Second Edition - Comments Wanted!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Second Edition - Comments Wanted!

Postby AndrewW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:25 pm

msprange wrote:It all depends on what we have done. With the first printing of the original High Guard, there were some genuine issues, so we swapped them out freely. With vehicles, we offered an incentive to 'upgrade' because, well, we said we would!
And offered a free product on top of that.
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:59 pm

How do I work out which High Guard I've got? This one must have slipped past me :O
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm

IanBruntlett wrote:How do I work out which High Guard I've got? This one must have slipped past me :O
It's easy, the first version had the table of contents from Book 1: Mercenary...
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm

AndrewW wrote:
IanBruntlett wrote:How do I work out which High Guard I've got? This one must have slipped past me :O
It's easy, the first version had the table of contents from Book 1: Mercenary...
Thanks. Looks like I've got a reasonably OK High Guard. All I have to do is print the errata and update it by hand.

About Mercenary. Are there any gotchas about this?
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Although I applaud your plans to correct and expand earlier editions of your books I have to wonder how good a marketing idea it is. I for one would like to buy the CSC, High Guard, Traders and Gunboats and possibly a few other books over the next few months, but I am not sure it would be a good idea if you are planning to update some or all of them. I would rather wait...

So from my point of view as soon as you can get your definitive list of planned revised 2nd editions sorted the better.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:17 pm

nats wrote:Although I applaud your plans to correct and expand earlier editions of your books I have to wonder how good a marketing idea it is. I for one would like to buy the CSC, High Guard, Traders and Gunboats and possibly a few other books over the next few months, but I am not sure it would be a good idea if you are planning to update some or all of them. I would rather wait...

So from my point of view as soon as you can get your definitive list of planned revised 2nd editions sorted the better.
You are quite right, that _does_ hurt us a little.

The flip side is that we are open and honest about what we are thinking of doing, and we genuinely want to make the game as good as it can be. We also want to know what you chaps think, and we can't do that unless we let you know what we are thinking. Horses for courses.

However, I can say that if we made a decision to do a second edition of a book right _now_, it would not appear until the last quarter of this year at best.

Oh, and Traders & Gunboats is not under consideration for a second edition :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Rusty_Unycorn
Stoat

Postby Rusty_Unycorn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 pm

I know this isn't properly a second edition request... But can we please get a Darrian glossary/mini-dictionary?! I'm dying for one!
*wanders off twitching from the lack of a glossary for her favorite race*
ImpReg: Ship Design: Section VI: Sub-Section 2: Item 2: All Ships must carry a minimum of one (1) Coffee Maker per Crewstation.
Darrian Fangirl
Simonsays
Shrew

Postby Simonsays » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am

I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating; Robot Book 9 needs a complete overhaul of the creation system, with working examples and a comprehensive table of contents for the PDF version. This is the bare minimum required to make this book anything more than a fluff piece.

I had a player who had doubts about being able to attend all of our sessions, and was jaded by his bad experiences with D&D 4e. However he had a brilliant idea of playing an eccentric AI in residence on our group's ship, which would randomly (when he could join us irl) turn on and join the group.

I would have loved to have him playing his mashup of the Heart-of-Gold/Marvin/Ede lovechild AI, but I had to spend so much time trying to house rule and brute force the system that he became convinced that all of MGT is a big crunchy mess, and lost interest.

So much of the draw to this system for me and my group is the flexible framework. However flexibility can only be maintained if there is a strength and consistency at its core, and Book 9, Robot, is decidedly not that.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:23 am

The other robot book (the German one) is way better for actual use. That said I do mix bits from both.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Simonsays
Shrew

Postby Simonsays » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:53 am

Is the German one in German? I'm not particularly fluent.
simonh
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby simonh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 am

Chernobyl wrote:CSC needs to be updated.
Trade Codes for the entire Spinward Marches need to be audited by the core rule assumptions. I found hundreds of missing trade codes via a simple spreadsheet, using the UPPs of the various systems. I've posted the correct trade codes for the spinward marches in a thread here. I wouldn't mind seeing expanded UPPs used (a la T4, Marc Miller's Traveller).
Whatever you do wind up publishing, for goodness sake, PLEASE edit it and playtest it.
There's a reason for that. Apparently the author of the SM book had fully updated world stats and trade codes worked out, fixing all the inconsistencies, but Marc killed it. He required that only the original stats from Supplement 3 could be used regardless of consistency with the MGT rules set and including any mistakes in the original data. Nothing Mongoose could do.

Simon Hibbs
Check out StarBase, the open source science fiction campaign mapping application.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Clear case of psychohistory.
Jeff3277
Cub

Postby Jeff3277 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:17 am

High Guard, Scouts and Scoundrels would be my top 3 for a '2nd edition' rewrite.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Simonsays wrote:Is the German one in German? I'm not particularly fluent.
No, it's available in English (It's on Drivethru). Very nice product.

It is specifically for the 3rd Imperium setting, not generic like Book 9, so some adaption/dumping of some information will be required if you don't use the 3rd Imperium setting.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm

There is a slippery slope here, given the generic vs specific dichotomy of Mongoose Traveller. The setting-specific books for a given setting should have some unified vision, but the generic books should present a broader canvas of options. There is certainly errata to be applied and possibly some clarification written, but the generic books should not be "corrected" to become just Third Imperium books in effect or name.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:00 am

GypsyComet wrote:There is a slippery slope here, given the generic vs specific dichotomy of Mongoose Traveller. The setting-specific books for a given setting should have some unified vision, but the generic books should present a broader canvas of options. There is certainly errata to be applied and possibly some clarification written, but the generic books should not be "corrected" to become just Third Imperium books in effect or name.
I totally agree... the Third Imperium isn't 'Traveller', just one of it's settings.

Many people don't even use the Third Imperium (I don't, and no-one I know does either), that's the joy of the "Black Books".
kermit
Stoat

Postby kermit » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 am

I like the idea of expanded and proofread second editions…BUT.

I only play in the 2300AD and Orbital settings (I'm interested in the Prime Directive setting as well as the briefly mentioned Aliens/Predator setting). So any 2nd Edition has to be helpful in those settings as well. That's why alternative options must be included and the tech made more variable and generic. Making the whole system more flexible and modular would be a great benefit.

Thanks
Benjamin Lecrone
Give me a Kennedy class fast missile cruiser and I'll give you an irradiated hulk that used to be a Kafer warship. -- Captain M. Reynolds Fletcher USAF
mr31337
Banded Mongoose

Postby mr31337 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Yes, with CSC & Robot as highest priority. Fix armour and weapon inconsistencies as has been said many times. Weapons and armour are fundamental to almost all rpg's. Slots for robots and the various frame types & add-ons needs an overhaul, it's almost impossible to build commonly accepted Traveller robots or indeed even today's TL7-8 robots.

High Guard isn't as much of a priority, most of it works just fine (yes a 2nd Ed would still be nice). Vehicles is probably more urgent, most of that is borked, especially the core concept of the badly defined "spaces". Traveller players prefer plausible, considered, consistent absolutes to vagaries as far as possible. :wink:
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm

mr31337 wrote: High Guard isn't as much of a priority, most of it works just fine (yes a 2nd Ed would still be nice).
High Guard needs to be smoothly compatible with the Core Book, and needs at least another paragraph or three of explanations in character generation. I'm sure the design sequences and combat chapters could use a bit of "Wait, I thought we wrote that in. Where is it?" as well. Most rule sets do.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:36 pm

High Guard is on the cards for a second edition, but we are likely looking at 2015, so don't panic :)

We are, however, currently working on Mercenary second edition and, speaking purely for myself, if you fancy any type of mercenary/military campaign, this book is going to rock :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com