Plasma Barbettes on Small-craft

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Nerhesi
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Plasma Barbettes on Small-craft

Postby Nerhesi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Anyone ever explore this and whether they count as 2 weapon slots AND 2 energy weapons as per Particle Barbettes? (despite the medium range vs long range and so on)

Plasma barbettes and plasma guns (mounts) are included in the Trillion Credit Squadron adventure book 3
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Plasma Barbettes on Small-craft

Postby locarno24 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 am

I would assume so - they are an energy barbette, and heavier calibre than anything that fits in a standard turret mount.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
barnest2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby barnest2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:22 am

I approve of this. Nothing more to add really.
SSWarlock
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SSWarlock » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:56 am

locarno24 wrote:I would assume so - they are an energy barbette, and heavier calibre than anything that fits in a standard turret mount.
Agreed. When it comes to small craft-mounted barbettes, I treat plasma weaponry as having the same mount requirements as particle beams.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is small craft are limited in the number of weapon slots they can mount. For example, according to Book 2: High Guard, any small craft under 40 tons cannot mount more than one ship weapon, regardless of available tonnage. So to mount a particle beam barbette, which requires two ship weapon slots, the small craft must be at least 40 tons in displacement. When it comes to plasma guns and particle beams, the best you can mount on a small craft under 40 tons is a single weapon in a double turret (for plasma guns) or a triple turret (for particle beams).
Sir Dhaven Hevelin, IOD, Baronet of Fulacin
Owner/Captain - S.S. Warlock

Playing Traveller/RQ/D&D since 1977