Traveller TNE?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
daryen
Mongoose

Re: Traveller TNE?

Postby daryen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Wil Mireu wrote:
daryen wrote:Nope, my idea is way more freeing. The reason is that no matter what year you pick, you are stuck with the geography. You are stuck with where the various races are placed and how things are spaced.
What geography? By 1300, the geography is completely different! (have you actually read 1248?).
Of course I have read 1248. I am extremely familiar with it, as I helped write it!

Geography/Astrography does not equal political borders. It means the placement of worlds. And whether you are looking at M0, 1105, 1128, 1202, or 1248, all of the world locations are the same, and all of the races are in the same places. So, there is no way that, for example, the Aslan and K'kree will ever directly interact. They flat out can't. Same with the Hivers and Zhodani. It is impossible because of how the stars are laid out in the OTU regardless of history. This is what I am talking about.

By completely redoing and condensing the astrography, you are able to actually use all of those races at the same time. That is what I am talking about.
I would argue that this is exactly what TNE did - it used the best of the OTU, and swept away its weaknesses and limitations ;). And yet (I think it was you that claimed this earlier), it proved to be rather polarizing!
But, again, even in TNE and 1248, you will never have the Zhodani and Aslan interact with the K'kree and Hivers in a meaningful way. (Yeah, in 1248 you get the epic battles, but that's it. The actual empires are totally isolated from each other.)

In fact, instead of using the Spinward Marches sector, you can use whatever sector that contained the RC and start with that. Then, bring in all of the other empires like I described in my first example. I don't care. But let me have a setting where I can interact with all of the major races instead of just one, two, or at most three of them. Give me all of them.
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:18 pm

daryen wrote:By completely redoing and condensing the astrography, you are able to actually use all of those races at the same time. That is what I am talking about.
Why is that so important though? That seems to be the only reason for your suggestion, and I just don't see why it's necessary or even why it's a good thing. IMO there are too many "big players" around anyway - I think it is better to only have two or three major races in a region at most.

I would agree that Charted Space is too big and could be "condensed", but that can be done with a smaller post-1300 polity.

The main factor driving a "future" setting would be that there are no retreads, no rehashes, no straitjacket constraints of "existing canon" or things that are "supposed" to happen in the timeline. And it moves that timeline forward so that things are unknown and exciting again. I don't want a rewind or reboot of Traveller, I want to see more of its future.
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Wil Mireu wrote:
daryen wrote:By completely redoing and condensing the astrography, you are able to actually use all of those races at the same time. That is what I am talking about.
Why is that so important though? That seems to be the only reason for your suggestion, and I just don't see why it's necessary or even why it's a good thing. IMO there are too many "big players" around anyway - I think it is better to only have two or three major races in a region at most.

I would agree that Charted Space is too big and could be "condensed", but that can be done with a smaller post-1300 polity.
If you "condense" the setting with a post-1300 polity, then you have effectively jettisoned major races from the game. So, if you focus on the Spinward Marches, as your area of focus is (by your statement) condensed, you have jettisoned the K'kree, Hivers, and Solomani. If you focus on the RC/FL, then you, by definition jettison the Vargr, Zhodani, and (probably) Aslan. I don't like that.

I want a setting that is highly condensed and includes at least the option for the various major races. And they don't all have to be major players. I have no problem with the Aslan being reduced down to a nascent, growing pocket empire, and have the Hivers be mostly "off-map" except for some frontier colonies and envoys.

BTW, the other thing my suggestion does is allow for the reworking of important planets, too. In my hypothetical Spinward Marches setting, Capital is in Deneb; Zhodane is in Ziaf....; the Aslan homeworld (sorry, forgot the name) is in Trojan Reach; the K'kree homeworld is in Foreven. Lair is moved to Gvurrdon. (The Hivers stay off-map, but are close to Reft, not six+ sectors away.) I imply that the Imperium, Zhodani, and off-map Hivers are major players. How major the others are is up to how the setting evolves and develops. The important thing is not that they are all major. The important thing is that they are all there. Doing your solution by definition means you effectively jettison major races from the game. My recommendation does not.

(And remember that my Spinward Marches example is just that: an example. Maybe the Zhodani are an upstart power. Maybe the Imperium is just getting started. Maybe the Aslan or Vargr are widespread and hostile. The point of the example is not that it should be used, but to simply show what I mean and what can be done.)

Also, I don't require a reduced 1100 Imperium. It can be any kind of semi-feudal empire (though it probably will still be called "Imperium"). Change it up some. I don't care. The point is to condense and contract space so things are more manageable, and then bring everything closer to allow for accessibility.
Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Somebody » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Actually there is a lot of stuff Mongoose could do in the OTU

+ Antares Sektor and the Julian Concordat

This is a sector where we have a strong but non-threatening power and a number of client states between it and the 3I. The two have a turbulent history with the Concordat delivering a mean kick to the Imperiums nether regions. Some details already exist, some interesting hooks (The ArchDuke is a Doggie<<<Vagr) Stuff for 2-3 Sourcebooks, maybe one in the current times (Smuggler, Spys etc. without the "Cold War" Feeling of SolRim and Ragheads) and one during the war period

+ Re-Visit Gateway Domain

Not sure where the copyright is but Gateway is another nice setting. The 3I is "one of the players" not THE PLAYER

+ Reavers Deep

The space between the real humans and the Kitties has little detail. We know some pocket empires exist. We know the Aslan are resonably "pro 3I". And the Terranians are close by. Another nice place for 3I, Hierat and Confederation to let "him and you fight" and to play the "great game"

+ Dallas<<<Dynasty 2

This time as OTU material, not generic. Something like GT "Nobles" but with different "lenses" (Dark 3I, Bright 3I) and material for adventures in the core section and high society

+ Hard Times

While I agree that a solution must be found for at least some of the 3Is potential enemies (Solies and Zhos are contained, Hivers are passiv but Aslan Ithahei and KKree must be handled) the basic "Hard Times" setting is workable for some time. At least until the possible enemies realize that an attack on a 3I remnant will not trigger a re-unification. Push the "finish" back 10-20 years and give some more material on the cores/controlled regions to bring out more of the contrast

=====

As for TNE: I liked it. Colllaps and reboot. Some of it is cheesy (StarVikings) and some a bit overdone (Vampires) but the general concept is workable. I would put Virus in 1200 where the Ancients are IMTU (waaaay back in the dark, dusty cupboard in the cellar) and drop the "Lords of Thunder" from 1248 but most ist workable.

And I love my 3I BIIIG
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 pm

What I would like to see is the Rebellion happen, BUT a clone/double of Stephen was killed and the 3Imp splits in 3-4 parts/factions and fights it out. Go into deep details about what happens in many battles accross the former battle areas of the 3Imp. Heck depending on the number of factions, they could make a resource book for each faction for each year following the battles from the perspective of the specific faction it is written for. Heck they could even expand on specific battles and create great details for the systems and forces used and fought within those battles. They could add in all sorts of sub plots and events also happening within that same region while the battles raged and etc.
37+ yrs of RPGing, War Gamer, Table Top Minatures - Resin Space Minis
AD&D, D&D v2.5, D&D v3.5 & v3.75+ Pathfinder, Traveller, 2300 AD Traveller, Hero Systems v5R, Conan, Gama World, D100 Basic Roleplaying, D20 System. Anything SciFi
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 am

2330ADUSA1 wrote:What I would like to see is the Rebellion happen, BUT a clone/double of Stephen was killed and the 3Imp splits in 3-4 parts/factions and fights it out.
Never read Survival Margin, eh?
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 am

GypsyComet wrote:
2330ADUSA1 wrote:What I would like to see is the Rebellion happen, BUT a clone/double of Stephen was killed and the 3Imp splits in 3-4 parts/factions and fights it out.
Never read Survival Margin, eh?
*** Why yes I have BUT I want to see books for EACH faction and great amounts of details. Do you know there are books written on almost every Battle of the American Civil War, and they are quite interesting in the details. I feel if they created a seperate book for each faction on stuff that happened per year for each faction, there would be awesome amounts of details in there for all to use.
AD&D, D&D v2.5, D&D v3.5 & v3.75+ Pathfinder, Traveller, 2300 AD Traveller, Hero Systems v5R, Conan, Gama World, D100 Basic Roleplaying, D20 System. Anything SciFi
Wil Mireu
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Wil Mireu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:17 am

2330ADUSA1 wrote:*** Why yes I have BUT I want to see books for EACH faction and great amounts of details. Do you know there are books written on almost every Battle of the American Civil War, and they are quite interesting in the details. I feel if they created a seperate book for each faction on stuff that happened per year for each faction, there would be awesome amounts of details in there for all to use.
I really would not like to see Traveller turned into a militaristic SF game, with details that nobody would ever use in actual play.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:19 am

Wil Mireu wrote: I really would not like to see Traveller turned into a militaristic SF game, with details that nobody would ever use in actual play.
Too late for that, though I think most of the age of mercenary contracts as roleplaying has passed, since Mongoose is not re-issuing any of the Traveller-associated boardgames or wargames. I realize M arc is keeping those available in some form, but the military side of Traveller is not the current trend. Ironic, since in Traveller's heydays military SF was a small minority, and now it rules the bookstore shelves.
I feel if they created a seperate book for each faction on stuff that happened per year for each faction, there would be awesome amounts of details in there for all to use.
The Rebellion was already the biggest spectator event in all of roleplaying, and you want to add more to it?

The specific events were kept vague for a reason: PCs. The TAS News entries for the Rebellion detail some signature events, and the adventures Knightfall and Flaming Eye picked out a few more, but by and large the fighting was kept abstract to allow campaign events to be controlled by referees, not some reference book.

There is another reason. One that takes a bit of background to realize: There weren't that many big set-piece battles. The big warships take years to build and hours to demolish, along with centuries worth of collective crew experience in each ship. Lucan made sure to pound on every faction that rose up around him, even sending fleets fairly far afield to punish Daibei for their lack of support even while they kept the Solomani at bay. But fleets are *months* in transit each way, may be discovered and delayed at multiple points, and may not be a viable fighting force ever again. The only reason Lucan and Dulinor kept trading blows is that they were *only* two sectors apart and had a lot of mega worlds to build fleets on even closer together. Margaret and Brzk were in the same range, and more defensive than the other two, but the reality was probably only a handful of big battles per year across ten thousand systems, and not one of them decisive. Fewer each year, too.

Lots of little battles, though. Thousands. Too many to cover. How many times can you describe the actions of an element of some fleet, under orders after a big offensive to scatter, salt some enemy ground, and make their way back to base? It may be significant to the planets they picked on, but it isn't Sherman's March by any stretch.
Commander's Log - Imperial Destroyer Squadron Ley 288th: 121-1123. We jumped into System Blah, were forced to shoot up several SDBs that challenged our right to refuel at the gas giant, sank a refueling orbital for good measure, and mined the gas giant on our way out. Exited system for System Blorg on 124-1123.
Repeat several dozen times for that squadron, then dozens of times for that Expeditionary Fleet, then repeat for each faction.

Any author willing to take that on is asking for a nasty case of occupational insanity.

I ran a "Life During Wartime" campaign in Daibei. Significant events included the (then) Imperial retreat from the system the PCs were stuck in, the Solomani arrival right behind them, and the occasional change in SolSec Political Officers from then on. It was enough for the PCs to know that the front was "that way" and that the shipyards were in constant use for Solomani fleet repairs by cowed and guarded locals. The war was background noise.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm

daryen wrote:Let me explain it this way. Let's assume you want to use a form of the Spinward Marches as your basis for this new setting. OK, that's fine, and it sounds like your assertion is correct. However, what you can do if you pitch the OTU is stick the capital of the main human empire in the adjacent sector to trailing of the main sector. You can move the Hivers and K'kree much closer so that you don't have to choose which major races will be found, but can use them ALL. As a corollary, you can massively condense space so that Relevant Space is just nine sectors (our new Spinward Marches, plus the eight surrounding sectors), rather than 30 or whatever. You can also modify your new Spinward Marches to change UWPs, world locations, whatever is necessary.

Also, who says it needs to be the equivalent of 1100? Maybe the max TL is 12 (or whatever magic number you want to use). You can do whatever you want.

Here is an example of what I am thinking. (This doesn't have to be the result. It is simply something I came up with off the top of my head to explain the idea.) Let's go ahead and use the Spinward Marches as the basis. Let's just keep it virtually unmodified. (I would modify it, but this lets us ignore that issue for now.) I will use the existing names of the surrounding sectors as they exist in the OTU, but obviously they would likely change. Despite keeping the names, everything about the surrounding sectors changes.

Deneb is dominated by the Imperium. The Imperium is a bit less than a sector in size, and it is displaced a bit spinward and rimward, meaning it occupies portions of four actual sectors. Gvurrdon is Vargr dominated, with Zhodani presence on the spinward edge. The Zhodani are about the same size as the Imperium; its heart is in Ziaf... with small pieces in Gvurrdon, Foreven, and the Marches. Foreven contains the K'kree, who stretch back spinward somewhat. The Aslan are in Trojan Reach, and also slide back spinward, meaning the Aslan and K'kree have a long, violent border region. Across Reft are the Hivers. They have a path across the Rift, and have settled worlds in the Rift. They act as peaceful traders (but we know the truth).

This allows you to have most of the neat features of the OTU, but repackaged to be smaller, more contained, and much more manageable. It is possible for characters to meet any of the major races without having to leave the Spinward Marches. The major empires are still large, but are much smaller than in the OTU. And none of this can be done in the OTU, as the astrography is set in stone. But, in this new setting, anything is possible.

Or, if you really want to go nuts, make a true recovery setting. The largest of the various empires is not quite two subsectors in size. There are multiple human empires, but also empires for the various major races, too. The leading TL is 12, but there are relic artifacts that can range up to TL 15 and 16. What is the difference between a 1300+ OTU and this? The fact that all of the major races can be present if we so choose. We are not limited by the massive setting of the OTU.

How about this: Take Reaver's Deep. Push the Imperial border back so that the Imperium, Solomani, and Aslan have no more than a subsector's worth of worlds. Leave the existing pocket empires. Define that the Aslan, Solomani, and Imperium are each a little bigger than a half a sector sized empire each. The result is a great setting of small empires that is familiar, but let's the various small empires have more influence and not just exist at the whims of the bigger empires. Sure, any of the big empires could crush a given pocket empire. But, at their minimal size, it would require so much effort they would become weakened and vulnerable to one of the other two rivals. It becomes a true cold war setting, rather than the artificially generated one. And, if you want, you can still throw in Zhodani, Hivers, and/or K'kree because you can define where they are coming from. They aren't automatically excluded from the setting because you can freely move them to where they can be useful.

That is what I am talking about. Use the best of the OTU, but abandon its weaknesses and limitations.
I. LOVE. THIS.

Really, it gets my creative juices flowing. All the good OTU flavour, but with TL12 tech and a smaller universe (probably also a shorter timeline) - without the flaws of the OTU. I'm getting the urge to create a VTU (Variant Traveller Universe) based on something like this, as well as, maybe, the flavour of the old Laserburn wargaming rules.
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
andreav
Stoat

Postby andreav » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Somebody wrote:Actually there is a lot of stuff Mongoose could do in the OTU
Snippity doh dah

I'd like to see M0 revisited. The setting had some great promise. No stagnant 800lb gorilla surrounded by 500lb gorillas, hot and cold running wars, Imperium light, dark and extra crunchy, scouts actually exploring, boldly going where no one had gone before (or at least for rather a long while), pocket empires to carve out, intrigue and byzantine politics to spare. One of the few settings where the traditional traveller adventure actually makes sense. I like my Imperium small :)
Andrea
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:18 pm

By the way daryen, in your hypothetical ATU, where would be a "hard" frontier for the Imperium to expand to? One of my problems with the canonical OTU is the lack of real frontier for the Imperium, with all the adventure potential such a frontier will have.

Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:53 pm

This sounds like the old "Proto Traveller" topic now.

Condense each OTU Sector into a Subsector and you get all of Charted Spaced within 4 of your new Sectors. Now everyone is in everyone else's reach.

I did up some maps a while back just for fun. It turned out really well. Each subsector gets represented by the 2-4 most important worlds, so a lot of the "fluff" worlds can be gotten rid of, they are pretty much ignored by most players anyway. Or you can just move them to secondary worlds within the better known systems.

In this version, the Daryen control 3 star systems and so do the Sword Worlders.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Golan2072 wrote:By the way daryen, in your hypothetical ATU, where would be a "hard" frontier for the Imperium to expand to? One of my problems with the canonical OTU is the lack of real frontier for the Imperium, with all the adventure potential such a frontier will have.
In the OTU, Charted Space is designed around the Imperium. So, you have the Imperium, then it was surrounded by everything else. Meaning the Imperium had no real "frontier".

In my suggestion, the "center" would be the Spinward Marches, which is a "neutral zone" sitting in the middle of all of the other powers that effectively ring it. Since the whole area would just be nine sectors, and the Imperium is in "Deneb" sector, that means it would have a completely uncharted sector to its trailing. Note that it would be purely uncharted from the point of view of the setting writeup. It is extremely likely the Imperium would have sent expeditions, found populated worlds, maybe even an extremely minor power or two, and whatnot. But that would be completely the purview of the referee. The setting would stop at the trailing border of "Deneb".

So, yes, the Imperium, along with all of the other major powers, would have a frontier. (The minor powers in the middle are, of course, still screwed. Just like in the OTU.)
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:In this version, the Daryen control 3 star systems and so do the Sword Worlders.
Uh, let's see ... That would be Darrian, Mire, and, uh, let's go with Ilium for the Darrians. (You could use Zamine instead of Ilium.) The Sword Worlds are easier with Gram, Sacnoth, and Narsil. Then, I assume, Entrope would be coreward and directly in the middle of both. All easily contained in a corner of a subsector. That would work.
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:32 am

daryen wrote:In my suggestion, the "center" would be the Spinward Marches, which is a "neutral zone" sitting in the middle of all of the other powers that effectively ring it. Since the whole area would just be nine sectors, and the Imperium is in "Deneb" sector, that means it would have a completely uncharted sector to its trailing. Note that it would be purely uncharted from the point of view of the setting writeup. It is extremely likely the Imperium would have sent expeditions, found populated worlds, maybe even an extremely minor power or two, and whatnot. But that would be completely the purview of the referee. The setting would stop at the trailing border of "Deneb".
I like this; this way, the Marches would be a good setting for a "Great Game" or "Cold War" situation between the various powers. The Darrians and Sword Worlders will serve as a buffer between the Imperium and the K'Kree; the K'Kree will probably focus their aggression at the Aslan but also continually probe the spinward border of the Marches; and so on.

What I am looking for, however, is a variant of this where Foreven is the Imperial (as well as Zhodani, Aslan etc) frontier, so that I could write up about this mini-Imperium setting on my blog with MGT stats, under the Foreven License; and, besides, some of the best Traveller adventures ever are set in Foreven (Chamax Horde!). Maybe move the K'Kree to Deneb, and make the Imperial Marches (Spinward Marches) the heartlands of the Imperium. The Aslan will be in Trojan Reaches (more densely starred than in canon); the Zhos (probably re-interpreted as "greys") in Ziafrplians; the Vargr in Gvurrdon; the Hivers from beyond the Rift; and there will be a reptilian minor power (less than a subsector in size) in either The Beyond or even Foreven. The Imperium will have some holdings on the trailing side of Foreven, and there will be no Avalar Consulate or Mnemosyne Principality - just some Zhos at the coreward part of Foreven. A lot of independent worlds, sanctioned Imperial colonies and even more unsanctioned colonies.

What do you think?

daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:11 pm

golan2072 wrote:What I am looking for, however, is a variant of this where Foreven is the Imperial (as well as Zhodani, Aslan etc) frontier, so that I could write up about this mini-Imperium setting on my blog with MGT stats, under the Foreven License; and, besides, some of the best Traveller adventures ever are set in Foreven (Chamax Horde!). Maybe move the K'Kree to Deneb, and make the Imperial Marches (Spinward Marches) the heartlands of the Imperium. The Aslan will be in Trojan Reaches (more densely starred than in canon); the Zhos (probably re-interpreted as "greys") in Ziafrplians; the Vargr in Gvurrdon; the Hivers from beyond the Rift; and there will be a reptilian minor power (less than a subsector in size) in either The Beyond or even Foreven. The Imperium will have some holdings on the trailing side of Foreven, and there will be no Avalar Consulate or Mnemosyne Principality - just some Zhos at the coreward part of Foreven. A lot of independent worlds, sanctioned Imperial colonies and even more unsanctioned colonies.

What do you think?
My only real problem with that is the Imperium is again trapped. I would want to loosen it up some. In that case, I guess I would suggest that the Zhodani/greys be pushed trailing to be directly above Chronor, so that they are split down the Ziaf.../Gvurrdon line. The Imperium is split down the Marches/Deneb Line. The Vargr are pushed slightly trailing, too, so they occupy parts of both Gvurrdon and Windhorn (it is Windhorn, isn't it? I forget). The K'kree are in the rest of Deneb, with some spilling into Windhorn.

Everything in Foreven and Beyond are blown away and made open. (Even the Floriani, who are kept, are reduced to purely their Trojan holdings.) Those two sectors (and farther spinward) become the frontier for the Imperium, Zhodani/greys, and Aslan. It could easily end up with a very "land-rush" feel to it, too, as the three groups fight each other to colonize the area.

I didn't go that route, as I wanted all of the empires to be able to grow contiguously. With this set up, the Imperium is again isolated, and therefore cannot grow contiguously, and must have two parts: the existing one, and whatever can be formed in Foreven/Beyond. That is, quite frankly, my biggest hesitation for using this arrangement. It also breaks up the "melting pot", as the K'kree become somewhat ephemeral, stuck on the outside fringes with no way to get to the party in the Spinward Marches/Foreven.

That all said, it is quite a decent arrangement, and, quite frankly, way more reflective of the arrangement of the major powers in the OTU. So, it is way more faithful of an effort that what I did. I would gladly adventure in it, that's for sure!

(Quite frankly, having the K'kree be pushed aside isn't necessarily a bad thing. Though I do quite like the idea of the Aslan and K'kree with a border, and all that would imply! Especially if the Aslan are fairly small, the K'kree are large, but the Aslan still just look at them as a huge potential food source ...)

[EDIT: Added the quote since I hit the @&#$% page break.]
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

BTW, I want to be completely transparent about one thing: I have intentionally left out the Solomani from any of these ideas. The reason is because Earth/Terra is too polarizing and (quite frankly) too limiting. With Earth in the picture, you have to worry about whether they are "good guys" or (like in the OTU) "bad guys". You have to at least pretend to think about real-world astrography. You have to think about a lot of things that touch on very emotional, very important subjects in the setting. But, if you leave Earth out, none of that stuff really matters anymore.

So, where is Earth in all of this? Who knows. Maybe the old, original empire (the ruins of which all of this setting eventually rose from) was a long term result of a long distance colonization effort of human activity from the way distant past. Maybe the Ancients did transport humans from Earth, but did so in the very distant past, but Earth was much farther away. Maybe the shell that was Earth is floating around somewhere. Maybe this is so far in the future (with multiple death/rebirth cycles of interstellar civilization) that Earth is a burnt cinder orbiting an otherwise unremarkable red giant star. Regardless, there is no "Earth" or "Terra" and there are no "Solomani".

(None of this is to say I am correct. This is just to acknowledge that I did intentionally leave the Solomani out, and why I did so.)
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Hey guys here is a different idea...

Since Traveller is a Set of Rules why doesn't Mongoose itself create a Brand New Traveller based Universe setting that uses the Traveller rules?
Last edited by 2330ADUSA1 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:20 pm

2330ADUSA1 wrote: Since Traveller is a Set of Rules why doesn't Mongoose itself create a Brand New Traveller based Universe setting that uses the Traveller rules?
Because Marc Miller would hardly permit any major changes to
his original Traveller universe, which would make it impossible
for Mongoose to use any of the elements (species, states, etc.)
of his universe in a different setting.
2330ADUSA1
Banded Mongoose

Postby 2330ADUSA1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Then create a NEW setting from scratch or partner up with Martin J. Dougherty and license his Far Avalon setting and have him greatly expand on THAT as a new setting for Mongoose Pub. You could still crank out all the Core Traveller stuff, but you would have your own Campaign setting as well. I truely think enough people have read his work and stuff to know that he would create a awesome game world.