Ship Combat Turret Weapons Question

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
theatrix
Cub

Ship Combat Turret Weapons Question

Postby theatrix » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 am

Let's say that you have 3 Pulse Lasers in a triple turret, do you roll three separate times (once for each weapon) or just once for the entire turret?

Thanks.

Tim in CA
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Ship Combat Turret Weapons Question

Postby BP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:11 am

Once to hit. [see pg 147, Firing Beam Weapons, '... each turret or bay may only fire once per round.']

Three damage rolls, one per weapon.

{P.S. - see errata re: damage dice for Pulse vs. Beam which was 'fixed' in High Guard...)
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 pm

As you can imagine it doesn't take many turrets before the number of rolls can get pretty huge.

Thus the Barrage rules in High Guard allow you to group identical weapons together and make a single roll.

It is very important that you roll each weapon separately though, rather than combine them. Due to the way armour works 2 rolls of 1d6 is significantly weaker than 1 roll of 2d6; so if you start combining hit/damage rolls, you can quickly make a weapon too powerful.

The Barrage rules take that into account and keep things reasonably balanced. HOWEVER, as written, the rules are a bit difficult to follow. There are a couple of threads here on this forum that help with that. Several people have worked through it and figured out how it is SUPPOSED to work and have posted clearer rules. Check them out!
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:01 am

Specifically, viewtopic.php?t=46856

8)
-Apoc527
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 am

Do you mean rolls to hit or rolls for damage?
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Solomani666
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Solomani666 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:29 am

locarno24 wrote:Do you mean rolls to hit or rolls for damage?
One roll to hit, three separate rolls for damage.
Jak Nazryth
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jak Nazryth » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:45 pm

How does everyone (else) handle point defense?
Since a missile is automatically destroyed when hit, and a laser can keep attacking with an on-going -2 penalty for each shot, how do you handle multiple lasers in a single turret?
If you have 3 point defense lasers in one turret, does each laser get a chance to hit?
There is no point if all of them attacking at once, since as mentioned above, missiles are destroyed automatically...

An idea I picked up from the Hero System, Champions... "spreading dice" is something I'm seriously considering. If in fact you can only fire a turret one time in a 6 minute combat, then what's the point of having multiple weapons firing at a missile?
If you really want to hit something, you can trade in a damage roll for an additional +1 to hit. So if you have 3 lasers, and you REALLY want to hit a target, you can get a +2 to hit, but only roll damage for 1 of the lasers.