MGT Ghost Ships

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

MGT Ghost Ships

Postby snrdg121408 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello all,

While going through my Traveller archives, which includes MGT, I found this file MGT-Ghost Ship.zip. I extract the file and get a folder titled assets and two other icons with a file extension of .xml.

Clicking on either .XML icon Internet Explorer opens, gives a warning message, and after accepting opens to a page with what looks like a computer program. Properties.XML has the smallest coding which is:

- <map>
- <entry>
<string>campaignVersion</string>
<string>1.3.85</string>
</entry>
- <entry>
<string>version</string>
<string>1.3.b86</string>
</entry>
</map>

Can someone tell what I have and more importantly how do I get the file to work? :|
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: MGT Ghost Ships

Postby BP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Sounds like maybe someone's* campaign notes - you'd probably need the program that was used to create the XML (the top of the files may have some identifying info). The 'assets' folder may contain images or something else useable.

*bolive mentioned a Ghost Ship adventure @ http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum ... 89&t=48867
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 pm

BP wrote:Sounds like maybe someone's* campaign notes - you'd probably need the program that was used to create the XML (the top of the files may have some identifying info). The 'assets' folder may contain images or something else useable.

*bolive mentioned a Ghost Ship adventure @ http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum ... 89&t=48867
Thanks BP for the reply and providing a possible link with information about the file.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Sure - hope it helps.

BTW the asset files or the XML may contain a copyright (XML should open in notepad or other text editor as well as any browser - just do a find for copyright) or name that could help. Office (Excel) and Open Office can also open XML files (though that doesn't mean they can do anything overly useful with them like the original program).
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:08 am

BP wrote:Sure - hope it helps.

BTW the asset files or the XML may contain a copyright (XML should open in notepad or other text editor as well as any browser - just do a find for copyright) or name that could help. Office (Excel) and Open Office can also open XML files (though that doesn't mean they can do anything overly useful with them like the original program).
Thanks again for the recommendation on how to dig for more information. I have a PM into bolive to see if that worthy person can provide more data. Unfortunately, my forum search powers once again failed, which is why I contacted bolive by PM.

Again thanks for the help and have a good one.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 am

snrdg121408 wrote: Can someone tell what I have and more importantly how do I get the file to work? :|
Looks like it is a MapTool campaign file (MapTool is a part of the RP Tools freeware suite of roleplaying aids). You should head over to this link, install the app, execute it and use it to open the file (that should have a .cmpgn extension IIRC).

Hope that helps.
far-trader
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby far-trader » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:52 am

I don't suppose the idea that this file was never meant to be distributed, and wasn't part of what was paid for, etc. crossed anyone's mind?

Just saying :)

And, that said, Ob Trav the very title and nature of the file suggests campaign hooks aplenty :D

It does sort of beg digging into in the real world by the same token... a ghost file, referring to ghost ships, mysterious...
Dan "far-trader" Burns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am

G. K. Zhukov wrote:
snrdg121408 wrote: Can someone tell what I have and more importantly how do I get the file to work? :|
Looks like it is a MapTool campaign file (MapTool is a part of the RP Tools freeware suite of roleplaying aids). You should head over to this link, install the app, execute it and use it to open the file (that should have a .cmpgn extension IIRC).

Hope that helps.
Hello G. K. Zhukov,

Thank you for the providing more information and a possible way to find out what the MGR-Ghost Ship may be. I'll let you.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:24 am

far-trader wrote:I don't suppose the idea that this file was never meant to be distributed, and wasn't part of what was paid for, etc. crossed anyone's mind?

Just saying :)

And, that said, Ob Trav the very title and nature of the file suggests campaign hooks aplenty :D

It does sort of beg digging into in the real world by the same token... a ghost file, referring to ghost ships, mysterious...
Howdy far-trader,

Been a while since we've last communicated on the forums, I'm also known as Tom R.

To be honest the thought the file was never meant to be distributed did not cross my mind. I don't normally download and keep copies of Traveller related stuff unless they come from a site's shared file forum. Of course that doesn't mean I always have the correct application to view them with. In this case I apparently downloaded the file only to discover I didn't have the right app to view the item with. With so many products I got distracted and forgot about the file until searching for something else.

If I find out that the file isn't for distribution and I'm not supposed to have the file, the trash bin will be used.

Yep, that is why I'm digging for a way, and free being the right price, to access the file.

Thank you for the reality check with the question.
Last edited by snrdg121408 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
bolive
Stoat

Postby bolive » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Hello everyone. I put the file out there for anyone to use. It is a maptools map file and as far as i know it doesn't contain anything that can't be distrubuted. I uses it for one of my demo at midsouthcon weekend before last. If anyone has any questions don't hesatate to ask. :)

Brian
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Tennessee
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Mongoose Ghost Busters! Another mystery of the universe solved on the MgT forums! :lol:
far-trader wrote:I don't suppose the idea that this file was never meant to be distributed, and wasn't part of what was paid for, etc. crossed anyone's mind? ...
Sure it did.

However, I didn't assume such - and was not going to not help someone just because they 'might' choose to be a thief. Given the OP wasn't asking how to bypass someone's copy protection or outright obtain something without paying.

Just yesterday, someone asked me to 'install' a program without paying for it - I told them it was simple. Find someone who was a thief, since I'm not. When I told them the software was only around $100, their response was 'oh that's cheap'. Sad their first 'thought' was to steal. Second it was more 'ok' when they thought it was expensive. And, third, that they asked someone who's main source of income is selling programming services - i.e. basically software. I'd need a ledger to count the number of times I've encountered this. :(

That said, I do not assume someone who asks how to get or install software is out to steal it - until they ask outright. Some people even actually naively or wishfully think certain programs are free with the misconception that 'it comes with a computer' as fostered by past marketing approaches and current practices of including trial software.
far-trader
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby far-trader » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

To be clearer, in case it wasn't sufficiently so to everyone as BP's post seems to suggest it wasn't to him, I wasn't leaping to conclusions and assuming or accusing snrdg121408 (hi Tom R) of being a thief, nor anyone here of helping a thief. I imagined it was something accidentally left attached to a legitimate product and hence the difficulty in accessing it or even knowing what it was. However, my caution was directed to insuring it was legit before helping. In this case it's all good and yep, mystery solved.
Dan "far-trader" Burns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Didn't think or mean to imply you might be accusing anyone of anything. I do not condone 'piracy' myself. However, as stated, I don't withhold help simply because there are people in this world who do.
far-trader wrote:...However, my caution was directed to insuring it was legit before helping. ...
How exactly is that done in the context of what the OP had to offer? :?

If he was knowingly trying to steal, one could hardly expect a truthful answer. If he was inadvertently doing so, the only way he might know is to have his question answered. If it was 'accidentally' part of a legit product - then that is the producers fault and no one else would be ethically at fault. If the OPs discovery turned out to be something commercial, it would be valid to point this out at that time.

Otherwise, one could put a disclaimer on all help - and that would be about as worthwhile as the annoying and atrociously resource wasting FBI and Interpol warnings on every video. :roll:
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello BP, far-trader, G. K. Zhukov,and bolive,

Thanks to all of you for the help in clearing up the mystery file I had and how to go about getting the right applications to see the contents.

far-trader brought up a valid point about the public distribution of MGT-Ghost Ship. Had I thought about the issue I would have asked if anyone knew about the file or who I could contact to get more information and permission to use the contents.

I'm glad that none of you thought I was being dishonest, darn it another failure as a sailor ;-), with my questions. Eight years of handling software and the associated licensing should have made me more sensitive to the possibility that I should not of had the file.

Again thanks for the help.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:59 pm

I've got MapTools up and running. The detail of the ship is pretty good now all I have to do is figure out how to use the program. Of course know I have another project, good thing I'm not working right now.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)