Human Tolerance for Gs

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Human Tolerance for Gs

Postby zero » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Ok, so I came up with that a ship could get to Mars on 2G in a month by accelerating for roughly 24.5 minutes for the accel and again to deccel at the end of the trip.

That means of course that a ship could also do it in 4G for 12 minutes and 15 seconds, though as discussed that strikes me as being a bit unhealthy for the crew involved, so I'm keeping the ship as having 4G hours of reaction fuel (2G hours to get there, 2 again to return).

Also have to factor in two months of Fission Fuel for the Power Plant, which all depends on the ship's size now.

I should have a statblock done and up in no time. I'm going for a small craft first, similar to the antique shuttle, though raised to TL 8 with the above things factored in.
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 pm

GURPS Transhuman Space does a good job of explaining the different space drive technologies, with Orbital's nuclear thermal drives relegated to antiques and the common standard in THS being the fusion drive. Heinlein, and the Atomic Rocket website postulates the 'fusion torch' drive which has the fuel to produce continual thrust for acceleration and deceleration for the entire journey. Going with Traveller's reaction drive rules this would be 1-6G. But drives like that are not achievable by 2050.

Orbital tries to recreate the more realistic nuclear thermal rockets prototyped by NASA in the 1960s, they work, and scaled up, could do great things.... Lots of coasting, but travel times in weeks or a couple of months, not a year.....

There are no specific G ratings or thrust durations in Orbital though..... So many variables .....:)
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 am

Well, I'm working with making a ship (or two) with reaction manouvre drives and using fission power plants (no fusion for this game, thanks...) and I'm looking at a timeline of the 2070s, where there is work being done on colonies in the Outer system, but for now I've come up with a workable ship that is built to go from Earth to Mars (so also technically Venus too).

My first ship is a rather basic shuttle, built up for a possible Trav game to be made with it, but also with the concept that it is a 'Branson rocket' in that the shuttle has been built by a Mega Corp for a prospective journey, not really a vessel for combat or trade. Exploration and future possibilities are the key here.

In my ATU, the credit is used (for simplicity) and handwaved as a way of Earth currency becoming unified under one banner.

Anyways, I'm just doing the finishing touches to this shuttle and I am thinking of looking into Orbital, as it might be a great way of expanding on my initial idea ^^
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:34 am

Mithras wrote:GURPS Transhuman Space does a good job of explaining the different space drive technologies, with Orbital's nuclear thermal drives relegated to antiques and the common standard in THS being the fusion drive. Heinlein, and the Atomic Rocket website postulates the 'fusion torch' drive which has the fuel to produce continual thrust for acceleration and deceleration for the entire journey. Going with Traveller's reaction drive rules this would be 1-6G. But drives like that are not achievable by 2050.
How about the VASIMR ion engine I mentioned earlier?