Ship Design Philosophy

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Re: Ship Design Philosophy

Postby Condottiere » Thu May 30, 2019 8:40 am

Spaceships: Engineering and Is SpaceX's Raptor engine the king of rocket engines?

2:55 - Basic physics of rocket engines
6:10 - Rocket engine cycles
20:30 - Rocket fuel comparison
30:40 - Raptor vs other rocket engines
44:05 - Summary

Article version - https://everydayastronaut.com/?p=9823...

SpaceX's new raptor engine is a methane fueled full flow staged combustion cycle engine and its so hard to develop, no engine like this has ever flown before!

Now this topic can be really intimidating so in order to bring the Raptor engine into context, we’re going to do an overview of a few common types of rocket engine cycles then compare the Raptor to a few other common rocket engines, like SpaceX’s current work horse, the Merlin, The Space Shuttle’s RS-25, the RD-180, Blue Origin’s BE-4 and the F-1 engine.

And if that’s not enough, not only is SpaceX using a crazy engine cycle, they’re also going to be using Liquid Methane as their fuel, again something that no orbital rocket has ever used! So we’ll also go over the unique characteristics of liquid methane as a rocket fuel and see if we can figure out why SpaceX went with Methane for the Raptor engine.

We'll also break down and explain all the different engine cycle types so you know what the full flow staged combustion cycle is, how it works, and how it compares to the other cycles.

So by the end of this video hopefully we’ll have the context to know why the raptor engine is special, how it compares to other rocket engines, why it’s using methane and hopefully find out if the Raptor engine will be the new king of rocket engines…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbH1ZDImaI8
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:22 am

Spaceships: Hulls and World's Lightest Solid!

Aerogels are the world's lightest (least dense) solids. They are also excellent thermal insulators and have been used in numerous Mars missions and the Stardust comet particle-return mission. The focus of this video is silica aerogels, though graphene aerogels are now technically the lightest.

At one point Dr. Steven Jones literally held the Guinness World Record for making the lightest aerogel and therefore lightest solid. If you're interested in learning more about aerogels, let me know in the comments as there is a potential trilogy in the works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJ9q45PfD0

I thinking sandwiched between two skinny layers of titanium steel.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 am

Spaceships: Engineering and Spaceplanes

Spaceplanes long seemed like the logical next step for getting into orbit after the Space Shuttle, but have seemingly fallen to the wayside in recent years in favor of reusable rockets. But the future may see a return of spaceplanes, and we'll look at some of the more promising designs like Skylon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4BQvD_QJwM

Financing and zoning might be an issue.

Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Starships [Literally]: Engineering and Fleet of Stars

Interstellar travel is very time consuming, moving from star to star, but perhaps we could use stars themselves as spaceships, and move whole solar systems or even galaxies.

Today we'll look at how to use Shkadov Thrusters, novas, supernovae, black holes and quasars to move through space, literal starships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxwCIeWaU3M

For those who think big.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 am

Condottiere wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 pm
Today we'll look at how to use Shkadov Thrusters, novas, supernovae, black holes and quasars to move through space, literal starships.
Don't need to learn how to take off if you blow up the planet you're on.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 am

Spaceships: Design Philosophy and China's Strategy Against Trump and America: Trade War, Huawei, 5G—Gen. Robert Spalding

In the US China trade war, what’s behind the Chinese communist party’s (CCP’s) strategy, with Liu He walking away from the trade talks at the last minute? What’s the real relationship between Chinese telecom giant Huawei, and the CCP’s quest for global 5G dominance? And how is this all a much, much bigger issue than just trade?

This is American Thought Leaders and I’m Jan Jekielek.

Today we sit down with General Robert Spalding, who was a Brigadier General in the US Air Force, chief China strategist for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon, and a Senior Strategic Planner for the White House, at the National Security Council. Now, he’s a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7VIeykAxsE

1. Ignore the politics, it's an interesting take on design philosophy in general.

2. Captains may want a closed network system, especially when their spaceships are docked at any starport.

3. Most spaceships should reflect the values of their designers and/or societies.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 am

Condottiere wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 am
1. Ignore the politics, it's an interesting take on design philosophy in general.

2. Captains may want a closed network system, especially when their spaceships are docked at any starport.

3. Most spaceships should reflect the values of their designers and/or societies.
Number 3 is just Conways Law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_law

Number 3 just naturally happens without prompting. For example If our company has small independent teams, we'll naturally produce a system made of independent modules because each team will work on one. If our company is a monolith, our product will be a monolith.

I don't know what you mean by 2 because of the way it's phrased. I assuming you mean they want a system with a publically published design so they can fix it no matter where they are? When you buy a complex item like an engine that must be field-repaired, you often DO get the plans but aren't allowed to freely share them. But, those plans will tell you what you need to tell the local workshops. So it doesn't really matter unless you want to encourage open engineering to improve your design and can understand how to do this without losing control over it.

Number 1, even if Huawei were not spying - and there is no evidence that they are which has been made available to the public - it would be the victim of sanctions anyway since they're about 6 months to 1 year ahead of everyone else in 5G technology and the west is very, very upset about having lost the lead in mobile data innovation. So that was coming regardless.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 am

1. Alphabet drives had to be open source, though going by the fact that you have to pay for it, I doubt that any of the computer programmes are.

2. To be fair to the American tech corporations, they may have thought that eventually security will be simulated by software, and that hardware is both costly to develop and would lag behind.

3. No, I'm pretty much stating that spaceship Captains will want no outside connections interfacing with their ship systems.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:20 am

Condottiere wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 am
1. Alphabet drives had to be open source, though going by the fact that you have to pay for it, I doubt that any of the computer programmes are.
1) There's plenty of commercial open source software that you pay for - look at Redhat.

Note that open source means you have a license to modify and redistribute, not just "you can see the plans". Hardware people, not software, are the biggest opponents of open source.

Condottiere wrote:
2. To be fair to the American tech corporations, they may have thought that eventually security will be simulated by software, and that hardware is both costly to develop and would lag behind.
2) I can write a very long essay on this, but I won't.

No-one in big tech is really being lazy or slack about security. The amount of time and energy big tech puts into security is quite significant. Small IOT firms are terrible though.

Suffice to say that perfect security is impossible, and some hardware is old, and this is why everything's busted.

I bought some locks and they can all be picked. Am I angry with the lockmaker for doing a bad job? Of course not. Why do I expect a lock to resist when I have many hours to pick it? A computer isn't magic and doens't have special magic rules to delete hackers.

The biggest problem is user education and the commoditisation of tech. The majority of the big hacks have come from social engineering - phishing and "hey click this free game".

Experiment to demonstrate poor user education: Leave a USB lying around in an office carpark. I guarantee you some idiot will grab it and plug it into something to see what's on it. If they had a firewall to stop exterior intrusion, it just got bypassed.

Example to demonstrate commoditisation of tech: Many forums aren't https. Because it's not run by IT people. Because the tech has been commoditised to the point where non-IT can use it. And they don't update to https when literally every big tech company is saying "do it now or else".

Condottiere wrote:
3. No, I'm pretty much stating that spaceship Captains will want no outside connections interfacing with their ship systems.
3) They might want to, or have to accept data connections to their ship.

Navigation. Traffic control. Auto-landing with starport's tractor/repulsor. Formation jumping. The cargo crane at the port being able to know where you want a container put. The starport maintenance autobot that checks the things. Combat datalink (PAAMS or AEGIS).

Also internal connections which should also work during EVA therefore must radiate outside the hull and therefore vulnerable to an attacker with a computer-controlled "radio". For example the solo pilot of a type-S operating the ship from their spacephone while working on a hull repair.

Passenger wifi should be a PHYSICALLY separate network. It isn't on many current airplanes (they use a software wall). Please do not ask me why.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Moppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:20 am
1) There's plenty of commercial open source software that you pay for - look at Redhat.
Well, your paying for support there not the software itself.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Moppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:20 am
Well, your paying for support there not the software itself.
That's what they tell their customers. In reality you use your support allowance dealing with licensing issues. I'm not usually this cynical. It's just something about RedHat.

There's some free open source games that are also sold commerically on Steam or PlayStore for those that can't build the code themselves or want to support the developer. Off the top of my head I can think of Tales of Maj'Eyal (it's a roguelike) but there's others. There might be some other social benefit from Steam integration.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Moppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 pm
That's what they tell their customers. In reality you use your support allowance dealing with licensing issues. I'm not usually this cynical. It's just something about RedHat.
The end user is still getting support for paying, thus paying for support. But yeah, that isn't the whole story.
Moppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 pm
There's some free open source games that are also sold commerically on Steam or PlayStore for those that can't build the code themselves or want to support the developer. Off the top of my head I can think of Tales of Maj'Eyal (it's a roguelike) but there's others. There might be some other social benefit from Steam integration.
Yup, the XChat IRC client also did this, source code was free but you could pay for a prebuilt version for the mickysoft windoze virus (or search and find a prebuilt version you could download for free).
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Manoeuvre and library are free, the first I would have thought required customized tweaking, and the second would get regular updates.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Condottiere wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 pm
Manoeuvre and library are free, the first I would have thought required customized tweaking, and the second would get regular updates.
All right let's start this. Where is Riichaar Stalomani?

By free, do you mean "zero financial cost" or "unencumbered by restrictions preventing modification and distribution" ( i.e. open source)?
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 am

I meant free in the Traveller sense, no upfront cost, and no annual maintenance fees.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Spaceships: Hulls and The Aircraft for the Future of Aviation?

What is the future of Aviation? So many have had this question, this includes airports, airlines but most importantly aircraft! In today's video, I take a look at the Flying-V an aircraft that's more efficient than the Airbus A350!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ79JyHMo8

Integrate the engines into the airframe, and you might have stealth front and sides.

It's certainly streamlined.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 am

Space Stations: Colonizing Pluto

Pluto and it's largest moon, Charon, are so far from the Sun and so tiny that they would not seem like promising options for interplanetary colonization. However, they may turn out to be excellent prospects precisely because the double dwarf planet offers some unique options, like space elevators right from surface to surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRQFKVV68I

1. Seems a natural starport.

2. Water plus low gravity as a transportation medium.

3. One does not simply walk into Mordor.

Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:03 am

Starships: Hulls and How do Star Destroyers Get Refueled? | Star Wars Ships

Have you ever wondered how Star Destroyers get refueled? Learn all about the Altor-class resupply ship, a Star Wars ship larger than Imperial Star Destroyers, and nearly every other ship except the Executor-class Super Star Dreadnoughts. See a complete ship size comparison, and how it was used throughout the Galactic Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N9Wvn9Zj8w
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am

Spaceships: Vehicles and Why Lunar Landers Had Jumper Cables For Emergencies

The engineers who developed the Apollo program spacecraft really liked to try and think of everything, and that included emergency procedures for almost every contingency. In one scenario an astronaut would leave the Lunar Module with a set of cables designed to transfer power to a stranded lunar module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGK44fxCstU

And now you know why starships have an air/raft or all terrain vehicle in the hold.

Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am

I don't get why remembering to pack jump cables is so amazing.