Deneb Sector '84

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
delrom5
Weasel

Deneb Sector '84

Postby delrom5 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

I've just picked up a copy of Deneb Sector and kudos to Rob Eaglestone for describing this sector, especially the political machinations.

However, I'd like to ask if anyone remembers the version published by Dave Hulks et al in 84/85. This was before I started playing Traveller, being preoccuppied with D&D, though remember it being reviewed in Imagine. Did anyone ever play in the Deneb '84 and how did it go?
Elrick
Stoat

Re: Deneb Sector '84

Postby Elrick » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 am

delrom5 wrote:I've just picked up a copy of Deneb Sector and kudos to Rob Eaglestone for describing this sector, especially the political machinations.

However, I'd like to ask if anyone remembers the version published by Dave Hulks et al in 84/85. This was before I started playing Traveller, being preoccuppied with D&D, though remember it being reviewed in Imagine. Did anyone ever play in the Deneb '84 and how did it go?
I don't remember the Dave Hulks one, but Deneb was covered in Traveller Digest 19 (http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/TD19).
delrom5
Weasel

Postby delrom5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:39 pm

My fault; it was a small press publication that probably only had wide distribution in the UK. The first part was published in the fanzine 'Quasits and Quasars' (Q&Q) #10 edited by Dave Hulks and Neil Hopkins. This was the final issue of Q&Q, so their version was compiled and given Marc's blessing, as being 'Approved for use with Traveller. So, it isn't canon, especially as it was published at about the same time as the 'Atlas of the Imperium'.

There are two noteworthy elements (reported in the review); first that all profits were to be given to the Save The Children charity and secondly, there were a number or Warwick in-jokes (Warwick University being one of the hotbeds of FRP fandom and fanzine publishing during the mid-eighties).

I've never seen the full copy, and was hoping that someone could add some further information.
Elrick
Stoat

Postby Elrick » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:43 pm

No fault. I wrote for a couple of issues of Q&Q, but earlier on.

Games Workshop published a couple of sectors around the same time.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Elrick wrote:Games Workshop published a couple of sectors around the same time.
Which ones? I know they started the work on the Trojan Reach (as seen in Adventure 4: Leviathan), and commonly re-published other works for the UK market, but this is the first I've heard of them going beyond the little bits of Trojan Reach.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
delrom5
Weasel

Postby delrom5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:29 pm

The only notes that I have on the GW sectors is in a set of footnotes from the Snowbird Mystery PDF (now offline) by Andy Slack. It's now offline, but the PDF states that the sector name was the Riftspan Reach and consisted of a cluster of stars within a rift.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 am

I have that PDF. it mentions Antares but is otherwise pretty sector neutral other than being Imperial. Riftspan Reach is the next sector below Trojan Reach, and is firmly Aslan.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
Elrick
Stoat

Postby Elrick » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:54 am

GypsyComet wrote:
Elrick wrote:Games Workshop published a couple of sectors around the same time.
Which ones? I know they started the work on the Trojan Reach (as seen in Adventure 4: Leviathan), and commonly re-published other works for the UK market, but this is the first I've heard of them going beyond the little bits of Trojan Reach.
I don't remember now. I do remember seeing them in the GW shop in Dalling Road, which would be around 1984 or so, so maybe one of them was Dave Hulks one. I remember thinking that they were more sectors by Paranoia Press or another small publisher around that time as they had card covers like those books rather than the glossy covers like IISS Ship Files, but they had the GW logos on the cover. At least one was for charity though I think, so maybe they were done by GW staffers and sold through the shop. I didn't pick them up at the time and haven't seen them since.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 pm

The Paranoia Press sectors were The Beyond and the Vanguard Reach. I wasn't aware that they had been licensed for UK editions by GW, but it doesn't surprise me.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
rje
Mongoose

Postby rje » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:17 pm

delrom5 wrote:I've just picked up a copy of Deneb Sector and kudos to Rob Eaglestone for describing this sector, especially the political machinations.

Thanks delrom. Unfortunately I've never seen such an animal, but did see more widespread incarnations of the sector, upon which the book is based, more or less.
Deneb author and FFE Minion.