The Voyage of Death as Theme

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

The Voyage of Death as Theme

Postby alex_greene » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 pm

I drew up an article for my blog To Scape The Serpent's Tongue, called Stargate Universe and the theme of the Voyage of Death. In that article, I came up with the theory that, alongside such series as Space: 1999, Stargate Universe was a story whose theme was the Voyage of Death. You can read the article on the blog.

However, after I posted it I was reminded of a post here some time ago, about a ship which had catastrophically Misjumped, and how in the end the characters just resigned themselves to their doom and said their goodbyes to one another before freezing to death.

With no desire to play thread necromancer, does anybody else here remember that thread?
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
DickTurpin
Banded Mongoose

Re: The Voyage of Death as Theme

Postby DickTurpin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm

I remember the thread but not what it was called, if you are looking for a link or name to search with. I specifically remember that the GM gave them an encounter with a deep space comet that probably would have allowed them to refuel and jump to safety but the players "didn't want to waste their remaining fuel" docking with it.
Burocrate
Stoat

Re: The Voyage of Death as Theme

Postby Burocrate » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 pm

There is an adventure in the Archives over on the TAS website that fits this description. I think it was titled: "Darkest before the Dawn" or some other very subtle :P reference to keeping the faith during a hopeless event.
Travellers: they'll break you ship and then ruin your best laid plans.