Solomani Confederation (Military)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Re: Solomani Confederation (Military)

Postby Condottiere » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm

Confederation Navy: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock

Two Minervas and two Jupiters are exactly eighty hundred points.

While that seems like a lot of firepower, with six missile and ten squadron slots, the Celestra is struggling to bandaid any battlestar that suddenly springs a leak.

One more reason that the Confederation might neglect building cruiser hulls could be that they might have (deliberately) built shipyards that can more easily cater to really large hulls, allowing them to concentrate on one type of vessel category more efficiently, than spreading their resources and diversifying their supply chain(s).

I think that one hull configuration allows them to bypass any shipyard bottlenecks, and that would be planetoids, which are really cheap for insystem traffic, become rather inefficient after you have to install jump factor two jump drives.

I guess that's something to investigate, and see if Solomani Security could have viably built these infiltration starwarships.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Powered through Resurrection, on which I have been trying out the battle group compositions.

It's understandable why there's a hard cap on seven selections (plus one), because I grew bored when I maxed out missile boats, and had to individually target select (you don't have to, but Rangers are relatively squishy, and there's not much leeway for miscalculations).

Having two Jupiter Twos and the original gangster left me four hundred fifty short, with which you can't do anything, but rather resilient; problem was, all your eggs were in one basket, and needing to keep a constant flak shield made firing off your missile salvoes really tricky.

Two Jupiters and two Minervas might seem the ideal compromise being exactly eighty hundred, but perhaps I just couldn't figure out an effective deployment scheme, when facing equal or greater numbers; attrition works both ways, it's not that you lose, it's that you tend to get one of them blown up.

Same issue with five Artemises; on equal or greater terms, you tend to lose a battlestar. With both configurations, you could try my original strategy of running like hell, and letting the Vipers and missiles thin out the opposition, before turning around, but I've been forming a battle line at the edge of the battle fleet, or jumping in as close as possible, and with these groupings, that doesn't seem to work out.

I finished the final mission with the configuration I originally came up with and seems to have been the best of all worlds, two Jupiter Twos, an Artemis, a Ranger and a Celestra. The Celestra by default keeps uparmouring the Artemis, and resupplying the Ranger. As long as the flak screen is up, the battlestar wall of battle is close to invulnerable, and with it's artillery, sudden death to anything within range, exception seems to be the Cerastes gunboat.

I'm pretty sure that the two Jupiter Two flak screens are wide enough to cover both flanks simultaneously, something that occurred to me on the last mission as I was getting sandwiched. As mentioned before, having the flak screen up tended to neutralize the battlestar's ability to effectively use it's missile magazines, which is where the Ranger comes in, if you use it as a fast recycling stand off missile platform.

So I'm left with trying out four Minervas and a Manticore, and three Jupiters and an Artemis; I've been trying out a mix of Herculii and Atlases and a Ranger, and unless the game ever has scenarios where you're forced to have them in your order of battle, the Janus class is relatively dead weight.

It might be really exciting to create a flotilla of Manticores, if you're willing to accept losses, and since you have the numbers, try a double envelopment with missiles, possibly nukes; never thought it worthwhile to try on campaign, might be viable in skirmish. Manticores, so far, have had only two uses, tax collectors and filling any hole that an Adamant couldn't fit into. If your game doesn't allow you to do multiple restarts, the third would be reconnaissance, since you either park them somewhere and wait to see if the Toasters turn up, or do tactical scouting by jumping in, try to identify the composition of the Cylon task group, and then jump out.

Berzerks turned out to be good at one thing: when you have excess building capacity, give them the extra slots, and when completed, trade them in for requisition points. Started that with the extra Adamants, then realized that the Berzerks were slightly cheaper for the same requisition points.

Adamants and Artemises are great for the beginning of a campaign, and small task groups, but too fragile in mid game.

Anabasis is next, where the point seems to be succeeding with the minimum point total, so I'll continue to try out a combination of Herculii and Atlases with one or two Rangers, and backtrack in Resurrection to see if I can pull it off with non battlestar groupings.

Oh, and two Jupiters, a Jupiter Two and either a Minotaur gunship, an Adamant or a Janus.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:40 pm

One interesting use of the Herculii would be having one top and bottom, sandwiching a less offensive ship, the only candidate that qualifies is the Atlas carrier; however, that a waste of points, so I sandwiched the Hercules between two Atlases, and it seems to act as a missile magnet. A slight outward bulge, to give the heavy guns a wider angle of attack.

That made two walls of battle, together with a Ranger for the missile element which equals seventy seven hundred fifty, each wall outputting about fourteen heavy guns per broadside, and six squadrons, totalling twelve squadrons and twenty eight heavy guns per broadside, plus two missile slots.

Compared to a pair of two Jupiter Twos, an Artemis and a Ranger, with four missile slots, ten squadrons and a helluvalot of extra heavy artillery.

Cutting down the battle by a Hercules and an Atlas, the three Atlases became the wall, and the lone Hercules about a thousand metres in front of it, the idea being that the flak screen will absorb the incoming missiles; this means, your primary offensive aspects would be nine squadrons and two missiles slots at default fifty four hundred fifty points, not counting Viper Twos, Taipans and Assault Raptors.

Rather have two Jupiter Twos.

I think I have to place the Hercules closer to the Atlas wall, and allow it to naturally unmask it during the course of the engagement, meaning the early concentration should against the Hercules, leaving nine heavy guns unscathed.

In Anabasis, it becomes a question of waiting for the timer to run out before jumping, which tends to accumulate Toasters appearing; in theory, you could place the civilian ships between the Atlas wall and the Hercules, or just behind the Atlases; in practice, the Toasters tend to arrive from all directions.

You could cocoon the civilian ships inbetween two Jupiters, their flak screens probably would be just about wide enough.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:46 pm

I think if I could alter one ship, it would be the Atlas carrier: I would take the armament of the the Hercules heavy cruiser, and fuse it with the Atlas.

The Hercules is a dead end design, there's really no space left to add either missiles or an aerospace wing; if you tried attaching a pod, either top or bottom, one of the heavy batteries would have to be dismantled.

With the Atlas, adding the ten gun point defence flak screen broadsides would ensure it could survive in the frontline, while eight gun heavy artillery top and bottom would mean it would be two steps removed from being a battlestar.

The third prong of the naval trident, missiles, can easily be outsourced, as if there's a continuous flak barrage, and the mobility of a dead duck, it's doubtful there would be much of a chance for the Atlas to use them.

The front has the launch pad, and the rear the engines, so no space for guns.

I was wondering if I would be happier with an extra squadron, but thought that means you'd have to extend the hull, and even if the armament of the Hercules did require more surface area, slimming it down would still make it highly effective on the Atlas.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:55 am

A Short History of Ships Cats - Floating Felines, Maritime Moggies and Kleptomaniac Kittens

A quick look at the origins of a vital part of the ships maintenance crew, and some notable examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7HIY0GTEC8

Can also predict potential misjumps.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Confederation Navy: Doctrine

1. Fleet units have a strategic movement factor of four, and a tactical manoeuvre factor of seven.

2. Auxiliary units have a strategic movement factor of two, and a tactical manoeuvre factor of five.

3. Strategic reconnaissance is conducted by either by heavily stealthed spacecraft, or by starships with factor five jump drives.

4. Fleet reconnaissance assets have a strategic movement factor of four.

5. Short range reconnaissance requires units capable of strategic movement factor of two, and able to return with onboard bunkerage.

6. Close range reconnaissance overlaps with long range picketing and off system patrolling, vessels that pack a monojump drive and lots of bunkerage for extended patrols.

7. Tactical reconnaissance would be usually performed insystem, by a combination of manned and unmanned spacecrafts.

8. Reconnaissance craft capable of strategic movement factor six or inordinately stealthed, if they exist, are probably prototypical and under the operational control of Solomani Security.