Future Traveller - Testing the Waters

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Jak Nazryth
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Future Traveller - Testing the Waters

Postby Jak Nazryth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:45 pm

I have not had time to read all the pages of replies so forgive me if this has already been answered...
What size of miniatures is Mongoose considering? If it's 25 or 28 mm then I will DEFINITELY and enthusiastically purchase any and all miniature sets. I do have some very old metal Traveller miniautes, including all the major Traveller Races. But for the most part my friends and I simply use Star Wars plastic minis for just about everything, because they are light, standard size that people are used to (If you want to attract Fantasy RPG'r that's what they expect in a mini) and come in a wide variety of types that can be used for just about any kind of Human Traveller character you can think of. That's how the D&D miniature series became so popular. There were sets of stand alone tactical combat games, complete with fold-out combat maps, but most people gobbled them up to use in their RPG games. If you go with 15mm size then I will never buy them. I use miniatures for RPG but as with the example above, the 25/28 mm size can be used in war games as well. Plus, people who play Starwars or other Sci-fi/near future games will probably buy your new traveller sets just to have some variety and flavor to their games. Don't forget to include robots, technicians, Engineers, Nobles, and other "non-combat" oriented minis used for flavor. Maybe 1 in each box?

So... 25/28 sized miniatures I WILL BUY AND SO WILL MY FRIENDS!!! :)
Also as a request, but I understand cost vs sales concerns, it would be GREAT if you could have a molding of the standard air/raft or GUV or even small armored G-Carrier at the 25/28 mm scale. Starwars has a couple of small vehicles I currently use for Traveller vehicles. I know it's a pipe dream, but hey... don't ask, don't get. :)
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 am

AndrewW wrote:There are a few alien ships in Merchants and Cruisers.
Yes, I bought that the other day in the supplement bundle, there are some nice ships, but this one could use a second edition to clean up the deckplans.
Nuclear Fridge Magnet
Mongoose

Postby Nuclear Fridge Magnet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 am

dragoner wrote:Stuff like the old Fasa ACS would be cool.

Which is a good example to handle a lot of things, a book of multiple things, such as amber zones or minor aliens, which I could lift and use in part in my campaign; a nuts and bolts book of why there are amber or red zones, I wouldn't buy.
I'd assume that such an 'Amber Zone' book would include a few sample worlds, say 2 or 3 from the Spinward Marches setting and a couple of 'plug-in' worlds a GM could drop in anywhere. A little bit like the 'focus worlds' given in the MgT Spinward Marches book, describing 2 worlds per subsector...
"A very wise man once taught me a valuable lesson...
"In space we have nothing. Nothing at all."
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Nuclear Fridge Magnet wrote:
dragoner wrote:Stuff like the old Fasa ACS would be cool.

Which is a good example to handle a lot of things, a book of multiple things, such as amber zones or minor aliens, which I could lift and use in part in my campaign; a nuts and bolts book of why there are amber or red zones, I wouldn't buy.
I'd assume that such an 'Amber Zone' book would include a few sample worlds, say 2 or 3 from the Spinward Marches setting and a couple of 'plug-in' worlds a GM could drop in anywhere. A little bit like the 'focus worlds' given in the MgT Spinward Marches book, describing 2 worlds per subsector...

Worlds are a pretty heavy amount of work, IMTU I often have at least the three forms done, some encounter tables and a short write up. For Amber Zones, they could be placed on extant worlds, the SM are getting somewhat crowded though; but I am talking 1-3 page adventures and seeds. I know a lot of us GM's use them, even generically for ideas.

A book of base plans might also be handy.
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

Postby DigitalMage » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:00 pm

GamerDude wrote:
qstor wrote:I'd like miniatures for standard Traveller type races like Aslan, Hivers etc

Mike
Yes, but with the cost of metal/plastic minis - and having to paint them - I'd settle for cardboard ones *I have plenty of stands*
I would love some PDFs for Paper Minis for Traveller, and have mooted the idea before, perhaps getting Precis Intermedia Games to do them in their Disposable Heroes line.
Greylond
Mongoose

Postby Greylond » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Has this been requested? Better Deckplans. I'd recommend graphics done as vector graphics files. I use PDFs a lot when I GM RPGs, usually with MapTools and zooming in on the current deck plans it looks very messy.
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:32 pm

DigitalMage wrote:
GamerDude wrote: Yes, but with the cost of metal/plastic minis - and having to paint them - I'd settle for cardboard ones *I have plenty of stands*
I would love some PDFs for Paper Minis for Traveller, and have mooted the idea before, perhaps getting Precis Intermedia Games to do them in their Disposable Heroes line.
I'd buy them. Ships and sophonts :)
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Greylond wrote:Has this been requested? Better Deckplans. I'd recommend graphics done as vector graphics files. I use PDFs a lot when I GM RPGs, usually with MapTools and zooming in on the current deck plans it looks very messy.
Most of the newer deckplans are being done in vector format. Not sure if vector is being used in the PDF's though. Now if MapTools supported vector directly.
Greylond
Mongoose

Postby Greylond » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Greylond wrote:Has this been requested? Better Deckplans. I'd recommend graphics done as vector graphics files. I use PDFs a lot when I GM RPGs, usually with MapTools and zooming in on the current deck plans it looks very messy.
Most of the newer deckplans are being done in vector format. Not sure if vector is being used in the PDF's though. Now if MapTools supported vector directly.
Yea, rly. I find I have to zoom to the scale I need for the map in MapTool, and then import it as an image. The problem with a lot of the current deckplans is that when you do that it doesn't look all that good.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 pm

msprange wrote: SECOND EDITIONS
Yes, Please!...

Note, if you wanted to split the books up that might nice, i.e. put all of character creation and personal combat in one book and Starship's in another, Etc.. ect.. Maybe with the books in digest format (and Tablet friendly in PDF form, by that extension)

On High Guard and Mercenary, lots of ideas in those books that are badly laid out, and would be greatly improved with some TLC...
msprange wrote:MINIATURES - A WAR IN A BOX
This one could be much closer to fruition. We have been debating Traveller miniatures for a while now but have been looking for a way to do them. The current thinking is to have a number of 'closed' releases - that is, a box set (around $50) containing rules and two starter armies, and 6-12 blister/clamshell expansions. No more. These releases will basically revolve around a single war/series of battles in Traveller (we were thinking a 2300AD game, a clash against Kaefers, to begin with). A little later, we'll release another war (as box set a 6-12 clamshells) - all rules properly compatible, of course.
Yes, Please Can my 1st box be Hivers and Ithklur vs K'Kree in 15mm PLEASE!

Remember 15mm is the Traditional scale for Traveller Miniatures..... (As 20mm is for Twilight2000 as such also for 2300AD as it is an extension of that timeline...)
Evyn
torus
Mongoose

Postby torus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:27 am

Miniatures: I'd like to see mercs, Imperials and Solomani. Also I'd much prefer 1/72 scale (~24 mm), since that fits with model kits from other manufacturers (eg for tanks and other vehicles), which can be modded to make them sci-fi. My ideal would probably be a box of 1/72 plastic troops.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am

torus wrote:Miniatures: I'd like to see mercs, Imperials and Solomani. Also I'd much prefer 1/72 scale (~24 mm)
Ok, you 20mm figures then. In that 20mm stated scale is 1/72nd scale. The problem with 20mm is there is very little selection in SF topics in both the miniatures and 1/72nd scale models...
Evyn
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm

For minis I'd prefer 28mm - and minis for the things unique to Traveller, so Kaefers, Vacc suited ships crew etc for 2300AD; and Vargr, Aslan, Zhodhani, Imperial Marines etc for OTU; and generic (armed and unarmed) human ships crew and citizens for use with any setting.

28mm works alongside many other fantasy, modern, and SF ranges (inclduing prepainted plastics and for example Wargames Factory, Mantic, and Defiance SF plastic ranges) - anything other than 28mm and I personally wouldn't be interested at all.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:59 am

A Call to Arms: High Guard.

Why has this not happened yet? ;)
mpoles
Cub

Postby mpoles » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm

crazy_cat wrote:For minis I'd prefer 28mm - and minis for the things unique to Traveller, so Kaefers, Vacc suited ships crew etc for 2300AD; and Vargr, Aslan, Zhodhani, Imperial Marines etc for OTU; and generic (armed and unarmed) human ships crew and citizens for use with any setting.

28mm works alongside many other fantasy, modern, and SF ranges (inclduing prepainted plastics and for example Wargames Factory, Mantic, and Defiance SF plastic ranges) - anything other than 28mm and I personally wouldn't be interested at all.

Seconded. It's the default scale for science fiction miniatures (because of WH40K) so most of us already own some in that scale. Decades ago, 15mm was the most popular scale, but it's very difficult to paint 15mm miniatures to look good.
GJD
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby GJD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:03 am

mpoles wrote:
crazy_cat wrote:For minis I'd prefer 28mm - and minis for the things unique to Traveller, so Kaefers, Vacc suited ships crew etc for 2300AD; and Vargr, Aslan, Zhodhani, Imperial Marines etc for OTU; and generic (armed and unarmed) human ships crew and citizens for use with any setting.

Seconded. It's the default scale for science fiction miniatures (because of WH40K) so most of us already own some in that scale. Decades ago, 15mm was the most popular scale, but it's very difficult to paint 15mm miniatures to look good.
Anything other than 15mm and I wouldn't be interested. There is a growing base of 15mm scifi, and I dispute the fact that 15mm minis can't be painted to look good. 15mm is also historically the scale that previous Traveller miniatures were released in.

captainquirk
Stoat

Postby captainquirk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Yeah, 15mm. There are hundreds of tie-in offerings in 15mm, it is THE sci-fi scale, and has had a massive resurgence over the last few years.
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Also, on a 1''=1.5m grid (which a 15mm mini with a 20mm base fits neatly into), this scale probably represents the weapon ranges better than 28mm.
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm not trying to win an argument here - you prefer 15mm, I prefer 28mm - that's fine.

Mongoose need to decide which, if any, scale to make Traveller minis in. If it is 28mm I'll buy them. If it isn't I wont.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose

Postby steelbrok » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I'd REALLY prefer my war in a box to be prepainted like the Battlefield Evo packs