Solomani Confederation (Military)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Re: Solomani Confederation (Military)

Postby Condottiere » Tue May 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Another reason for the Volunteers, would be so that the Confederation can push young Solomani towards the frontier from the interior.

While after their enlistment is up, the Navy offers them transportation to any Confederation planet within reason or their homeworld, the idea is that they'll want to settle on the frontier, which acts as the additional advantage of creating veteran colonies.

I'm sure that the Confederation has a less paramilitary Peace Corps equivalent to act as their evangelistic instrument.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Re: Solomani Confederation (Military)

Postby Condottiere » Sun May 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Solomani Military: Cavalry Squadrons

I will state that I didn't consciously try to conjure them to be Spacemarine Chapters, it's just that when I reflected, they seem awfully derivative. Maybe parallel evolution.

Cavalry squadrons are supposed to be capped at two hundred and ninety permanent personnel, whereas the Smurfs dictate a thousand directly. The Forty Kay variant is based on the classic regimental establishment, whereas mine is to stop short of one man less of what's usually considered the lowest number for an infantry battalion.

The commanding officer would be The Captain, though for what appears to be a heavily reinforced company, you'd usually bump that to major; but Captain fulfills both roles as head of the company, and that of the starship. There can be only one, and he's both ground troops and ship commander.

Since a cavalry squadron would at least need to be nominally independent, it has an organic flight department that flies and maintains the starships and smallcraft attached to the squadron, hence Captain.