this is an attempt to reverse-engineer some of the sections omitted from the "official" SRD - think of it as a Traveller retroclone :D

It seems like Mongoose is slowly working on an update to the core rulebook and hopefully they will update the SRD at the same time. If this is the case, they might open up some sections of the system that are currently defined as PI. When the Mongoose version of Traveller was released, they were very conservative about what they released to third-party developers because they didn't want to make it easy to clone the entire game system. (Actually, some areas that Mongoose Traveller considers as PI were available as OGC via the T20 product line and could easily be ported across, but go figure...).
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am

It's a scam of some kind on drive thru rpg. Selling sections of a core book at $1 a page. The PDFs are still for sale there.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:It's a scam of some kind on drive thru rpg. Selling sections of a core book at $1 a page. The PDFs are still for sale there.
Nope, it's not a scam and it's not selling sections of a core book as none of the content has come from any core book - it's all OGC/OGL and you get a number of files in different file formats (.doc, docx, .odt etc) although admittedly the content is the same in all the files. A rough calculation puts the cost per word at less than £ 0.01 per word, even when you ignore the words on the "cover" and the text of the OGL (which can't be charged for anyway).

It's actually the same idea as Mongoose's own Legend books i.e. everything in the Legend series of books is OGC, and Legend is based on the d100 system which is itself OGC.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:52 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Isn't an SRD free...
Not necessarily - just check out Mongoose's own Legend series of books. They are all OGC and can be considered to be types of SRD yet they're not free. Note that there is no free Word document version of Legend available. Although the d100 system itself, on which Legend is based, can be downloaded for free from a number of different sites (as can a whole host of d20 SRD variants).
...and has more pages included?
Maybe it's just one part or section of a SRD?
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Prime_Evil wrote:It seems like this is an attempt to reverse-engineer some of the sections omitted from the "official" SRD - think of it as a Traveller retroclone :D ...snip... (Actually, some areas that Mongoose Traveller considers as PI were available as OGC via the T20 product line and could easily be ported across, but go figure...).
Indeed. Large chunks of the of the T20 character generation process are OGC and could very easily be ported across to a simple 2d6 system withough having to touch the Traveller SRD v. 1.1.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Gruffty the Hiver,

Forget about SRD for a minute. Legion is $1. It's a complete core rule book. The 2d6 SF thing costs more and only covers rolling 2d6 for six characteristics and determining characteristic modifiers. Are you ok with that?

Anyway, the thread starter from a 1-post spammer was deleted for a reason.
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm

The publisher, UMP, is actually owned by the same guy who runs Spica.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:50 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Gruffty the Hiver,

Forget about SRD for a minute. Legion is $1. It's a complete core rule book. The 2d6 SF thing costs more and only covers rolling 2d6 for six characteristics and determining characteristic modifiers. Are you ok with that?

Anyway, the thread starter from a 1-post spammer was deleted for a reason.
The Basic Character Generation document is definitely too expensive for what it is IMO. However, I don't see how it's a "scam" or "spam" of any sort.
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Gruffty the Hiver wrote:Maybe it's just one part or section of a SRD?
Wouldn't it be better to publish the whole SRD at once rather than in sections?
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 am

That would certainly make sense.

I wonder what he will do once he hits the careers section? The official Mongoose SRD provides the general format for the careers and the Scout career in full - bur none of the others. On the other hand, the T20 rulebook released most the other careers as Open Game Content - but not in the format used by Mongoose / Classic Traveller. An interesting dilemma...
hiro

Postby hiro » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Can a mod please pipe up, why was the original thread/first post in this thread deleted?

Grufty, are you the UMP author/publisher?
atpollard
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby atpollard » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Wil Mireu wrote:
ShawnDriscoll wrote:Anyway, the thread starter from a 1-post spammer was deleted for a reason.
The Basic Character Generation document is definitely too expensive for what it is IMO. However, I don't see how it's a "scam" or "spam" of any sort.
Spammer: Yes and No. It is a legitimate effort at a commercial product, but ...
... The Traveller Logo License Specifically prohibits character generation rules, and these are character generation rules, so an announcement of this particular product may indeed be inappropriate for the Traveller Forum. So it is spam in the same sense that an announcement of a D&D product in the Traveller forum is spam ... but it is not spam like an advertisement that 'Russian Women Want to talk with You'.

Too Expensive: Yes, I agree.

So how about some topic drift into a related issue ...

CHARGEN IN THE SRD:
I think that I understand why Mongoose removed Chargen from the TLL, to prevent a Traveller Logo Traveller Clone game ... you need the Traveller core book to play Traveller. That said, it has caused me some personal difficulty. I always felt that the Low TL Traveller worlds were getting short changed. There are lots of neat things that can be done with a Starship landing at a Class E Starport on a world of TL 0-3. So I wanted to create a Traveller Supplement/Adventure for a TL 0 World.
There is lots of interesting things that can be done with Cultures.
There is a lot of room to work with new/special Equipment.
There is opportunity to create some new Classes and tweak the skill lists for the conditions.
... However, the basic Traveller Chargen system will not really work for creating a Stone Age character. The initial range and statistical spread of the attributes needs to be adjusted to avoid a Hunter-Gatherer Imperial Baron of the Great Plains. :)
I even thought about just setting a range of appropriate characteristic values for a TL 0 character and letting the user figure out how to modify the Core Book Chargen to get the range, but all Chargen is forbidden under the Traveller Logo License ... so the project died at inception.

Sure, I could pursue a separate license agreement from Mongoose and FFE or I could pitch the idea for publication through Mongoose ...
Or I could produce a complete stand alone product ... "Paleo Wanderer" ...
... but I just had an idea for a Traveller Adventure in an under-represented setting ... a low TL world.
... and, frankly, both of those options are way too much hassle.

So I moved on to other projects.
There are lot of other possibilities that would run into the No Chargen with Traveller Logo problem ... like a new minor alien race, just to name one.

So does anyone else have any thoughts on whether Chargen should be in the Traveller SRD?
Available with the Traveller Logo?