New Home Grown Campaign setting - Space 2199

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Re: New Home Grown Campaign setting - Space 2199

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:01 pm

I found a rather cool blog page on Space 1999...I bow to British Space 1999 Fans...awesome site and great resounces for me. Everyone should have a look and create a account to look around a the cool stuff that is there...

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/index.php

Ok back to my theme/concept...the moon will be on a course for the center of our Milkyway Galaxy that they will not have much control over. Now what they do have control over is the Hyper Drive system, they can turn it on and off and keep it running for periods of time. It is a effective shield as anything that is launched at the shild will pass through the moon because the moon is fazed when the shield is on.

Now it is my goal to allow the players to encounter various Alien races and barter for technology, knowledge, and resources. The Moon is not without resources, remember in my time line/campaign there are 25,000+ pop living there and they moon is heavily mined for resources and there are large Hydroponic farms that grow food and plant sorces that were being shipped to Mars for the Terraforming project there.Thus there is a large raw materials stockpile, and smaller manufaturing system in places to provide much of what is needed for the moon colony. Oh they are not well off, but they can maintain themselves and gear up to do many different things.

Also remember to that the Moon is the major ship yards for the space ship yards for the United Earth Force, and the Eagles and Mark IX Hawks are exclusively built out of the Moon Base Alpha shipyards. Also the Proto Type Mark X Hawks are being tested out of that same base, along with the Proto Type UEF Cruiser, UEF Long Range Explorers, and UEF SuperSwifts. At the game start the players will have access to many different ship types and through the course of the campaign new technologies will come available and allow them Monn Base Alpha ship yards to upgrade and build new ship types and I already have a new ship type planned...Far Explorer class - Scout.

Penn
37+ yrs of RPGing, War Gamer, Table Top Minatures - Resin Space Minis
AD&D, D&D v2.5, D&D v3.5 & v3.75+ Pathfinder, Traveller, 2300 AD Traveller, Hero Systems v5R, Conan, Gama World, D100 Basic Roleplaying, D20 System. Anything SciFi
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Ok in my efforts to get examples of the vehicles from Space 1999 I have found a resin mini seller:

Replicas unlimited:

http://www.replicasunlimitedhobbies.com ... y_s/42.htm

I will buy each of these one at a time...the Eagles are made of Resin and 23" long, and the Hawk is 19.5" long.

I will start off with building the Eagle with LabPods and B version landing gear with the booster pack on the Eagles back as well too.

Next I will buy the Mark IX Hawk, followed buy the standard Transport Eagle next. I am hiring the modeller Alfred Wong to build and detail all these minis for me. I am also having him figure out and scratchbuild the Superswift as well too.

Alfred Wong's web site and example of his work are here:

http://alfredsmind.ca/newpg.html

I am having him use the same theme and colors and shading for all of my ships, and yes he will also detail them too with my UEF - United Earth Force logo as well too. The two Eagles and Hawk , plus Superswift will take up all the available space for models in my office at work. I will need to hang from the cealing the scratchbuild Explorer that I will have him build for me last.

Models definately set the mood and will be the wow factor in my office at work.

Penn
AD&D, D&D v2.5, D&D v3.5 & v3.75+ Pathfinder, Traveller, 2300 AD Traveller, Hero Systems v5R, Conan, Gama World, D100 Basic Roleplaying, D20 System. Anything SciFi
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose

Postby steelbrok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:00 pm

I still have my original Eagle (tonka toy?), came to light when my mother moved hoouse a few years back
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:54 pm

I tell you there are alot of middleaged RPGers that remember that show and it has always been in the back of my own mind too. Using it as a theme setting base for my campaign has always been something I wanted to do and I believe it will work well.

The models will add to the fun for me...
Sturn
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sturn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:35 pm

2330ADUSA1 wrote:I tell you there are alot of middleaged RPGers that remember that show and it has always been in the back of my own mind too. Using it as a theme setting base for my campaign has always been something I wanted to do and I believe it will work well.
I never saw the show even though I was old enough to watch it. Apparently it wasn't carried on the 3 channels I had access to in my neck of the woods. I had no idea of the premise when replying here, not until I glanced at the Wiki. I guess I missed out. Watching really old scifi shows usually aren't as good as watching them when they were originally released. As in I liked Battlestar Galactica (the original) as a kid, but laugh at it now when I catch an old episode on TV.
-Sturn
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -

SGT William Hisle, US Army, WW2.
Terran Dawn Campaign Guide
Sturn's Shipyard!
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 am

Well by today's standards, it isn't all that good. BUT when one looks at it when it came out back then it was good for it's time and it had a lasting effect on the minds of those that saw it.
domingojs23
Mongoose

Postby domingojs23 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Dear Penn,

Love the idea ! Just wondering though are you incorporating elements of other Gerry Anderson-verse properties such as UFO, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, etc., in your background ?

Some time back I was planning to set up a Traveller campaign with Space: 1999 and other Anderson-verse as part of the background history, just never got around to it.

Best of luck !

SIG !

Gary
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Hello everyone, well it looks as if there will be a remake of the Space 1999 TV series called Space 2099 and here is the company's web page/forum where they want fan input and ideas

Over there I am "ByGoneYrs"....

http://www.space2099theseries.com/content/

Come and poke around and join the growing croud and add your feelings and thoughts

Penn
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:59 pm

domingojs23 wrote:Dear Penn,

Love the idea ! Just wondering though are you incorporating elements of other Gerry Anderson-verse properties such as UFO, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, etc., in your background ?

Some time back I was planning to set up a Traveller campaign with Space: 1999 and other Anderson-verse as part of the background history, just never got around to it.

Best of luck !

SIG !

Gary
Actually I am considering adding some elements...I kinda of liked the UFO's bad guys, they were kind of a pest and pain and all around someone to be a unknown villian of sorts. At least they were a misunderstood villian. BTW I loved Thunderbirds alot, but I never followed Captain Scarlet. Everything in my book is always a possible place to glean ideas from.