Ship Design Philosophy

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Re: Ship Design Philosophy

Postby Condottiere » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 am

The new firmpoint rules threw the conventional tactics out the window.

I thought about it, and came up with a fusion of Cold War and Pacific War doctrine: use fleet defenders to snipe enemy fighters and drones at long range, and behind them well armoured medium fighters to close with the survivors.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 am

Spaceships: And The Worlds of The Expanse (no spoilers)

What is the universe of The Expanse like? What are the cultures and histories of Earth, Mars and the belt? How does gravity work in The Expanse? How does science and technology affect people and relationships? What are the roles of Holden, Miller and Avasarala in the story of The Expanse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjrI0YvZYA
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am

Starships: Why Are Alien Ships Always So Boring?

I break down some of the common flaws in alien ship design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMbr3tFLDw

Tough to properly armour.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:17 am

Starships: Haynes Owners' Workshop Manuals

Just came back from watching Venom and stumbled across a book fair.

1. Klingon Bird of-Prey IKS Rotarran

2. USS Enterprise 2151 onwards

3. Millenium Falcon Modified YT-1300 Corellian Freighter

4. Imperial Death Star DS-1 Orbital Battle Station

5. Mad spoofs Movie Classics

6. China Home Inspirational Design Ideas

for approximately twenty five pounds and ten shillings, or six Credits Imperiale.

Still shrinkwrapped.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Spaceships: Fighter Jockeying and Why Mixed Fighter Squadrons Are a Bad Idea

Spacedock lays out some thoughts on mixed fighter squadrons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7bHxwzfS0

I remember Wing Commander; what I found appealing was that the wing/squadron/group had a wide variety of fighters, bombers and fighter-bombers to choose from that was most suitable for a particular type of mission, though while it's not an issue in Traveller, most organizations, civilian or military, like their pilots to be very familiar with one type of craft at any one time, which cuts down on mistakes and training costs.

And then, at least on a carrier, and especially in the Traveller context, space is at a premium, besides wanting to simplify the logistics tail.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:03 am

Spaceships: Armaments and External Weapon System Bays

While guided munitions can self correct mid flight, or just after launch, you can shoot them in most directions.

Energy weapons and unguided munitions would have a rather limited arc when embedded in an internal bay, so you can embedded in a rather largish gun box, that's at least ten percent larger due to the rotating machinery, and not countig the extra armouring, which could be greater than that of the default hull.

This means you can fire in any direction, as long as nothing on the superstructure blocks it's line of sight.

This would require at least a thousand tonnes in addition to that used by the external bay, in order to, ah, support the external bay, but all unused tonnage can be used to embed other weapon systems, as per High Guard rules.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 am

Spaceships: 10 Myths About Space Travel

We look at 10 Myths created Hollywood films by space travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zeWYblE7eM

Long johns; Depends.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Spaceships: 10 Most Anticipated SPACE Games of 2018 & 2019

In this video, we showcase 10 Best Space Games coming in 2018 & 2019 for PC, PS4 & Xbox One

0:00 Observation
Platforms: PC, PS4
Release: Q2 2019

1:08 X4: Foundations
Platforms: PC
Release: 30 Nov, 2018

3:23 Lone Echo II
Platforms: Oculus Rift
Release: 2019

4:45 Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Platforms: PC, PS4, Switch
Release: Q1 2019

5:40 Moons Of Madness
Platforms: PC, PS4, XB1
Release: TBA

7:13 Fringe Wars
Platforms: XB1, PC

8:25 Outreach
Release: TBA 2018

10:36 Squadron 42

11:58 Dual Universe

13:32 Outer Wilds
Platform: PC, XB1
Release: 2018

14:48 Genesis Alpha One
Platforms: PC, PS4, XB1
Release: Jan 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKBbFx8jls

Well, at least the visuals are interesting.

Squadron Forty Two still Missing In Action.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Spaceships: Hull, Armour and Corrugated Configuration

... The aircraft's unusual corrugated duralumin metal skin, pioneered by Junkers during World War I, strengthened the whole structure.

Lufthansa's 21st-century airworthy heritage Ju 52/3mg2e (Wk-Nr 5489) in flight, showing the Doppelflügel, "double wing" trailing-edge control surfaces
The Ju 52 had a low cantilever wing, the midsection of which was built into the fuselage, forming its underside.[1] It was formed around four pairs of circular cross-section duralumin spars with a corrugated surface that provided torsional stiffening. A narrow control surface, with its outer section functioning as the aileron, and the inner section functioning as a flap, ran along the whole trailing edge of each wing panel, well separated from it ...

Like planetoids, I suspect laser beams and possibly energy weapons in general have a better bite on this configuration.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:54 am

Spaceships: Hull, Stealthed and Mass Effect Normandy Class Stealth Frigate - Ship Breakdown

Spacedock breaks down the iconic Normandy Class Stealth Frigate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5gOdD2s7ck

The Normandy's IES (internal emission sink) stealth system is her most notable feature. For centuries, it was assumed that starship stealth was impossible. The heat generated by routine shipboard operations is easily detectable against the near absolute zero background temperature of space. The Normandy, however, is able to temporarily "store" this heat in lithium heat sinks deep within the hull.

The IES stealth system has a few limitations: The system doesn't work during FTL flight because this blue-shifts the Normandy's emissions beyond the sinks' ability to store, and even while out of FTL, any visual scan (i.e. looking out of a window) will reveal her. However, this is rare since most ships rely on scanners rather than visual contact and spotting another ship in space is difficult. The Normandy can go to 'silent running' for around 2-3 hours, or drift passively through a system for days before having to vent and give away her position. The stored heat must eventually be radiated, or it will build up to levels capable of cooking the crew alive.

Okay, I have no idea how this is supposed to work, since I would have thought lithium would be used for the batteries. Or maybe, heat recharges batteries.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Simplified version.

It works by having a large slab of lithium that you heat up with the waste heat from your heat management system, The metal gets hotter then melts, then boils, but all the heat stays inside the ship.

Once your metal has reached boiling point you will have to break out the radiators or jettison the metal to dump the heat or you are risking a pressure explosion.

The heat sinks in Attack Vector Tactical work along these principles but use sodium IIRC.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:36 pm

If that's the case, I\d want something cheaper to jettison.

How about letting the hydrogen turn to plasma, and dumping that.

Or better still, expelling it towards some ship currently in your way. Sort of a reverse fusion rocket.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:34 am

Spaceships: Gerry Anderson’s Firestorm | Exclusive FULL Minisode

The series is set in 2102. Thanks to technological improvements climate change has been brought under control, food and energy are plentiful, and violence has all but disappeared.

But just when people are at their most contented, the problems start… Explosions, sabotage, large-scale thefts of military equipment, kidnapping… the only clue as to the perpetrators is a name – BLACK ORCHID. Earth’s environmental protectors – STORM FORCE – are quickly repurposed into a force to fight this mysterious assailant. Their new operation codename... FIRESTORM.

As clues are uncovered, Black Orchid seems to be an alien contingent. But what are they up to? As Storm Force discover more - including strange telepathic technology - the alien explanation looks increasingly likely. But when Storm Force come face to face with Black Orchid they discover their true origins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-yhwYMoRfk

I think I'm getting too old for this.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:33 am

Spaceships: 8 AMAZING ELEVATORS AND LIFTS You Wont Believe Exist

Elevate your understanding of elevators with these amazing lifts…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6hJdpubckQ

For the Nerigo, and basically other unpowered lifts, useful when the electricity fails onboard ship.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Spaceships: Hulls and How Dangerous is Deep Space Travel to Mars and Beyond ?

NASA has a mission protocol which says that if a Low Earth Orbit mission increases the lifetime risk of the crew getting cancer by more than 3% they won’t go ahead with it but the upcoming mars missions may expose the crews to levels that would be beyond that limit and other hazards, so how dangerous is deep space travel to Mars and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUwSJ5pXS0

That's why the fuel bunkerage is spread around the crew compartments; you could epoxy coat the hull.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:41 pm

What about if the hull is a soft, inflatable design? Honest question. This science is way beyond me. I just saw the concept today at Kennedy Space Center. Had no idea NASA was looking at softsided vessels, but it makes sense if they can make it work.

My contrbution for today:
The bad:Chaperoning 4th graders around Kennedy Space Center.
The Good: got to see the Falcon 9 launch from the bus while we were leaving. Good stuff.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I always thought the fuel bladder, possibly stretched over a metal skeletal framework or preshaped internal configuration, could be an interesting hull material alternative.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Spaceships: EVE Vegas 2018 - Role Specialization

The importance of focused and specialized roles in PVP, finding what you actually like to fly, and how to upset/elate your FC in EVE Online.

Player presentation by Kismeteer at EVE Vegas 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-WSCbe7JD8

An interesting view about ship role specialization.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

Spaceships: Hulls, Stealth, and Darker Than Vantablack—Absorbs 99.9923% of Light

I made something blacker than Vantablack! I show you what it looks like when you shine the world's brightest flashlight on it and also a super-bright blue laser! Then I talk about blackbody radiation and how perfect blackbodies are perfect absorbers and perfect emitters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoLEIiza9Bc

If you can't see it, you can't shoot it.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Condottiere wrote: perfect blackbodies are perfect absorbers and perfect emitters.
You can't bounce light off it, but it shines of itself (primarily IR unless very hot). No problem seeing it with an IR sensor.