Page 2 of 2

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:58 pm
by steve98052
msprange wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:43 pm
We have had a bottleneck on layout - but it looks like that might have been resolved. I am hoping we can get the ebook done of the French edition within the next 2-3 months.
This reminds me of something that I learned in a software localization class ages ago. The class advised that software developers should allow twice as much screen space for short bits of text (such as dialog box button labels), and 30% extra space for bulk text (a paragraph or more), because English is much more compact than many of the other languages that software is published in.

If the French-language text of Mongoose Traveller is 30% larger than the English-language text, I can see how that could make layout a significant task.

Also, I would imagine that some illustrations would need to be changed if they have any English-language text in them. Localization is not just a matter of translating ordinary text; diagrams and art need changes too.

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am
by tauther
msprange wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:43 pm
Dox wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:40 pm
I ask again a year later. When can we buy or pre-order the basic book for Traveller 2E in french? :?:
We have had a bottleneck on layout - but it looks like that might have been resolved. I am hoping we can get the ebook done of the French edition within the next 2-3 months.
Hoping that you could progress anyway during the Xmas break...
Is March still a reasonable target? or should we consider the release date as TBD again as "Behind the Claw" and "Shadows of Tindal" must probably be more important businesswise?

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 am
by MongooseMatt
tauther wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am
Hoping that you could progress anyway during the Xmas break...
Is March still a reasonable target? or should we consider the release date as TBD again as "Behind the Claw" and "Shadows of Tindal" must probably be more important businesswise?
We are hoping that all three will arrive at more or less the same time (within a couple of weeks or so), and you may well see some new adventures first.

These books are all being laid out right now, and the French Traveller has raised some issues with the conversion of the translated Word documents into InDesign. Not insurmountable by any means, but it has slowed things down a little. However, we are ploughing through them as I type!

The bigger issue is our new web site, which should have gone live late last year. This has been an... interesting project, but it looks like we are finally cracking the issues there. Once live (within the next week or so, if all goes well), we can then focus properly on these books.

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm
by tauther
msprange wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 am
tauther wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am
Hoping that you could progress anyway during the Xmas break...
Is March still a reasonable target? or should we consider the release date as TBD again as "Behind the Claw" and "Shadows of Tindal" must probably be more important businesswise?
We are hoping that all three will arrive at more or less the same time (within a couple of weeks or so), and you may well see some new adventures first.

These books are all being laid out right now, and the French Traveller has raised some issues with the conversion of the translated Word documents into InDesign. Not insurmountable by any means, but it has slowed things down a little. However, we are ploughing through them as I type!

The bigger issue is our new web site, which should have gone live late last year. This has been an... interesting project, but it looks like we are finally cracking the issues there. Once live (within the next week or so, if all goes well), we can then focus properly on these books.
Excellent news! Thanks!

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm
by Dox
Still no release date for the French base book?

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm
by MongooseMatt
Dox wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm
Still no release date for the French base book?
The French Core Book is with our layout people, they are just finishing up some other bits and pieces before the issues with it can be properly resolved.

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 pm
by Dox
msprange wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Dox wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm
Still no release date for the French base book?
The French Core Book is with our layout people, they are just finishing up some other bits and pieces before the issues with it can be properly resolved.
Great ! :D

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:23 am
by Dox
Dox wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 pm
msprange wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Dox wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm
Still no release date for the French base book?
The French Core Book is with our layout people, they are just finishing up some other bits and pieces before the issues with it can be properly resolved.
Great ! :D
Still no Traveller in French? Wouldn't it be easier to entrust the French line to a French publisher?

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:53 pm
by Dox
Traveller 2E in french soon ? Two years of waiting is a long time...

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:12 pm
by MongooseMatt
Unfortunately, we were hit hard with staff illness, and we lost one of our layout people this year. However, we have someone new starting (on Monday!). There is a lot of backlog to catch up with, but we have not forgotten this project...

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:49 pm
by Dox
It's me again with my eternal question :wink: Any news about the French version of Traveller?

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:56 pm
by MongooseMatt
Layout began - but then had to stop, as it hit some really massive problems with the translated file. We will be going back to this, but we need to set aside quite a bit of time to handle it.

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:30 am
by Old School
Matthew, you gotta get this done for these guys. You’ve been teasing them for years now.

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:55 am
by Dox
MongooseMatt wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:56 pm
Layout began - but then had to stop, as it hit some really massive problems with the translated file. We will be going back to this, but we need to set aside quite a bit of time to handle it.
Hello. Any news please?

Re: Traveller french line

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:05 pm
by MongooseMatt
I am sorry, we can make very few promises while everyone is in lockdown. Fingers crossed for news later this year.