Spaceships: Accommodations and Lockdown Productivity: Spaceship You

Comments

SackixFilms
1 month ago
You’re probably watching this from your default station: couch

Jokes on you Grey, I’m watching this from the maintenance station: toilet

Center 4 Nerds
1 month ago
I'm working from home and still watching YouTube videos on my bathroom breaks...

Kitty Cat
1 month ago
I'm watching from my sleep/eat/work/live station: bed

ChannelAtlantic
1 month ago
i'm watching this from the empty area: floor
i am what we call a "floor ganger"

Omega Solitary
1 month ago
Watching it from wrong station : Bed. Which became a mix between the all station and the feel safe station. The main system is shutting down, I'll try to reboot.

Nowu of the North
1 month ago
I'm watching this for my creation (read: procrastination) station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snAhsXyO3Ck

1. Where's the fridge and the throne room?

2. Even if you have all the time in the universe, you're never going to get around to read, listen and watch all the media that's available to you.

Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Re: Ship Design Philosophy

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Spaceships: Armaments and Swedish Navy Submarines Have A Unique Secret Weapon

H I Sutton

Thanks to trials with the U.S. Navy, Sweden’s submarines are famous for being stealthy. This is largely due to their Air-Independent Power (AIP), which allows them to stay submerged for much longer. It is not unique, however, as other countries now operate AIP submarines.

But Swedish Navy submarines have another capability that is unique. As well as regular torpedoes, they carry special lightweight ones. And this is where it gets secretive: they can launch two at the same time from a single tube.

The Gotland Class submarine has two torpedo tubes dedicated to lightweight torpedoes. Each tube can ... [+] H I SUTTON (INSERT SWEDISH ARMED FORCES)
That Swedish submarines use lightweight torpedoes is well documented. The double-tap capability is not. It is known about in some corners of the defense community, but like many topics in underwater warfare it is talked about in hushed tones. Slowly word of this capability has crept out, particularly in Sweden, but it is still virtually unknown. And some details of the capability are still secret.

The weapons used are smaller than regular torpedoes but larger than most other ‘lightweight’ ones. They are optimized to kill enemy submarines, although the latest models can also be used against small warships and even enemy torpedoes.

Unusually they are wire-guided, a feature which is normally only found on larger torpedoes. This allows the submarine to guide them all the way to the target. If the wire breaks, or is cut, then the torpedo goes into fire-and-forget mode using its own sonar. Wire-guidance has been found to be more reliable than fire-and-forget weapons in the confined and crowded Baltic. The torpedoes can be guided around an island to hit a target on the other side.

Two of these smaller torpedoes can be loaded into a single torpedo tube, one behind the other. One or both can then be launched. So the effective number of torpedo tubes is doubled. In practice Swedish submarines are equipped with a mix of 21” (533mm) torpedo tubes for ‘full size’ heavyweight torpedoes and 15.75” (400mm) tubes for the special lightweight torpedoes.

This mixed load-out allows the current Gotland Class submarines to shoot up to 8 torpedoes at once despite only having 6 torpedo tubes. Four would be heavyweight torpedoes, each in its own tube, and four would be lightweight ones in double-loaded tubes. The earlier Näcken Class, which had 8 torpedo tubes, could launch 10 torpedoes at a time (6 heavyweight, 4 lightweight).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutton/2 ... et-weapon/

Double tap is certainly viable for sandcasting; missiles and torpedoes, you'd have to assume a cold launch.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Inspiration: Crusader Sirius Star Noodler - Concept in 2 min 1 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te8Rl0VPWb8

You'd think they'd get cold before they could be delivered.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Inspiration: Necromunda: Underhive Wars - Teaser Trailer

Necromunda: Underhive Wars is the first video game adaptation of the Games Workshop tabletop game, with a unique setting and perspective on the Warhammer 40,000 universe, which saw a new version launch to critical success late 2017. Created by Rogue Factor, developers of Mordheim: City of the Damned, Necromunda: Underhive Wars blends fast-paced tactical combat with RPG elements and deep unit customization, coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Step into the twisted tunnels and rusted corridors of the Underhive in a new teaser trailer, seeing life from the view of a hardened Escher gang member.

The turn-based tactical gameplay pits you against rival gangs in brutal gunfights, taking place in huge, vertical environments. Necromunda is a planet covered in poisonous ash wastes, forcing its population to live in Hive Cities, massive man-made structures built up over thousands of years to serve just one purpose: provide to the Imperium. In Hive Primus, the rich and noble live above the clouds in the Spire while the poorest and worst-off live in a massive and forgotten subterranean metropolis, the Underhive, where criminals fight in a perpetual gang war for control.

Command one of Necromunda’s iconic gangs, embracing anarchy, violence and death in an endless war for control to dominate this hellish place. Pick between the Eschers, an all-female gang who have made their name through selling drugs and chemicals throughout the Underhive, or the Goliaths, hulking warriors worshipping physicality and using strength-enhancing drugs to dominate in battle. Other gangs will be unveiled in the coming months.

Compose your gang carefully, based on the style of warfare you want to wage. Every fighter is highly customisable in loadout and appearance, and has access to a career which unlocks further skills, traits, weapons, and visual elements. Battle in the vertical environments of the Underhive, use raised walkways to push a high ground advantage, set traps for unwitting victims, and ambush your foes to force them into bloody melee engagements. With each battle won, your gang members grow in power, earning more powerful skills and loot, but beware! Even victories will result in casualties - deaths and injuries are permanent, and you’ll need to live with the consequences of every battle.

For an even deeper challenge, Conquest Mode offers an endless campaign featuring 4X mechanics between the turn-based battles. Fight over key territory to take complete control and prove your gang is the most fearsome on Necromunda! Then bring your unique gangs online, challenging other players in competitive multiplayer, and claim the Underhive for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC4xrgh ... kS&index=2

The default for Traveller has always seemed Dumarest; certainly the line sketches from early editions gave that impression.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:55 pm

Inspiration: Amazing Camera Views From Inside SpaceX Rocket Fairings

On Tuesday a great video was posted from the fairing of a SpaceX rocket carrying a payload of Starlink Satellites. It was one of the best looks at the interior of the fairings which are practically independent spacecraft able to control their entry & descent to steer their way to a rendezvous with the recovery vessels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8Ay3QmF6s

1. Orbital minefield laying.

2. Breakaway hull(s).
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Inspiration: Star Wars: Squadrons – Official Reveal Trailer

Buckle up, take full control of starfighters such as the X-wing and TIE fighter, and feel the adrenaline of strategic first-person 5v5 multiplayer dogfights alongside your squadron.

In a fateful campaign set near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War, learn what it means to be a pilot in a thrilling STAR WARS™ single-player story. The New Republic fights for freedom. The Empire demands order. We need you to join the galaxy’s finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eRkhR1z6A

On the bright side, Traveller fighters fly faster and react quicker.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Inspiration: Pelican - Most Detailed Breakdown

In this episode: We give the D77-TC Pelican the Most Detailed Treatment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwrAroz00Y

Hard to believe you could fit a tank in there.

Docking clamp.

Nuclear fusion drive accelerator: https://youtu.be/9dwrAroz00Y?t=1261
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Spaceships: Engineering and What is a Stirling Engine?

A Closed-loop, External Combustion, Thermal Exchange Engine.
Perfect for submarines because it doesn't require air or exhuast to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rof9ZK3cXkQ

Looks ideal for a spaceship.

Can you freeze hydrogen? The temperature differential could be quite substantial.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Inspiration: Blue Sun | Firefly

The most insidious power in the Verse lies hidden in plain sight. On the shelves of every store, branded on every spaceship, and behind every secret.

The Templin Institute. Investigating alternate worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JLVQ6j2S4

Subsidiary.
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am

Condottiere wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 pm
Spaceships: Engineering and What is a Stirling Engine?

A Closed-loop, External Combustion, Thermal Exchange Engine.
Perfect for submarines because it doesn't require air or exhuast to run.

[...]

Looks ideal for a spaceship.

Can you freeze hydrogen? The temperature differential could be quite substantial.

If it's ideal for a spaceship, depends on where the two mediums (the hot one and the cold one) would be situated. Inside a spaceship it's usually relatively warm, because of the excess heat of the crew and equipment, but there is really no good "cold" medium available. Outside the spaceship lies, well, space, but this medium is so evacuated that it's more defined by the absence of a medium than being a medium capable of good heat transfer.

Of course, you could cool down hydrogen and use the temperature differential between the cold hydrogen and the rest of the ship. But that would a) cost a lot of energy - which would have to be provided by outside means (space station or downport likely) and b) you would loose most of your temperature differential when using the j-drive. That is, if a j-drive could work on very cold hydrogen, which I doubt since usual tanks seem to store it at or near room temperature.

I think, this would in total just be a very inefficent drive, which could probably only work on installations that use up the stored and cooled hydrogen only very slowly and either don't have large power needs or can devote a lot of space to hydrogen storage. An emergency power unit for a starport would be such a candidate.
liber et infractus
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:21 am

Ursus Maior wrote: That is, if a j-drive could work on very cold hydrogen, which I doubt since usual tanks seem to store it at or near room temperature.
Traveller hydrogen fuel is generally assumed to be stored as liquid hydrogen (LHyd), by necessity frozen to at least 33 K (≈ -240 °C ≈ -400 °F).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_hydrogen
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:35 pm

While I doubt it would be a viable replacement for a fusion reactor, in the outer system there might be an economic case for it.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Inspiration: Dyson Sphere: The Megaproject that Requires an Entire Solar System...

I've wanted to make a video about these things since the 90s when I first saw Star Trek TNG episode Relics. I hope this video does them justice. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erqXjBFHZE4

Or, we're pioneers.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Inspiration: MCRN Donnager: Flagship of the Martian Navy's Jupiter Fleet | The Expanse Explained

Today we break down the MCRN Donnager-class battleship, pride of the Martian Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12LtYywDgw

I'm thinking Azhanti High Lightning.

Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Spacecraft: Engineering and The Space Perspective - Spaceship Neptune

Space Perspective’s magnificent, safe suborbital flight via space balloon will smoothly fly you to the edge of space. Soak in the curvature of our beautiful planet against the blackness of space, while gently sailing along inside the revolutionary, near-zero emissions Neptune capsule above the rich colors of the Earth below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNfqF6eJws

The important question is: is the balloon helluvalot cheaper than an equivalent gravitational motor?
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Inspiration: Why The Expanse Has the Most Realistic Space Combat

When it come to space combat no one does it better and more realistically then The Expanse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcKaW8uo8JQ

1. Acceleration

2. Kinetic weapons

3. Jousting

4. Might not be a great idea to place vital areas in the centre of mass

5. Patch kits

6. Cost benefit education

7. Magnetic boots
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:22 am

Condottiere wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:25 pm
I'm thinking Azhanti High Lightning.

v2.0
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:59 pm

Inspiration: SDF-1 Macross Class Super Dimensional Fortress Breakdown

Robotech Macross/ Super Dimension Fortress Macross is an anime series many of you [under the leadership Barry Bend] have requested that we cover over the years. Well, I finally got around to watching the Macross Saga and studying the ship at the center of the show: the SDF-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxB_SCpJc4

1. Space, space, space, time, and protoculture.

2. Watch it in the original language.

3. Baptismal name combinations to be avoided: Richard Hunter.

4. Space, space, space, time, and singing.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Space, space, space, time, and vibrations.

String theory: each universe vibrates at a unique frequency.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Inspiration: Horrifying Reality Of Being An Imperial Pilot: Star Wars lore

What was it like to be a tie pilot under the empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88UDXG42gA

1. No life support

2. Two days rations

3. The problem with this supposed canonical military doctrine, is that it would be more believable if Imperial capital ships carried hundreds of TIE Fighters, where a couple of dozen would be an insignificant part of the operating cost, paling besides the time and effort to train these pilots, and then sending out replacement craft and crew to a far flung fleet.