How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Hopeless » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Faelan Niall wrote:Time to watch Season 1 of Space: 1999 again. Some of the best TV programming ever. The sets and stories were movie quality, and then they brought in an idiot to do Season 2. If only there were a Space: 1999 Reboot.
Felt this deserved a thread of its own.
I have heard of a youtube attempt that shows parts of this series under the heading of Space2099 and wondered how it could be brought to the rpg table under the Traveller system.

Would Traveller 2300 make a better base for this or straight Traveller core rules?

And the most important question of all... has anyone created an Eagle transporter under Traveller rules?
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Just treat it as '70s sci-fi tech using the core rulebook. I'd recommend using Orbital if you want more detail for a moonbase.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Infojunky » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Hopeless wrote: And the most important question of all... has anyone created an Eagle transporter under Traveller rules?
Yes, it's called the 50ton Modular Cutter.... :twisted:
Evyn
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby alex_greene » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Infojunky wrote:
Hopeless wrote: And the most important question of all... has anyone created an Eagle transporter under Traveller rules?
Yes, it's called the 50ton Modular Cutter.... :twisted:
The mass of the Eagle, combined with a passenger pod, is listed as around 328 tons - so it's more like a modular sublight small craft, capable of 15% of lightspeed.

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main ... eagle.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Transporter
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
crazy_cat
Mongoose
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:06 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby crazy_cat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:08 pm

alex_greene wrote:The mass of the Eagle, combined with a passenger pod, is listed as around 328 tons - so it's more like a modular sublight small craft, capable of 15% of lightspeed.
That is mass. The 50 'ton' Modular Cutter is 50 DTons volume.

Given the length estimate of 31'ish metres for an Eagle (21 x 1.5M squares approximately on a standard Traveller deckplan) a volume of 50 DTons for an Eagle actually sounds quite reasonable - approx 21 squares long and 4 - 5'ish wide, with a height of maybe 4 - 5 Metres including landing gear, engines, and framework round the cargo module.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Lemnoc
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Lemnoc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Second the idea that Orbital features almost everything needed for this simulation. The big problem is figuring out how, exactly, the Moon moves through space. It clearly is moving faster than light sometimes, at other times it is able to enter an orbit and allow Eagles to visit other worlds and return from them. Wormholes probably account best for this mechanic, but then they are fairly deus ex machina and not under the control of players, suggesting a fairly railroady campaign.
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby alex_greene » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Also, Dr Helena Russell is the worst medic in science fiction history. 99% of the people she diagnosed as insane (such as Tony Cellini and John Koenig) turned out to be sane, after all; a good chunk of people in sickbay end up dead; and in one episode, she took part in a rescue mission to a planet, and when she got there she did no actual medicine whatsoever.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Lemnoc
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Lemnoc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 pm

alex_greene wrote:Also, Dr Helena Russell is the worst medic in science fiction history. 99% of the people she diagnosed as insane (such as Tony Cellini and John Koenig) turned out to be sane, after all; a good chunk of people in sickbay end up dead; and in one episode, she took part in a rescue mission to a planet, and when she got there she did no actual medicine whatsoever.
You gotta admit, though, the girl with the two brains was a bit of a medical conundrum. :wink: :lol:
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby alex_greene » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm thinking she qualified as a Doctor on Moonbase Alpha, because never has the question "Where the hell did you obtain your medical license, Doctor? On the Moon?" been so apposite ...
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Lemnoc
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Lemnoc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 pm

To be fair, though, nobody on Moonbase Alpha was a standout in their profession. The Eagle pilots crashed about as often as they flew. Cmdr Koenig was one of the most non-commital and vacillating, humble leaders ever depicted on television. Victor Bergman’s common answer to most science mysteries was, “I don’t know” (LOVED that about him).
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby alex_greene » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Not to mention Tony Verdeschi's nearly-lethal beer brewing efforts.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:35 pm
Location: East Yorkshire, England
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Mithras » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Regarding the movement of the Moon, I would use some hand-wavy theory that suggests the Moon has created an unstable bubble in time-space that now surrounds it. Trapped in this bubble the Moon races at FTL speeds and slows down as it encounters gravity wells before speeding up again.

As good as any other??
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby rust » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Mithras wrote: As good as any other??
Better, the perfect technobubble. :wink:
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby alex_greene » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:04 am

"The interaction of the magnetic radiation from the explosions of Nuclear Waste Disposal Areas One and Two created heterodyning interference of an unknown nature with the antigravity screens of Moonbase Alpha, resulting in infrequent yet almost periodical fluctuations in the space-time continuum which result in the creation of temporary spatial-temporal conduits through the universe through which the Moon's trajectory propels it, and whose termini occur in solar systems with planetary masses whose presence affects spacetime enough to temporarily collapse those conduits."

That's what I would say, if anybody asks.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
andreav
Stoat
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 am

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby andreav » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 am

alex_greene wrote:"The interaction of the magnetic radiation from the explosions of Nuclear Waste Disposal Areas One and Two created heterodyning interference of an unknown nature with the antigravity screens of Moonbase Alpha, resulting in infrequent yet almost periodical fluctuations in the space-time continuum which result in the creation of temporary spatial-temporal conduits through the universe through which the Moon's trajectory propels it, and whose termini occur in solar systems with planetary masses whose presence affects spacetime enough to temporarily collapse those conduits."

That's what I would say, if anybody asks.
Anybody got an aspirin? (in other words, excellent handwaving)
Nicole
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:18 am

That's why I watch UFO instead of Space: 1999.
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby alex_greene » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 am

One of my favourite observations from Space: 1999, from the legendary creepfest that is the episode "Dragon's Domain:"

"Our instruments said it was never alive. So how could we be sure it was really dead?" -- Dr Helena Russell, describing the One-Eyed Tentacle Hentai Space Monster.

:roll: Doc, I'd posit that several deep stab wounds in its forehead and a fire axe planted in its eyeball could be a pretty firm COD, and I'd write that death certificate for the monster in biro, not pencil. :lol:
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
andreav
Stoat
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 am

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby andreav » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 am

alex_greene wrote:One of my favourite observations from Space: 1999, from the legendary creepfest that is the episode "Dragon's Domain:"

"Our instruments said it was never alive. So how could we be sure it was really dead?" -- Dr Helena Russell, describing the One-Eyed Tentacle Hentai Space Monster.

:roll: Doc, I'd posit that several deep stab wounds in its forehead and a fire axe planted in its eyeball could be a pretty firm COD, and I'd write that death certificate for the monster in biro, not pencil. :lol:
"Mmmm... Best nuke it from space, only way to be sure."
Nicole
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby rust » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 am

andrewv wrote:"Mmmm... Best nuke it from space, only way to be sure."
Not a good idea, it will only make the beast dangerously radioactive. :shock:
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: How would you handle bringing Space 1999 to Traveller?

Postby Hopeless » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm

andrewv wrote:
alex_greene wrote:One of my favourite observations from Space: 1999, from the legendary creepfest that is the episode "Dragon's Domain:"

"Our instruments said it was never alive. So how could we be sure it was really dead?" -- Dr Helena Russell, describing the One-Eyed Tentacle Hentai Space Monster.

:roll: Doc, I'd posit that several deep stab wounds in its forehead and a fire axe planted in its eyeball could be a pretty firm COD, and I'd write that death certificate for the monster in biro, not pencil. :lol:
"Mmmm... Best nuke it from space, only way to be sure."
Don't waste the nuke just patch in the remaining power to a portable mp3 and leave some speakers after setting it to start working a few minutes after you've left, then let it broadcast Justin Beiber, Spice Girls or whatever music you'd really hate... if its remotely still alive that would send it fleeing! :twisted:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests