Mercenary License

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Jak Nazryth
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Mercenary License

Postby Jak Nazryth » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:46 pm

I read this somewhere once, but what is the cost to attain a Mercenary License? My players are thinking of gong that route and will need that designation to carry military style weaponry.
I accidentally purchased the "little" Mercenary booklet and quite frankly, my eyes are shot and I can barely read the type. Any of you guys out there run or play mercs that are familiar with all the "legal" costs of becoming a Merc unit? I'm waiting now for the second addition before I buy the 'big" book.
Thanks
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Mercenary License

Postby dragoner » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't remember that from Mercenary (and I looked and didn't find anything), but the CSC starting on page 19 has a section on permits and legalities, it is for weapons though.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 pm

I would think that large organizations regiments, maybe even battalions, and up would need an Imperial Charter. Below that they may get a license to practise in that subsector or sector.

Squad or section size may be considered freelancers and upto planetary or equivalent authorities to authorize them to operate in their bailiwick.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Condottiere wrote:I would think that large organizations regiments, maybe even battalions, and up would need an Imperial Charter. Below that they may get a license to practise in that subsector or sector.

Squad or section size may be considered freelancers and upto planetary or equivalent authorities to authorize them to operate in their bailiwick.
Wonder if that will be covered by Merc 2?
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:54 pm

There was MegaTraveller period material that covered the requirements of "Star Mercs", or mercenary companies that used starships and/or craft for more than just transport. Because they operated explicitly in the space between worlds they needed an Imperial licence, typically administered by the Navy. Companies that use their ships only for transport of ground forces should not need the same level of license, if they need one at all.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
Jak Nazryth
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jak Nazryth » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

I requested that this kind of information be part of the new Merc2 handbook.
Basically I would love to see two specific rules which have dogged/bugged Traveller GM's and players for the last 30 years...

1) How much does it cost to acquire a merc license, or more specifically "Star-Merc" License, which will allow a "non-Government" ship to mount "military" weaponry. (And what is the legal process)

2) A concise list of weapons that can be legally installed on civilian star ships, para-militray ships with a legitimate Mercenary License, and finally the weapons that can ONLY be installed on Government Military vessels.

Two or Three paragraphs, even.. (gasp) 1 or 2 chapters in the new Merc-2 book would clear up lots of headaches and arguments for GM's and players alike.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

1. This particular niche of the Mercenary genre I'm not really familiar with.

2. I'm going to speculate that anything with a jump drive that has paramilitary shipboard weaponry is going to need to be licensed, probably at the Sector level. This would be separate from a permit for the Mercenary organization operating them.

3. I'm also going to speculate that you need a license or temporary permit to carry non-starships equipped with shipboard paramilitary weaponry onboard a starship.

4. Operating within a system may require a valid permit from planetary/system authorities; since there may be competing authorities, of which the issuer may be the losing side, this could get awkward.

5. Letters of Marque may authorize legalized piracy; probably not an issue insystem, perhaps you get Imperial entanglements if it's applied in the next parsec.
coldwar
Stoat

Postby coldwar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 pm

page 42 in the merc book kind of explains what a Merc ticket is. Not only is it the contract a merc signs. But it is also the legal licence to carry out that specific job and recognised by local authorities. (Though could not be recognised by another authority a parsec away aligned against the first one.)
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 am

An Imperial Charter should ensure that employees working for that contractor wouldn't be shot out of hand, not without incurring an Imperial inquiry.