Future Traveller - Testing the Waters

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Future Traveller - Testing the Waters

Postby Infojunky » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 pm

mpoles wrote:
crazy_cat wrote: Seconded. It's the default scale for science fiction miniatures (because of WH40K) so most of us already own some in that scale. Decades ago, 15mm was the most popular scale, but it's very difficult to paint 15mm miniatures to look good.
No 15mm is the Default scale for SF Miniatures. And 15mm figures are far easier to paint do to the reduced detail set.

40k isn't Science Fiction, it is a weird fantasy fork of WW1.
Evyn
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:45 pm

crazy_cat wrote:I'm not trying to win an argument here - you prefer 15mm, I prefer 28mm - that's fine.

Mongoose need to decide which, if any, scale to make Traveller minis in. If it is 28mm I'll buy them. If it isn't I wont.
Yes, and we hope they see reason and go with 15mm....
Evyn
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:41 am

Infojunky wrote:
crazy_cat wrote: Seconded. It's the default scale for science fiction miniatures (because of WH40K) so most of us already own some in that scale. Decades ago, 15mm was the most popular scale, but it's very difficult to paint 15mm miniatures to look good.
That quote isn't actually from me - it was mpoles.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

Sorry....
Evyn
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 am

No worries. I just hope Mongoose hurry up and develop and release some Traveller minis - via Kickstarter maybe in finances are tight for new product development.

That way at least some of us will have new stuff to buy - depending on which scale they use.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
JP42
Stoat

Postby JP42 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 am

I may be the only one out there who wants this, and I'm sure it'd never be economically feasible, but it would be lovely to have the Core Rules merged fully with all of the Books to produce a Traveller: Complete that has advanced character creation rules (a la High Guard, Scoundrels, Merchant Prince, etc), a really complete equipment section (incorporating the rules from cybernetics, vehicles and the equipment guide) and a fully-integrated ship design (for all sizes from small craft through capital ships) and combat rules.

It would weigh in at around 600 pages, and have to cost about $200 to be viable, but lord knows I would buy the living daylights out of it.

ETA: and I would also need for myself to be included in the copy edit and rules testing. I love that Mongoose has done so much cool stuff with Traveller, but the typographical errors combined with rules inconsistencies and incompletenesses are grating. I'd also like to see them include a fixed version of the original vehicle design rules rather than the ultra-abstracted version that came out in V2.0.
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 pm

JP42 wrote:I may be the only one out there who wants this, and I'm sure it'd never be economically feasible, but it would be lovely to have the Core Rules merged fully with all of the Books to produce a Traveller: Complete that has advanced character creation rules (a la High Guard, Scoundrels, Merchant Prince, etc), a really complete equipment section (incorporating the rules from cybernetics, vehicles and the equipment guide) and a fully-integrated ship design (for all sizes from small craft through capital ships) and combat rules.

It would weigh in at around 600 pages, and have to cost about $200 to be viable, but lord knows I would buy the living daylights out of it.

ETA: and I would also need for myself to be included in the copy edit and rules testing. I love that Mongoose has done so much cool stuff with Traveller, but the typographical errors combined with rules inconsistencies and incompletenesses are grating. I'd also like to see them include a fixed version of the original vehicle design rules rather than the ultra-abstracted version that came out in V2.0.
See T5 and all the complaining that book has created about the size of it and its useability. I definitely would like to see smaller, cheaper books with less waffle, far more to the point with more illustrations and less errata....an updated CT in other words. That format worked very well then and still does - just big enough to cover one decent adventure, not enough to get fed up and bored reading it through, and easy to use around a table.

Small is powerful...believe it!

But you would have to be very careful with your commissioned authors. Just been reading one of the adventures in Spinward Encounters and its absolutely terrible - the one about the treasure seeking. Terribly badly written it is - gave up trying to read it after half an hour. The author cant even formulate proper sentences!
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)