Battledress coming to a warzone near you?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Battledress coming to a warzone near you?

Postby phavoc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Tech is getting closer to making battledress-like armor. While it still has a ways to go to get to where a TL-15 suit is at.. it's a lot closer to reality now. I imagine once they are able to work the kinks out of being able to store electricity within carbon nanotubes (which can also then make up actual armor), and of course come up with stronger micro-servos, we'll be closer to seeing true battledress-like suits on the battlefield.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/48199 ... s-military
coldwar
Stoat

Re: Battledress coming to a warzone near you?

Postby coldwar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Doubt that is comparable to Battledress. Sounds more like combat armour with a computer weave in my honest opinion.

Edit: Plus, seeing that is making me remember an article around 1-2 years ago. So isn'y actually new news. Is supposed to look like a storm trooper what the US are developing.
SSWarlock
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SSWarlock » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am

I'm seeing the word "goals" in the write-up. Heck, I have an article from the Fort Worth Star Telegram in the late 80s on the DOD developing powered armor. I'm not holding my breath.
Sir Dhaven Hevelin, IOD, Baronet of Fulacin
Owner/Captain - S.S. Warlock

Playing Traveller/RQ/D&D since 1977
Jacqual
Mongoose

Postby Jacqual » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Actually if it does work it is Battle Dress and not just Combat Armor as it does increase the wearers physical attributtes which Combat Armor does not do.
Jacqual Synn
Merchant Traveller
I was voted Captain of my team in Highschool, shame I was the only member.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:37 pm

CSC, pg 144:

Carapace, Mechanical (TL 9): A suit of sealed carapace plates
attached to a very simple framework of mechanical ratchets and
pneumatics, this armour is durable. Fuelled for up to 10 hours on
five litres of fuel (Cr. 2 per litre), the suit adds +1 to the wearer’s
Strength score and reduces his Dexterity by –1 while worn.

I like the way the CSC adds more granularity to equipment.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Protection without mobility is sort of pointless for modern infantry. I expect that they will have to incorporate an exo-skeleton to help the trooper carry the necessary armour to survive, or they'll be equipped with Cloaking materials that will make them invisible to most, if not all, sensors.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

There are a lot of different goals that military science might want to accomplish with powered armor. The obvious one is the armor itself; un-powered armor is a trade-off between degree of protection and weight, and powering it turns the trade-off into more a matter of protection, cost, battery life, and user issues. To clarify that last, a combat soldier just needs protection, but an urban patrol soldier also needs some ability to interact with non-hostile citizens while still being protected from hostile forces.

Once a suit is powered, it has the ability to solve another military problem, which is how much gear a soldier can carry. The exact mix of stuff an infantry soldier carries depends on the mission, but in general their load is (by weight) mostly ammunition and batteries. A soldier with power armor to help carry a lot more ammunition would be able to fire heavier weapons or fire more shots of the same sized ammunition.

Power armor would still be limited in range by batteries. Sure, it can carry more batteries, but it uses more batteries. I would expect that designs would include mission-specific trade-off choices; a soldier assigned to patrol a specific area all day then return to base for re-supply would need a different model of suit than one assigned to spend days out in the field. Current soldiers have to make the same decisions. (Do I carry a canteen or a water purification kit? Do I pack full meals or just some snacks to last me until I get back to base? Do I pack a sleeping bag? Etc.) But power armor builds more of those decisions into the suit; it's not as easy to change what goes into a pack as it is to change the size of the battery pack in a suit of power armor.

Anyway, as for Traveller, the lesson is that some power armor features will arrive well ahead of what it calls Battle Dress. As I see it, the difference between current-technology power armor and Battle Dress is that a current technology suit might be powered by a fuel cell or motorcycle engine, with an endurance of several hours, while Battle Dress runs on super-science batteries with enough endurance that the soldier doesn't need to make plans to deal with recharges. There's also the protective difference: present-day armor might withstand any kind of small arms fire, but not a support weapon like a 12.7 mm rifle, but Battle Dress can withstand just about any kind of slug-thrower short kinetic-penetration artillery.