K'Kree, Virushi, & Hivers oh my

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Tikon2000
Weasel

K'Kree, Virushi, & Hivers oh my

Postby Tikon2000 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Seeing a plethora of supplements coming out. Wondering if any new race books are in the pipeline? Big 2: K'kree and Hivers. And can anyone tell me where the Virushi are in the Mongoose edition?
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: K'Kree, Virushi, & Hivers oh my

Postby GypsyComet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:55 pm

So far the Virushi haven't appeared. In the meantime if you have the CT Contact article you can use it straight. The GURPS version uses most of the same text.

Considering the level Mongoose alien books have been written to, both the Hivers and K'kree are not easy projects. I'm curious if all the interest is practical, by people who want to play in those regions, or academic, by people wanting to see progress on setting books ("ANY setting books!").
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
Tikon2000
Weasel

Postby Tikon2000 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:40 pm

I just finished running a T20 game "scout cruiser", with one of my players playing a Virushi. Thought it was pretty fun. Yeah the race books are pretty intensive, but pretty popular too it seems.
Another supplement book would be cool. One for "minor" races. That way you get another popular supplement book and a whole bunch of new fun options for players.
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Why not use the Alien Races books from GURPS Traveller? OK, you won't get Mongoose-compatible game rules for them, but you'll get the background info at least.

Zhodani/Vargr: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gur ... en-races-1
K'Kree/Aslan: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gur ... en-races-2
Hivers/Droyne(+Ancients): http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gur ... en-races-3
Minor races: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gur ... en-races-4
Tikon2000
Weasel

Postby Tikon2000 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah I've seen those. Great background. Still I'd like to see a Mongoose specific game version out. With added ships & technology perhaps? A Virushi RV would be interesting ;)
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Ships built specifically for the Virushi are probably very rare, though you have to wonder how they get into most of the Type S variants, never mind the Donosev.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 pm

GypsyComet wrote:Ships built specifically for the Virushi are probably very rare, though you have to wonder how they get into most of the Type S variants, never mind the Donosev.
I would guess that Virushi aren't generally found in 'stock' human-proportioned ships, except in extremis, and then it's most likely in a converted cargo hold. Ships built for Virushi use are probably more akin - at least size-wise - to K'kree designs, though if Virushi don't suffer from isolation claustrophobia, it might be possible to reduce the size by half to two-thirds. But there's going to be a certain minimum, simply because the elephant in the room... I mean, the Virushi in the room... needs a certain amount of space just to turn around.

So, no, there aren't any 100-ton Type S for Virushi. The Type S/V is probably a minimum of 300t.
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 am

Virushi are loners, so no separation anxiety to worry about at the racial level. They outmass K'kree by quite a bit, but only need about half the minimum quarters space. I could certainly see them appreciating something like a K'kree ship, especially the high ceiling, but they don't need it.

The T20 Type S could probably handle a Virush with some refitting.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 am

FreeTrav wrote:
So, no, there aren't any 100-ton Type S for Virushi. The Type S/V is probably a minimum of 300t.
Jeff you got it all wrong Virushi are why all those ships have those wide 1.5 meter hallways.... :D

Though they tend to break 4 ton staterooms.....

Imagine this, one in freefall....
Evyn
Jacqual
Mongoose

Postby Jacqual » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

I am happy that Hiver's is not out yet, I do not want to be manipulated into purchasing the book against my will. All the while with me thinking I really want the book.
Jacqual Synn
Merchant Traveller
I was voted Captain of my team in Highschool, shame I was the only member.