New to Traveller

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

New to Traveller

Postby Grimolde » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:37 am

Been roleplaying over 30 years but never Traveller. I find that incredible.

I've been asked to run Traveller/Firefly campaign, so could you tell me what books I'd need?

Also, is the pocket edition identical to the default core rulebook?

And I think I need to update my corerulebook as it doesn't have any art on page 12. Is this correct?

Thanks all
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Re: New to Traveller

Postby rust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 am

I think the only book you really need is the core rulebook. As
far as I know the pocket edition is almost identical, only a few
footnotes are missing. It depends on your campaign whether
other books could prove useful, but none of them is a "must
have" for all types of campaigns. In my view the most gene-
rally useful one is the Central Supply Catalogue (players tend
to be fascinated by more gear with more power ...), and for
a campaign with the focus on space High Guard could also be
useful. If your characters enjoy the trade element, Merchant
Prince could be nice to have.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2802
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:40 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby BP » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:12 am

Welcome to Traveller!

Like rust said, pocket edition is identical except missing footnotes (and some obvious missing multiplication signs in my edition).

Especially for a Firefly campaign, the Core rulebook should be more than sufficient. Free online deckplans and 'Verse maps fill out the rest quite well - and have seen several Traveller/Firefly games.
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Grimolde » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks for that

Would I need to update my corerulebook as it doesn't have any art on page 12?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Re: New to Traveller

Postby rust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:43 am

In my friend's PDF the page 12 of the core rules looks
like this, if you have all the text the missing art should
be a negligible problem.
Attachments
Aufzeichnen.PNG
Aufzeichnen.PNG (72.83 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Grimolde » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks for that.

Can someone provide a link to the character sheet please? Apparently it's on the main Traveller web page but I can't find it.

Thank you
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Re: New to Traveller

Postby rust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Grimolde wrote: Can someone provide a link to the character sheet please? Apparently it's on the main Traveller web page but I can't find it.
At the bottom of this page is the link:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/ ... ebook.html
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Grimolde » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:30 pm

rust wrote:
Grimolde wrote: Can someone provide a link to the character sheet please? Apparently it's on the main Traveller web page but I can't find it.
At the bottom of this page is the link:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/ ... ebook.html
Ah that web site, thank you
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:36 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: New to Traveller

Postby GamerDude » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Grimolde wrote:Thanks for that.

Can someone provide a link to the character sheet please? Apparently it's on the main Traveller web page but I can't find it.

Thank you
The fillable version of the official character sheet, along with various character sheets in MS-Word, Plain Form PDF, and Fillable PDF can be found at the MGT Aids elist (see my signature below for the link)
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

Image
The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Grimolde » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Is there an errata doc. for the revised Traveller core book?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:34 pm
Location: Pocklington, East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: New to Traveller

Postby nats » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Grimolde wrote:Been roleplaying over 30 years but never Traveller. I find that incredible.
I've been asked to run Traveller/Firefly campaign, so could you tell me what books I'd need?
Also, is the pocket edition identical to the default core rulebook?
And I think I need to update my corerulebook as it doesn't have any art on page 12. Is this correct?
Thanks all
Probably the Library Data book would be a good buy as it covers all the backup info on vehicles, History of the Traveller Universe, etc, that the Core Rule Book doesn't and that I found really useful in the Library Data books of Classic Traveller. You may want to get the Spinward Marches book if you plan to travel in the Traveller Universe rather than make your own Firefly universe. And yes the CSC book is practically a must have.

Errata is mentioned here :
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discus ... ght=errata

A PDF character sheet that I did is here:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discus ... hp?t=25265
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
User avatar
OddjobXL
Stoat
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: New to Traveller

Postby OddjobXL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Scoundrel is probably the single most useful book aside from the Core for a Firefly style campaign. While the Serenity was a smuggling ship, and did some lawful trade when they could come by it, most of the adventures revolved around the action, and interesting characters/dialogue, stemming from various unconventional sidejobs or the unexpected complications from regular work not so much the work itself.

Scoundrel works in suggestions and systems for the fun stuff like running break-ins or cons and gambling and other such shadysome behavior. A few more campaign appropriate ships and some gear is tucked in as well as some beefed up career options.

As for making the whole cargo aspect more interesting I'd probably lean more towards 101 Cargoes from BITs (if you can find it) as that's just laden with story hooks and randomized tables to turn any load of goods into a pile of sticky luh suh.

For the aspects of trade that come at you sideways, like trying to sway a reluctant potential client into using your services or the complications that might arise in the process of delivery or retrieval, there's really no beating GURPs Traveller's Far Trader. While it's pretty pointy headed and scholarly in its examination of how interstellar trade could really work it's also laden with practical notions about how the flow of cargo to client and back again works. Should fill your head full of rascally ideas and inspiration.

Mongoose's Merchant Prince is useful more for the spreadsheety side of things. Building a company, adding variety and realism to the trading mini-game aspect of things, etc. If you want immediately actionable mechanics and your players love pouring over the accounting and trade aspect of the game as fun in itself, some do - I ain't one to judge, then this is a no brainer. But for a more story and action oriented bunch it might not add a whole lot. The core book trading rules are full of holes but they get the job done, giving a captain and his crew an excuse to travel and stumble across more interesting things to do, without a whole mess of fuss and bother.
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:11 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: New to Traveller

Postby hdan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll second the suggestion of "Scoundrel" for a Firefly (or "Han Solo") type campaign. It's a great book for characters that "aim to misbehave", whether they are just trying to make a buck on "off the books" work and questionable cargoes or planning for a full-on life of piracy.
/hdan
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:52 pm
Location: Boston Area, MA/USA
Contact:

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Jame Rowe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:04 pm

hdan wrote:I'll second the suggestion of "Scoundrel" for a Firefly (or "Han Solo") type campaign. It's a great book for characters that "aim to misbehave", whether they are just trying to make a buck on "off the books" work and questionable cargoes or planning for a full-on life of piracy.
I third it. The "Merchants" book might be a semi-useful book for you for opponents and expanded Merchant character options but I'd be wary of parts of it (it's by the same guy who did Mercenary; I'll give him points for writing with being fun in mind but IMNHO he sacrificed quite a bit of my preferred type of realism).
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: New to Traveller

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:00 am

The PDF edition of the core rulebook has different artwork than the hardcover edition?
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Second, third or fourth the above, for a "Firefly" campaign Core book is, frankly, all you need. Scoundrel may be useful (if Mal had read it he and his crew might have spent less time cocking their heists up!), and CSC may be of interest for kit (though I would recommend that you decide what items are going to be available in YTU, don't just adopt it wholesale), add other books as and when you feel the need.

For a "Firefly" type game I wouldn't really bother with the 3I stuff, just use the core book to create a sub sector, fudging the results shamelessly if they don't fit what you want (perhaps 20 or 30 worlds as UWPs would be enough), cap technology at TL10, 11 or, at most, 12, and rule that there are no other sophants (until, or unless, you decide to add one), a quick 100 word background (which you could virtually rip off from Firefly), and get your Serenity up into the black.

Better a working game this week than a "perfect" game next year.

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Rusty_Unycorn
Stoat
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Rusty_Unycorn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Egil Skallagrimsson wrote:Second, third or fourth the above, for a "Firefly" campaign Core book is, frankly, all you need. Scoundrel may be useful (if Mal had read it he and his crew might have spent less time cocking their heists up!), and CSC may be of interest for kit (though I would recommend that you decide what items are going to be available in YTU, don't just adopt it wholesale), add other books as and when you feel the need.

For a "Firefly" type game I wouldn't really bother with the 3I stuff, just use the core book to create a sub sector, fudging the results shamelessly if they don't fit what you want (perhaps 20 or 30 worlds as UWPs would be enough), cap technology at TL10, 11 or, at most, 12, and rule that there are no other sophants (until, or unless, you decide to add one), a quick 100 word background (which you could virtually rip off from Firefly), and get your Serenity up into the black.

Better a working game this week than a "perfect" game next year.

Egil
Egil, stop inspiring me to start up so many projects.
Great, now I have the idea of writing a Firefly/Serenity style campaign sourcebook. Do you think Hard Burn would be a good name for it?
ImpReg: Ship Design: Section VI: Sub-Section 2: Item 2: All Ships must carry a minimum of one (1) Coffee Maker per Crewstation.
Darrian Fangirl
Egil Skallagrimsson
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Egil Skallagrimsson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Rusty_Unycorn wrote: Great, now I have the idea of writing a Firefly/Serenity style campaign sourcebook. Do you think Hard Burn would be a good name for it?
Top name for a Firefly style game! 8)

Egil
Alles fur Gram - Official motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
Wein, Weib und Gesang - Unofficial motto of Gram's 3rd Grenadier Regiment
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Grimolde » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:12 pm

How prevalent is the idea wherein characters have to keep earning cash to pay for their spaceship?

Is it central to character creation, what about afterward, when the game starts?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Moonstruck
Weasel
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:53 am

Re: New to Traveller

Postby Moonstruck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Well someone has to pay. To keep a ship flying is not cheep. There are ways to chang that. Go to work for someone is will pay for it. If one of your players is a scout. An old Scout ship is a good option. But there are subsidized ships and old 3rd and 4th hand ships. That only cost 30% of the cost of a new ship. But they smell bad and cost 3x as much in spare parts to keep runing, ect.

You can allso just "give" them a ship as their first adventure. As I like derelict ships and long hunts for lost treasure. I have used a Sky Raider inspired 200dt J2-M4 scout ship. In a hunt for the past story arc game. In one game we used a modified Annic Nova. Found while mineing the Gas Giant moon she was hidden on. :mrgreen:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], PsiTraveller, Reynard and 47 guests