However, if you had a chance to "re-imagine" traveller, from the very beginning, what would you change? Including the "history" mark miller invented.
Would you change the role of earth and other major human races, including the history?
Would you change the 1 week per jump?
Would you change the 10% rule for fuel during jump?
Would you change the technology that does not allow "subspace"/"instant" communication prevalent in other sci-fi settings?
Would you change the large cumbersome Feudal system of the 3rd Emperium?
Would you change psionics?
Would you make the "look and feel" of your version of traveller more like one of your favorite series of shows, movies, or books?
1. Core rules, no setting material. That way you can run any number of different games off the one core rulebook - same schtick as for the World of Darkness / Vampire: the Requiem and so on.
2. Tweaks to the game: Traveller Modern (set on Earth, different time zones); Traveller Supers (characters are superheroes / villains); Traveller Planar (the setting involves time or dimensional travel); Traveller Psi (the emphasis is on psionics over the material) and so on.
3. Tweaks to Jump: Jump takes up 10% of the engine size per jump made; Jump doesn't last one week, but can last several weeks - the Jump rating only determines how far you can travel in parsecs during a Jump whose duration the pilot sets; different quanta of Jump - Q0 (puddle jumper; allow small craft to Jump), Q1 (standard, as described above), Q2 (Jumps measured in tens of thousands of parsecs, allowing for intragalactic travel), Q3 (Jumps measured in millions of parsecs, allowing for intergalactic travel), perhaps Q4 (permitting Jump travel to any part of the observable universe, making maps pretty much obsolete).
4. Tweaks to Chargen: Transhumanism is an option. Rules for stats greater than 15, particularly INT/EDU 16+, Ozymandias syndrome, with benefits to learning skills based on high Edu / Int (high Int allows more rapid learning, and high Edu allows a positive DM to the learning roll.
5. Changes to Psionics: So, so many flaws with the current dreadful afterthought that is the psionics system writeup. I'd have to write up the changes in a separate response, or even thread
6. No official setting
. No 3I means no grognards complaining about how the current version of the game is so different to all the other versions.
Those are the only ones I can think of for now.