Ship Design Philosophy

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Ship Design Philosophy

Postby Sigtrygg » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 pm

I'm really surprised you haven't posted Scott Manley's latest youtube offering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZv_OXA_NI
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 pm

I probably would have, once I got around to it.

As I tell my colleagues and family, you can't watch, listen and/or read everything, and even then, backlog.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:01 am

Spaceships: Engineering and Far Future Rocket Engine Technologies - Fission, Fusion & Antimatter

In my NSWR video I used Kerbal Space Program to visualize the operation of this awesome engine in an imaginary future, this came from a free, fan created mod which covered a whole host of future engine concepts - Far Future Technologies by Nertea.

The mod is available for the latest version of Kerbal Space Program, and I suggest looking at the other mods produced by the same creator covering a number of other space technologies not in the base game.
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...

These designs and many more are covered in much more detail by Winchel Chung's Atomic Rockets website which is an invaluable resource if you're interested in realistic science fiction futures
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZv_OXA_NI

1. Impulse magnetic fusion engine with solar panelling -
Condottiere wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:12 am
2. Spherical tokamak fusion engine - leakage; railgun compression?

3. Fission fragment afterburner - cooling centrifuge?

4. Once you have a magnetic field or a bottle, you already have the basis of fusion containment, so unless this supercharges reactionary rockets, or creates a less thirsty variant, doesn't seem much point.

5. Anti matter is out of the scope, at least for technological level fourteen.

6. Apparently, engine thrust generation will need radiators to keep them cool.

7. I'm missing some form of ion drive with a reasonable acceleration.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:19 am

All of these designs are near future - they use known physics and engineering

We use antimatter today on a regular basis - the antimatter initiated fusion rocket doesn't use much in the way of antimatter.

The radiators are a necesity to transfer some energy from the rocket to the spacecraft - you need a temperature gradient..
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm

High Guard lists viable anti matter power plants (and ordnance) availability at technological level twenty, so presumably an anti matter propulsion drive might be a couple of levels below that.

For real life, I would think they'd first develop an anti-matter warhead to replace the fusion one in strategic missile platforms.

I doubt that an anti matter drive would ever be permitted or developed, because either you'd need a containment system to neutralize a lot of them until required, or you can create anti matter on the spot, which isn't ideal either.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 pm

Traveller's take on antimatter is about as real world as its computer and personal communications predictions.

Antimatter is akin to battery technology. You would need to build large antimatter production facilities close to stars that can harness the energy from the star using solar panels to create the antimatter - you are effectively storing the star's energy in a much more 'energy dense' form.

Any power plant, fusion or antimatter, powering a ship to fractional c is a weapon of mass destruction if used in that way, so antimatter is no better or worse really.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Inspiration: Upgunning

Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Spaceships: Accommodations and Space:1999 EAGLE assembly & walkthrough

This is a CGI recreation of the Eagle spacecraft from Space:1999 showing an assembly and a walkthrough of the interior. It is not 100% canon to the show but have tried to be respectful of both Brian Johnson and Keith Wilson's vision for the show. I took inspiration from the Dinky Eagle replica for the main hatch and gangway stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8uIogh ... =TedRivers

Module, pod and/or docker clamped.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:31 pm

Spaceships: Accommodations and Solomani Housing Blocks

1. Image

2. Enhanced security - outside of Star Force One and a prison ship, seems a waste of space and money.

3. Gated communities - I think this works out for Presidential suites and maybe high passage staterooms.

4. Steerage block is interesting, though I think one and a half tonnes is the same as cabin space, plus borderline amenities; I don't see life support costs.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Spaceships: Bridging the Gap

Apparently, you can now pilot, without penalty, a two hundred tonne spaceship with a dual cockpit.

Life support not withstanding.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 pm

Spaceships: Engineering, Thrust Zero and the Gripen Class

1. High Guard - A manoeuvre drive with Thrust 0 allows for station keeping to maintain position (such as with an orbiting station) but is not sufficient to move the hull any great distance.

2. Sword Worlds - It uses a minimal m-drive to nullify its mass, enabling the high burn thruster to produce an incredible rate of acceleration.

3. Which does not jive with my understanding of the technological level seven station keeper.

4. Though to be fair, it never made much sense in the first place, considering it's one technological level before the invention of gravitational motors, and two of that of the manoeuvre drive.

5. Sword Worlds - So long as power remains, the manoeuvre drive can provide a little thrust, enabling an out of fuel Gripen to make an assisted glide home.

6. Which I agree with, being aerodynamically finned, though one supposes the pilot would leave some juice in the batteries.

7. On the other hand, if the design used orbitally ranged lifters, that would sound more logical.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am

Spaceships: Hulls and Standardized Craft Docking System

1. This is a really interesting innovation from the Sword Worlds.

2. It's like hugging any number of subsidiary vessels, to the maximum tonnage capacity per dock.

3. You can only dock or launch one vessel at a time.

4. You have to specify the maximum tonnage of the subsidiary vessel that the dock can handle, and apparently that trickles down to the minimum size that dock can handle, as well.

5. An interesting feature is that if you only dock one vessel, regardless of dock designed capacity, you can use the full capacity of the dock for that vessel.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Spaceships: Armaments, Light Lasers and the Gripen Class

1. Admittingly, vehicle design isn't my forte.

2. As I recall dirtside weapon system emplacement on a spacecraft, it's either a quarter tonne or less, or one tonne or more.

3. I believe a light laser is two tonnes and sixty kilostarbux, each.

4. That would make the Gripen thirty percent underweight, and a hundred kay starbux short; installation fee does not apply.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:51 am

Spaceships: Accommodations and SPACE 1999 Eagle - fully autonomous Part 1

- Arduino driven
- Infrared controlled
- Motorized Doors
- 12 functions: Position light, Ambient light, Computers screen, CM light, Fly light, Vertical motors, Main motors, Laser
- 2 scenes: Mystery Planet & Crash
- 3d designed & print interior and figures
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Based on Round 2, 22" model kit

Music and SFX credit Gerry Anderson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0J_OlO ... wareRobots
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Spaceships: Armament and WWII B-17 Ball Turret Gunner explains his tight quarters in the belly of the Flying Fortress

B-17 Bombers and their crews played a crucial role in our victory in Europe during WWII. This is the story of William Cart, B-17 ball turret gunner.

This video is an excerpt from a larger project covering each crew member position.

Veterans' Perspective is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to record and preserve our county's history through the 1st person stories of our military veterans. Youtube makes them globally accessible. Each and every veteran has a story to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4nS2r60ZJI

1. Mobile flak defences, who would have thought?

2. It probably does get rather tight in our triple turrets.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 am

Spaceships: SHADO Interceptor: Century 21 Tech Talk [2.3] | Hosted by General Ed Straker [UFO]

Welcome to Series 2 of Century 21 Tech Talk, hosted by the former commanding officer of SHADO and head of the World Security Service – General Ed Straker!

In this briefing we’ll be learning about the SHADO Interceptor, a critically important craft in the fight against the Alien menace of the 1980s!

Starring Jon Culshaw as General Ed Straker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEEWO7X ... ryAnderson

1. Multi warhead nuclear torpedo.

2. Torpedo pylon.

3. Autocannons.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 pm

Inspiration:
Troopers (Full Web Series)

The complete (Youtube) adventures of Rich, Larry, Dreadlord Sinister, the Princess, and all the inhabitants of the Dread Cruiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvoJXBq ... llegeHumor
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:10 pm

Starwarships: Imperial Magister-Class Fleet Carrier, Grand Tour!

Finally complete! This 3600-frame long fly around of the Magister has been my white whale for a while now - I have run into so many rendering issues and so many VRay/RTX bugs in trying to get it finished. I'm delighted to share it with you, and I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUmdhv ... =HowardDay
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:17 pm

Spaceships: Engineering and Are the Expanse Ships Realistic? - Science of the Expanse

Science fiction is often a window into the science of tomorrow, so what do shows like Star Trek and the Expanse predict the space ships of tomorrow will look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA0fKJy ... RyanRidden

1. Okay, that about the roll cage acceleration chairs I didn't know about.

2. It's never been clarified for me if you can keep the manoeuvre drive running while in transition, and if that had any effect, either internally or externally.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Starwarships: Moff Gideon's Class 546 Cruiser COMPLETE BREAKDOWN | Imperial Remnant Arquitens Cruiser

In the Mandalorian we saw what appears to be a new Arquiten-class cruiser variant. This is officially called the Class 546 Cruiser, and is based off of the Arquitens-class light cruiser used by the Republic and Arquitens-class Command Cruiser used by the Empire. See a complete breakdown of this Star Wars capital ship, it's history and behind the scenes facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGul4_4 ... aNerdzLore

1. Imperial youth employment programme.

2. Seems excessively open to external vacuum.