No hardcopy of new MGT stuff?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

No hardcopy of new MGT stuff?

Postby FreeTrav » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 pm

For about a year, now, it seems, neither my FLGS (The Compleat Strategist, NYC) nor their distributor has been getting new Traveller stuff from Mongoose. This is a Bad Thing, as it means that Matt et alia are not getting their share of my money, and I am not getting my Traveller Stuff. I would very much like to keep getting my Stuff through CS, because of Bits and Mortar - I want to support my FLGS, and I don't want to pay twice for the same item (once for paper, once for ebook), but both media forms have a place in my library. Can someone from Mongoose look into this, and either fix the problem or give me a satisfactory alternative?
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Re: No hardcopy of new MGT stuff?

Postby JRoss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 pm

I would say that part of the problem is page count. In print, things are limited by printing signatures, eight sheets of paper stacked and folded in half. Each signature is 32 pages. A lot of products now being made for DTRPG are not in multiples of 32 pages.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm

I think the 2013 State of the Mongoose addresses to reasons behind this.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 pm

GypsyComet wrote:I think the 2013 State of the Mongoose addresses to reasons behind this.
Link, please? Can't seem to find it on the board anywhere...
Jeff Zeitlin
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Still looking, but this is the topic that discussed it. You even took part.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54657

The precis was that Mongoose was releasing PDF first, and only releasing hardcopy if the PDF sales indicated enough interest to justify a run.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 pm

GypsyComet wrote:Still looking, but this is the topic that discussed it. You even took part.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54657

The precis was that Mongoose was releasing PDF first, and only releasing hardcopy if the PDF sales indicated enough interest to justify a run.
Ah. I'd found it, but it was the State of 2012, so...

I'd hoped there was a later one, updating things.
Jeff Zeitlin
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Hardcopies of Traveller book will be flowing freely by Summer this year, along with a few new surprises :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 pm

msprange wrote:Hardcopies of Traveller book will be flowing freely by Summer this year, along with a few new surprises :)
Yay!, especially if it includes the ones - almost a dozen, IIRC - that I haven't gotten yet because I've been waiting for the hardcopy (Bits & Mortar, remember?)! :mrgreen:
Jeff Zeitlin
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 pm

"For about a year, now, it seems, neither my FLGS (The Compleat Strategist, NYC) nor their distributor has been getting new Traveller stuff from Mongoose."

That's so strange. The New York store is the main store. I use the King of Prussia, Pennsylvania store and it carries all the current books available. They stay in stock and will order something you request if it's out.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Reynard wrote:"For about a year, now, it seems, neither my FLGS (The Compleat Strategist, NYC) nor their distributor has been getting new Traveller stuff from Mongoose."

That's so strange. The New York store is the main store. I use the King of Prussia, Pennsylvania store and it carries all the current books available. They stay in stock and will order something you request if it's out.
I suppose it might be a distributor issue, and KoP uses a different one than NYC. OTOH, it just might be that the ones I've "missed" are the ones that haven't come out in DTF yet...
Jeff Zeitlin
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:09 pm

I'd say the latter since KoP calls its orders to NYC. I know as I've been there when he phones orders.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 pm

FreeTrav wrote:
msprange wrote:Hardcopies of Traveller book will be flowing freely by Summer this year, along with a few new surprises :)
Yay!, especially if it includes the ones - almost a dozen, IIRC - that I haven't gotten yet because I've been waiting for the hardcopy (Bits & Mortar, remember?)! :mrgreen:

I know my local game store (Dallas, TX) hasn't been able to get any of the new books for a while because their distributor doesn't have them. They have an auto-order to get a couple of copies of anything new shipped to them. When I spoke to them about this months ago they told me they don't have anything in the pipeline. Last I heard there was something going on with the US printer and Matt said they were working on getting a new one.

I'm a big fan of Bits & Mortar too. Not sure if I will buy paper to replace the PDF's I've bought from Drivethru and Mongoose though. I do like having paper and byte copies of each though.