Space Combat

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
daryen
Mongoose

Space Combat

Postby daryen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:33 pm

I have some quick questions that I hope can be quickly answered.

In the Space Combat system in the Core Rulebook, the various weapons are given an "optimum" range. The rule on p147 for beam weapons says that the attack role is modified by the range to the target. Where are the rules for how the attack is modified for the range? I can't find it.

Also, does the weapon still do the same damage regardless of the range? So, if someone fires a pulse laser (which has short range) at a target at long range, and it somehow connects, does it still do the same damage as it would at close range? Or is the damage reduced if its optimum range is exceeded?

I have an old first edition rulebook, so it is entirely possible that this was addressed in a later edition. Or, I could just be selectively blind and simply missed it. Any pointers greatly appreciated!
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Space Combat

Postby hdan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:13 pm

The range tables were accidentally left out of the book. They are on page 4 the free "player guide" on the Mongoose web site.

Yes, the weapon still does the same damage. Some people like to use the Gunnery Effect to add to the damage, which would in addition have the effect of taking range into account for damage. I think that "officially", Gunnery Effect does not add to damage, but I'm sure someone else will clear that up soon. :)
/hdan
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:11 am

daryen wrote:I have some quick questions that I hope can be quickly answered.

In the Space Combat system in the Core Rulebook, the various weapons are given an "optimum" range. The rule on p147 for beam weapons says that the attack role is modified by the range to the target. Where are the rules for how the attack is modified for the range? I can't find it.
I have one of the first USA printings of the Core Rulebook. Page 148 has the Weapon Range modifier chart of the various ship weapons.
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:25 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:I have one of the first USA printings of the Core Rulebook. Page 148 has the Weapon Range modifier chart of the various ship weapons.
Nope, it's new than mine. On my page 148 is a large picture of a skirmish where two Type-Ts are fighting off some fighters and the Quick Resolution of Boarding Actions sidebar.

Interestingly, the title page does say "Printed in the USA." So, this is a USA printing. But either I have a prototype copy somehow, or your version isn't as early as you think. (Probably the latter.)

However, I did find the PDF, so now I have the chart. And I have the page to reference for less ancient versions of the book than mine.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:50 am

I say early/old printing as in I bought my Core Rulebook book within two years after the game's release. If I had waiting another 6 months, I could of had a Core Rulebook with updated artwork in it. Mongoose prints their books in the US and UK and maybe other places. Saves on shipping/taxes.
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:55 am

I got mine pretty much the very first opportunity it showed up, right out of the gate. So, when I say it was a first edition, it was a first edition. :)

But I got the answer. The damage doesn't change, and the range affects the chance to hit only. I now have the table I was missing. That was what I needed to know.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 am

So have you ever seen a spinal mounted meson cannon fired? It's an impressive sight. Almost like a gamma burst. No weakened strength at the target's end.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:49 am

Note that High Guard played around with range bands and damage somewhat!

Pulse lasers and Beam lasers essentially swapped - the beam laser dropping to D6 damage, whilst the pulse laser does 2D6 but is less accurate, making it the merchant ship's 'phaser II' (able to hit enemy ships with decent gunnery and punch through a single layer of crystaliron) whilst the beam laser has no accuracy penalty and as such is the 'phaser III' point defence weapon of choice (taking down on average three times as many incoming missiles).

High Guard also has an updated range/modifier table (to hit modifiers are different at adjacent range for small craft), and some special orders you can burn initiative for, like evasive action (extra dodge reaction) or damn the torpedoes (makes you easier to hit but gives you a bonus to weapons attacks).
So have you ever seen a spinal mounted meson cannon fired? It's an impressive sight.
Well - particle spinals are; they're the proper 'death ray'. Meson spinals are an odd one - given the way they work I'm not sure if there's any actual 'ray' from firer to target or if the target just appears to spontaneously explode (once the mesons decay).
The damage doesn't change, and the range affects the chance to hit only. I now have the table I was missing. That was what I needed to know
Yep. The only thing which eats into the damage you do is sand clouds (for lasers) and armour (for everything other than meson fire).
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.