3%
They are OK, but so far no theme or background that I like or want
9%

Total votes: 80
Dave Chase
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Mongoose Series Adventures for Traveller

Postby Dave Chase » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 am

Mongoose has released 2 different series adventures for Traveller so far.

I was wondering what the general feel was from the group at large here

If you vote, please include more information as to why to your selections.

What kind of style/adventure would you like to see more of, if more are presented.

Etc.

Thanks in advance

Dave Chase
Freedom is the ability to express your self under your own control
It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Mongoose Series Adventures for Traveller

Postby dragoner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 am

You realize you can vote for every option in this poll?

Personally, I bought TCS, esp when I heard it had big deck plans; which is trav for dungeon crawl turf.

I have SotA dowloaded, and will DL the Pirates of Drinax basically, and really DO appreciate everyone's hard work on everything; but what I am really waiting on is the Droyne. What I think would be nice is if someone made up a bunch of different minor races, I would buy that right away.
Dave Chase
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dave Chase » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 am

dragoner wrote:You realize you can vote for every option in this poll?
yup, Just wanting to see if people actually pay attention.
Personally, I bought TCS, esp when I heard it had big deck plans; which is trav for dungeon crawl turf.

I have SotA dowloaded, and will DL the Pirates of Drinax basically, and really DO appreciate everyone's hard work on everything; but what I am really waiting on is the Droyne. What I think would be nice is if someone made up a bunch of different minor races, I would buy that right away.
I droyne adventure series, is that what you mean?
Or are you off topic wanting a Droyne book? ;)

Dave Chase
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 am

One of the off topicersons I guess. But a set of adventures like the old Alien Realms module would be cool.

8)
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 am

Note that the CT Alien Realms book was at the tail end of the race books, while Mongoose still has a couple to go.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 am

GypsyComet wrote:Note that the CT Alien Realms book was at the tail end of the race books, while Mongoose still has a couple to go.
Alien Modules. In business you avoid the term race whenever possible.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:39 am

Whatever.

The point stands if you are looking at a book analogous to Alien Realms.

That isn't to say it couldn't work sooner, but an adventure book about a subset of the known aliens should be thematic. Putting the Aslan, Vargr, Zhodani, Sword Worlders, and Darrians together would work, but you should save the Luriani and Solomani (not to mention the Dolphins and Apes as covered in the Solomani book) for their own regional groups, and I would probably pull the Aslan out of the Marches group and add them to the Solomani mix along with Vegans and Hivers. Do an Imperial Core group with the Vilani, Geonee, Newts, Answerin, Suerrat, and Virushi, and a trailing group with the Luriani, K'kree (and clients), Ursa, and Sydites.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
Dave Chase
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dave Chase » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:50 am

Pardon me, but please keep on topic.

Dave Chase
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 am

Pirates of Drinax and Secrets of the Ancients are both superb.

I would love to see more - I can imagine it'd be a very good way to do 5th Frontier War - chart the careers of a crew through the war (possibly including one or more ship transfers and eventual squadron command).

I also think they're good traveller adventures generally. In a multi-adventure game you can afford to throw in things outside 'the norm', like the A Thousand Years And More episode of SOTA, or the Hostile/Friendly/Haven progression in Drinax. Plus they feel a little more modern than a lot of classic adventures, retaining a traveller feel without being too "The Seventies In Space...."

The one thing I'm less of a fan of is the gap in time. I have massive respect for Mongoose for handing these out free, but I'm with the people who stated in the Drinax thread that I'd rather pay a nominal amount - even in advance - and get the whole thing in a quicker timeframe. I know Mongoose has a lot on its plate, but (for example) this is the sort of thing that Kickstarter seems designed for; you know how many paid hours work you've got to throw at this and it's funded in advance
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 am

I dont like linear adventures that you have to read out from a book.

I prefer the simpler CT adventures myself. I like adventures that just set up an exciting scenario, provides the specific rules and then lets loose the adventures on it to see what progresses.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Dave Chase wrote:What kind of style/adventure would you like to see more of, if more are presented.

Etc.
GypsyComet wrote:That isn't to say it couldn't work sooner, but an adventure book about a subset of the known aliens should be thematic. Putting the Aslan, Vargr, Zhodani, Sword Worlders, and Darrians together would work, but you should save the Luriani and Solomani (not to mention the Dolphins and Apes as covered in the Solomani book) for their own regional groups, and I would probably pull the Aslan out of the Marches group and add them to the Solomani mix along with Vegans and Hivers. Do an Imperial Core group with the Vilani, Geonee, Newts, Answerin, Suerrat, and Virushi, and a trailing group with the Luriani, K'kree (and clients), Ursa, and Sydites.
Dave Chase wrote:Pardon me, but please keep on topic.
You asked and I think there is an answer in there. "an adventure book about a subset of the known aliens" I think GCs asking for a group of adventures for a region of space and each adventure of the group is centered on the different races instead of humans.

Perhaps he/she is requesting adventures that are more than adventures. I know in the past additional details for equipment, systems, ships, library data and so on were provided. Why not include with an adventure additional information on the races of the area, major, minor, and even new?
Dave Chase
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dave Chase » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 pm

CosmicGamer wrote: You asked and I think there is an answer in there. "an adventure book about a subset of the known aliens" I think GCs asking for a group of adventures for a region of space and each adventure of the group is centered on the different races instead of humans.

Perhaps he/she is requesting adventures that are more than adventures. I know in the past additional details for equipment, systems, ships, library data and so on were provided. Why not include with an adventure additional information on the races of the area, major, minor, and even new?
Ah, well then if that is the focus, please carry on with the ideas.

It just seemed to me that talking about aliens was the focus. Now if you are talking about adventures that showcase certain aliens, that sounds just fine to me (and my proposed topic.) :)

Dave Chase
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

I liked their freeness but shorter between episodes would be better (though writers only write so fast).

Personally I'd like more items like QLI's Linkworlds campaign and MGT's own Aramis Adventure for themes though.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 am

locarno24 wrote:The one thing I'm less of a fan of is the gap in time. I have massive respect for Mongoose for handing these out free, but I'm with the people who stated in the Drinax thread that I'd rather pay a nominal amount - even in advance - and get the whole thing in a quicker timeframe. I know Mongoose has a lot on its plate, but (for example) this is the sort of thing that Kickstarter seems designed for; you know how many paid hours work you've got to throw at this and it's funded in advance
This.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
barnest2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby barnest2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 am

Are we talking the free campaigns, or the Adventure books. Because if its the second, I think Trillion Credit Squadron is rather good :wink:
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 pm

I can ad lib smallish adventures. From what I've seen so far I will always buy the hard copy of the freebie adventures because they provide game play that:-

1) I would find difficult to ad lib.
2) provide a sense of variety in the games that I run.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Also, I would like some adventures for 2300 AD. Not enough material is being produced.
IanBruntlett wrote:I can ad lib smallish adventures. From what I've seen so far I will always buy the hard copy of the freebie adventures because they provide game play that:-

1) I would find difficult to ad lib.
2) provide a sense of variety in the games that I run.
This is why I print out adventures I plan to run.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!