Undeveloped Systems 2300AD

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Undeveloped Systems 2300AD

Postby rgrove0172 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:50 am

Only a small percentage of the systems on each arm are fleshed out, or even mentioned, in the colonial atlas (or the equivalent in the rulebooks)

Are we too assume these other stars have no planets of particular interest or are they left open for individual GM development? Would it upset the setting if the number of habitable worlds doubled? Tripled? Colonies increased by a like margin?
Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Undeveloped Systems 2300AD

Postby Somebody » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm

More useful worlds reduce the potential for conflict over the good colonial worlds. 2300AD is a "choosen world" setting where bad worlds are skipped due to a relatively fast FTL. Settlements are garden worlds, mineral rich or the occasional chokepoint/ waystation
Lemnoc
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lemnoc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:41 pm

I imagine some outpost worlds would be quickly bypassed. Barnard’s, for example, is a pain in the neck to get to with a pseudo-velocity drive; and my guess is probably really doesn’t offer much in the way of metals or minerals. I think its official, canon population is way overestimated. It’s like that gas station on the edge of town you never stop at.

Probably automated. Close enough to Sol for clandestine claim jumping and mischief-making riffraff, but too often visited by warships passing through for much to develop in the way of either.
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nathan Brazil » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:20 pm

You could look at it that these are the "garden worlds" where easy habitable worlds have been picked. The worlds described are I think the same from the old version. Genetic engineering is a bigger deal in this version of game. Perhaps there are other worlds, but they are not the easy pickings of previous colonies.
As a campaign idea: A old explored useless planet has a new survey that finds tantalum in much richer quantities will not remain unsettled for long, no matter the difficulties.
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
Lemnoc
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lemnoc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:07 am

Nathan Brazil wrote:As a campaign idea: A old explored useless planet has a new survey that finds tantalum in much richer quantities will not remain unsettled for long, no matter the difficulties.
The introduction of stutterwarp tugs also adds new dimensions. Colin has already done some development in Aquila space, but I'm intrigued by the 61 Cygni cluster, which is reachable by tug right out of the Core. Tugs provide a nice control mechanism for GMs if you assume Trilon is very aggressive in protecting their patents and procedures.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Most undeveloped systems are undeveloped for a reason. They lack either habitable worlds, or sufficient resources to justify large-scale commercial operations. You will still see some small-scale operations, and practically every system that can be reached by stutterwarp will have some trace of settlement, from abandoned mining camps to full-fledged outposts.
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rgrove0172 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks guys, gives me a format to work from.
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I would add into the mix maybe a world in one of those systems that if the world was Terra-Formed could become a world that could support some life. Maybe a world like Mars that actually has frozen water ice caps. Maybe it has a thin atmosphere, with the right elements that could make terra-forming possible and a living bio-sphere in under 200+ years of work. It would mean to begin with colonists would need to build and live in Domes. Maybe there are fosil evidence that at one time there were simple plant forms on the surface of the planet. Maybe there is evidence of the planets moon exploding and the atmosphere was damaged and life died off. With all the debris above the planet in orbit, it would have been mostly over looked as not being a place most would want to go and/or try to settle.

So maybe some "GREEN" sect of humanity want's to take up the challenge and build "Eden"!?!
37+ yrs of RPGing, War Gamer, Table Top Minatures - Resin Space Minis
AD&D, D&D v2.5, D&D v3.5 & v3.75+ Pathfinder, Traveller, 2300 AD Traveller, Hero Systems v5R, Conan, Gama World, D100 Basic Roleplaying, D20 System. Anything SciFi