Pistol Range v.s Handgun Range

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Pistol Range v.s Handgun Range

Postby rgrove0172 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm

The Mongoose Traveller 2300AD rulebook lists different ranges for several pistols - some say "handgun" while others say "pistol". Traveller core rules only include Pistols.. is this a typo or is there a supplement out there somewhere I missed?
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Pistol Range v.s Handgun Range

Postby F33D » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:51 pm

rgrove0172 wrote:The Mongoose Traveller 2300AD rulebook lists different ranges for several pistols - some say "handgun" while others say "pistol". Traveller core rules only include Pistols.. is this a typo or is there a supplement out there somewhere I missed?
From what I've been able to figure out it is just sloppy writing. But I don't have every supp.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 pm

It is the same range.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rgrove0172 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 am

Thanks guys, I thought so.

While Im at it... Im fairly new to the system and find it odd that all rifles have the same range, from assault rifles to battle rifles to sniper rifles. Anyone modify their sniper rifles and such to give a boost at longer ranges or just the opposite curb their performance a bit for shorter barrels, lower velocity rounds or what have you that dont quite classify them out of the rifle category?
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:13 pm

rgrove0172 wrote:Anyone modify their sniper rifles...
Not me. Our Traveller games tend to have limited and fast combat. For me, too many rules and table lookups would detract from the game. It's about the role playing. The generalization of rules and the randomness of the dice is such that I'm used to, accept, and perhaps expect and demand a broad coverage of a range of role playing possibilities which don't all have to be explicitly covered. I have other outlets when I need a detailed strategy combat game fix.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm

i think it would be reasonable to give a + DM to a Sniper Rifle at longer ranges. Depending on the sights being used, you could get several good DMs.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby F33D » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:i think it would be reasonable to give a + DM to a Sniper Rifle at longer ranges. Depending on the sights being used, you could get several good DMs.
I have Sniper as a sub skill. If the player has the skill he can take advantage of specialized equip for very long range shots.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Some things were not caught in editing... Yes, handgun/pistol are the same. Rifles are a generic range category in Traveller, and cover heavier hunting rifles and battle rifles, in general. Rifles in 2300 are high-powered designs, equivalent to the ACR of classic Traveller.
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nathan Brazil » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:01 am

There is also the "Extreme" range category which is where some weapons might have sufficient range to go beyond Distant (1500 meters). There is also the Aiming actions to get up to +6 DM to counter range penalties. Both are in the Mercenary book.
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rgrove0172 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks Colin, glad to have that cleared up.

Yes, I also see there are some scopes and such that modifiy weapon performance.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:14 am

The average "civilian" rifle in 2300AD fires a caseless discarding-sabot round. The FC-70 uses a 7x40mm round, with the bullet fully encased in the block of propellant. These "rounds" are not round, they are square in cross-section.
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Colin wrote:The average "civilian" rifle in 2300AD fires a caseless discarding-sabot round. The FC-70 uses a 7x40mm round, with the bullet fully encased in the block of propellant. These "rounds" are not round, they are square in cross-section.
The bullet is square section? Or the propellant block and thus barrel are square section?
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Wed May 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Mithras wrote:
Colin wrote:The average "civilian" rifle in 2300AD fires a caseless discarding-sabot round. The FC-70 uses a 7x40mm round, with the bullet fully encased in the block of propellant. These "rounds" are not round, they are square in cross-section.
The bullet is square section? Or the propellant block and thus barrel are square section?
I'm sure he is talking something similar to this:

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/61069.jpg

The barrel is normal, though there are issues with the breech overheating though currently.
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Wed May 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Yes, that's the 4.73x33mm ammo for the Heckler & Koch G11 prototype assault rifle. Partly due to that overheating problem and partly due to reunification, Germany never adopted the G11, instead going later for the more conventional G36.

The Daisy airgun company also produced a type of caseless ammo - take a look at this. Instead of compressed air propelling the projectile directly, it heated up enough to ignite a block of propellant. Not surprisingly, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms ruled that this made the weapon a firearm, which Daisy weren't supposed to produce. :)
Smiert Spam
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 am

Yes, round bullet, but the cartridge has a square cross-section. It's a stable compound, electrically-ignited, with a structural strength about equal to a solid chunk of ABS plastic the same size.