Anyone Play Mongoose Traveller on Hangout+?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Anyone Play Mongoose Traveller on Hangout+?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

I just did my first GMing of Mongoose Traveller for four players via Hangout+. The session was three hours (maybe a little more, I don't remember when we started once their characters were made). I'm hooked on this Hangout+ now. I've only GMed Mongoose Traveller in game stores in the past.

Anyone else been using Hangout+ for their MgT games?
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Anyone Play Mongoose Traveller on Hangout+?

Postby CosmicGamer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 pm

When I first got back into Tabletop RPG/Traveller it was because of the variety of tools out there. I figured it would make it easy to find players and play games without having to be in person.

The main problem I had was much of the software does not adequately support finding players or if it did, there were not many Travellers who were using it. Part of the problem is that there is so many different tools available. Even if a group of people found each other on a forum, like here, they all had different software they wanted to use or try. I grew tired of spending more time creating accounts, installing, configuring, tweaking and testing numerous tools than actually playing. All the games that finally did get going ending up dying out pretty quickly for a variety of reasons, many similar to the scheduling and other issues that befall in person games.

I had one success with real time online gaming. A text chat, not voice, game that lasted a year or so. Even that game went through more than one chat software program at the beginning.

So no, I have not used Hangout+ for anything at all but I'd like to hear more detail about how it worked for your gaming.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm

I've been in one RPG game using IRC for years, the software doesn't have to change, though MapTools was added but only used when needed (pretty much just for combat). I've also recently setup a wiki for the game, but that wasn't in any way required and doesn't require the players to have anything special (for that matter neither does the IRC, half the players are using a web based IRC client).
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 am

CosmicGamer wrote:So no, I have not used Hangout+ for anything at all but I'd like to hear more detail about how it worked for your gaming.
I have a Google+ page, so the Hangout+ kicked in after I posted a few videos on YouTube. Hangout+ might be more available now to anyone that creates a Google+ page and has a webcam/MIC setup handy.

Last night (early morning), I GMed a 4-hour Traveller session for four players. None had played the game before, but they were all professional RPGers already. So they just needed a quick run-through of how the dice mechanic worked for Mongoose Traveller. In no time they were role-playing their characters and finding things to do and get in trouble with.

It was funny when I said, "You guys need 2D6 for this game." I could see them all putting away their piles of various dice they had. They loved the die mechanic because it was quick and didn't halt the action. They also liked the aging part during character creation.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:It was funny when I said, "You guys need 2D6 for this game." I could see them all putting away their piles of various dice they had. They loved the die mechanic because it was quick and didn't halt the action. They also liked the aging part during character creation.
Physical dice? No need for that here, I run a dicebot on the IRC server.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 am

AndrewW wrote:
ShawnDriscoll wrote:It was funny when I said, "You guys need 2D6 for this game." I could see them all putting away their piles of various dice they had. They loved the die mechanic because it was quick and didn't halt the action. They also liked the aging part during character creation.
I haven't used IRC in over 20 years. We all rolled dice and wrote down numbers on our printed character sheets. Then we role-played in front of our cameras and didn't touch our keyboards or mice or computers. We just used our dice and pencils. Just like as if we were gaming at a table together.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
AndrewW wrote:
I haven't used IRC in over 20 years. We all rolled dice and wrote down numbers on our printed character sheets. Then we role-played in front of our cameras and didn't touch our keyboards or mice or computers. We just used our dice and pencils. Just like as if we were gaming at a table together.
Got the computer right in front of you and not even making use of it. Seems a waste.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 pm

AndrewW wrote:Got the computer right in front of you and not even making use of it. Seems a waste.
So your answer is "No" on using Hangout+ for playing Mongoose Traveller.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
AndrewW wrote:Got the computer right in front of you and not even making use of it. Seems a waste.
For myself wouldn't be interested in doing it that way. Though of course there are probably some that would.
Zens
Cub

Postby Zens » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:09 pm

AndrewW wrote:
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
For myself wouldn't be interested in doing it that way. Though of course there are probably some that would.
Seems a pretty interesting use to me - helping to connect separate people so they can play a tabletop RPG while feeling as if they're at the same table.

I know a meetup group that plays lots of DnD, Pathfinder and Rogue Trader, none of which I'm interested in anymore. I've not had luck finding a local Traveller group, but I've been itching to give it a try. If I didn't expect the time difference would be a problem (I live in the UK), I'd ask if you had any openings, Shawn! :D
frostvarg
Cub

Postby frostvarg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:42 pm

yea, hangout+ and using roll20 as a virtual tabletop for maps.
mechascorpio
Stoat

Postby mechascorpio » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:56 am

These integrated and shared Hangout dice-rolling plugins might be worth checking out:

http://hangoutapps.com/+/?gid=786956442 ... angout-App

http://jonswope.com/2012/05/29/fair-dic ... -hangouts/
--
Robert -- Cleveland, OH
frostvarg
Cub

Postby frostvarg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:45 pm

roll20 is integrated in hangout and has a diceroller among many things.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm

frostvarg wrote:roll20 is integrated in hangout and has a diceroller among many things.
I won't add any video gamey stuff to Hangout+. We're not trying to play an MMO. We are all sitting at tables with dice, pencil, and paper.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, just for everyone who might be interested, there is a Traveller circle/group on Google+ run by Andrew (not that 'andreww') with like a hair under 200 members, a few online games being run (one with a good site on Obsidian Portal). It's a fun group.

The link is:
https://plus.google.com/communities/103 ... 1568568045
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
ericphillips
Stoat

Postby ericphillips » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:26 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
frostvarg wrote:roll20 is integrated in hangout and has a diceroller among many things.
I won't add any video gamey stuff to Hangout+. We're not trying to play an MMO. We are all sitting at tables with dice, pencil, and paper.
Its not video gamey at all. Its like having a game table in front of you. You can put a map down, or write on a whiteboard, roll dice. I recommend it (and it is free to use). If you think Roll20 is gamey then you should not use dice or pencils or paper lol.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am

ericphillips wrote:Its not video gamey at all. Its like having a game table in front of you. You can put a map down, or write on a whiteboard, roll dice. I recommend it (and it is free to use). If you think Roll20 is gamey then you should not use dice or pencils or paper lol.
Our players are not touching their computers/phones while playing on Google+ Hangout. The only thing they have is their earphones and maybe a MIC on their face. They're sitting at their tables just like they would be at a game table together. Any more involved than that results in a bunch of end-users rather than role-players.
ericphillips
Stoat

Postby ericphillips » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Our players are not touching their computers/phones while playing on Google+ Hangout. The only thing they have is their earphones and maybe a MIC on their face. They're sitting at their tables just like they would be at a game table together. Any more involved than that results in a bunch of end-users rather than role-players.
Well, I don't share your experience. But to each his own. However it is still nothing like an MMO.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:38 am

ericphillips wrote:Well, I don't share your experience. But to each his own. However it is still nothing like an MMO.
Multi-player ZORK is all.
ericphillips
Stoat

Postby ericphillips » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:56 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
ericphillips wrote:Well, I don't share your experience. But to each his own. However it is still nothing like an MMO.
Multi-player ZORK is all.
Ooooh. I am going to introduce Grues to my game no that you mentioned that.