Basic Training

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Page 8: "For your first career only, you get all the skills listed in the Service Skills table at Level 0 as your basic training. For any subsequent careers, you may pick any one skill listed in the Service Skills table at Level 0 as your basic training."

Does "any subsequent careers" also include the current career? For example, if I was a Merchant and decided to continue with Merchant for my second term, do I get to choose one skill from that Service Skills table, or do I only get to choose a skill from Service Skills when I enter a new different career?

Also, is it possible to choose the Service Skills table on which to roll (as per the 'Skills & Training' entry on page 8 ) for a skill, and choose that same skill as well?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby F33D » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Grimolde wrote:
Does "any subsequent careers" also include the current career? For example, if I was a Merchant and decided to continue with Merchant for my second term, do I get to choose one skill from that Service Skills table, or do I only get to choose a skill from Service Skills when I enter a new different career?
"subsequent careers" refers to new ones. Not one you have already entered.
Grimolde wrote:Also, is it possible to choose the Service Skills table on which to roll (as per the 'Skills & Training' entry on page 8 ) for a skill, and choose that same skill as well?
Each career has only one Service Skills section. You can choose that table to roll on during your career development.
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:43 pm

F33D wrote:Each career has only one Service Skills section. You can choose that table to roll on during your career development.
What I mean is, you get the choice to roll on that table:

Page 8: In each term you spend in a career, pick one of these tables and roll 1d6 to see which skill you increase

It also tells you to choose one skill at 0 level from that table as well

Page 8: For any subsequent careers, you may pick any one skill listed in the Service Skills table at Level 0 as your basic training.

When entering a subsequent career, can you do both, roll on that Service Skills table and choose from that same Service Skills table as well?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:45 am
Location: Central DE

Re: Basic Training

Postby CosmicGamer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Grimolde wrote:Page 8: For any subsequent careers, you may pick any one skill listed in the Service Skills table at Level 0 as your basic training.
Done once at the beginning of each subsequent career after the first.

Picked and not rolled is logical so that a skill the character doesn't already have can be gained at level 0. No reason to give basic training in skills someone already has.
Grimolde wrote:Page 8: In each term you spend in a career, pick one of these tables and roll 1d6 to see which skill you increase
This is a term skill rolled once each term.
DickTurpin
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby DickTurpin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can select your Basic Training skill (at level 0) and then pick the same table (Service Skills) to roll on for your first term; possibly getting the same skill as previously chosen?

The answer is yes. When rolling for a skill you may pick any of that career's tables for which you qualify. If you roll the same skill you chose for your Basic Training skill (no matter what table is used) you just increase the skill level by one and continue resolving that term.
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:41 pm

DickTurpin wrote:If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can select your Basic Training skill (at level 0) and then pick the same table (Service Skills) to roll on for your first term; possibly getting the same skill as previously chosen?

The answer is yes. When rolling for a skill you may pick any of that career's tables for which you qualify. If you roll the same skill you chose for your Basic Training skill (no matter what table is used) you just increase the skill level by one and continue resolving that term.
Yes, this is what I was after

Thanks all for the help
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
coldwar
Stoat
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby coldwar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:42 pm

OK.

Simply no.

Lets say you have gone in to the Navy, you get the 6 service skills at level zero as basic training. If you spend another term with the Navy you no longer get any basic training.
If however you leave the Navy, and say join a free trader crew as a term, you then get to pick one of the 6 service skills to be your basic training skill at level 0.

Hope it helps.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 am

Grimolde wrote:Page 8: "For your first career only, you get all the skills listed in the Service Skills table at Level 0 as your basic training. For any subsequent careers, you may pick any one skill listed in the Service Skills table at Level 0 as your basic training."

Does "any subsequent careers" also include the current career? For example, if I was a Merchant and decided to continue with Merchant for my second term, do I get to choose one skill from that Service Skills table, or do I only get to choose a skill from Service Skills when I enter a new different career?

Also, is it possible to choose the Service Skills table on which to roll (as per the 'Skills & Training' entry on page 8 ) for a skill, and choose that same skill as well?
When you add a skill during a second term, you can choose from any skill table as long as you meet that requirement (commissioned officer or EDU 8+ or EDU 10+ are some). You do not get more basic training though as a separate skill to gain.
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:24 pm

coldwar wrote:Simply no.
I understand the last part you wrote, but your 'Simply no' quote above, is that referring to my first question?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Page 8 (under 'Survival'): "You lose the benefit roll for the current term only"

What is a benefit roll? So far, I've only rolled for Skills and Training as mentioned in paragraph on page 8.

It also mentions it on the Event table for Merchant (page 23): You have a chance to risk your fortune on a possibility lucrative deal. You may gamble a number of Benefit rolls
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
coldwar
Stoat
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby coldwar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 pm

the second question. The others have explained the first question.

Benefit roll is made when the character musters out or retires. You always get one roll per term you served plus bonus's for rank. Though getting that result on the survival table takes one away.

For example, your character has served 12 years in the Navy (3 terms) and hasn't gained a rank, he will get 3 benefit rolls.
However, another character does the same terms, has no promotions but his last term he failed survival and rolled that result of losing his beneifit roll for that term, he then thus only gets 2 Benefit rolls.

Benefit rolls are rolled on either the cash table or the other benefits table. You can find out about Benefit rolls on pages 34, 35 and a little of 36. But mostly is explained on page 34. The other pages show what the individual other benefitsm that are shown on all the different Other Benefits found for all the Class's.
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks coldwar
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Let me as this another way, because I think I'm getting conflicting answers (probably due to my vague way of asking the question)

Looking at the example on page 39, we see Jamison has left the Merchant career, mustered out, and then tried his hand at the Entertainer career, and in particular, the 'Journalist'. The text says the following (2nd column and start of 6th paragraph):

"He picks up Deception 0 [one skill from the service skills list] as basic training and rolls Computers on the Journalist skill table."

He picked Deception from the service skills list, and rolled Computers on the Journalist skill table.

My question; could Jamison have picked Deception from the service skills list, and rolled on the same service skills list with the possibility of him rolling a 4, and thus getting him Deception again?
Last edited by Grimolde on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4226
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby AndrewW » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Grimolde wrote:My question; could Jamison have rolled on the service skills list (as well as picking from it), with the possibility of gaining +2 on the same skill? I.e. he chose Deception, then he rolled on the service skills table, got a 4, which got him Deception again?
Not exactly. Get one skill at level 0 when taking a new career if you have had a previous career, this is picked from the service skill table.

In the case of rolling it again, it wouldn't go to 2. Unless otherwise specified you gain one level in this skill, so a roll of a skill you already have at level 0 would bring this to level 1.
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Grimolde wrote:My question; could Jamison have rolled on the service skills list (as well as picking from it), with the possibility of gaining +2 on the same skill? I.e. he chose Deception, then he rolled on the service skills table, got a 4, which got him Deception again?
Not exactly. Get one skill at level 0 when taking a new career if you have had a previous career, this is picked from the service skill table.

In the case of rolling it again, it wouldn't go to 2. Unless otherwise specified you gain one level in this skill, so a roll of a skill you already have at level 0 would bring this to level 1.
I botched my question up so I've rephrased it
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Nerhesi
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby Nerhesi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Grimolde wrote: I botched my question up so I've rephrased it
Yes.

You can get all basic training skills at 0 for example.

Then choose to role on basic training, and get one of those skills again. Keep in mind, when you roll, that skill goes up by 1, so it's not like it is a waste of a roll or anything. Those rolls ALWAYS improve your skills (1 or 2 per term depending if you advance or not).
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Brilliant

Thanks all very much
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Basic Training

Postby Grimolde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Nerhesi wrote:
Grimolde wrote: I botched my question up so I've rephrased it
Yes.

You can get all basic training skills at 0 for example.
I should point out that in this example, Jamison is not picking them all as part of a basic training skills package, he's just moved into the career, and picked the one skill; 'Deception'.

I assume the end result is the same though; during a term, you can roll and pick from the same table
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
coldwar
Stoat
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Basic Training

Postby coldwar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Yep, the example is correctomundo. :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests