Any good MgT char generators?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
SJE
Mongoose

Any good MgT char generators?

Postby SJE » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Are there any good character generators (or even form fillable char sheets) for Mongoose Traveller out there?

Thx.

SJE
mattman
Stoat

Re: Any good MgT char generators?

Postby mattman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm

I put an app together for my own use a little over a year ago that lets me or a user quick-generate a character from one of the core careers, going through each step. It also has all the mishaps, events, and career quirks coded in for each (yes, it took a while). It exports the character into text and into a print preview. I'd be happy to post it some time before end of December (I'd really like to clean it up first). Here are some screens in no particular order:

BFalcon
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby BFalcon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:12 pm

mattman: careful of the licensing issues...

Mind you, I'd kill for that program... :(
mattman
Stoat

Postby mattman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Right, thanks. I am, of course, interested in "playing nice" and would be happy to do whatever I need to do. If someone could somehow point me in the right direction for that, I'd appreciate it. I'm just a law virgin and a devoted fan of the game.
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:00 am

Well, if you don't charge for it and there are no paid alternatives, damages are zero so unless the license owner makes a copyright claim for some of the events, the risk is manageable! Of course, asking always helps.
-Apoc527
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:26 am

The books are the paid alternative if the program generates characters without need of the book, as most of char gen is not in the dev kit, IIRC.

See http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/travdevpack.zip (also stickied Traveller Developer's Pack thread at top of the forum)

Asking is good advice - it is also what the pack docs instructs one to do! :wink:
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:19 am

Well if the program obviates the need entirely for the book, then yes, I suppose it would cause some damages. But if you don't give Skill descriptions or provide information on how to actually play, then it's just a character assistant, not a book-replacement! At least, that's what I'd argue...
-Apoc527
Richard
Mongoose

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:57 am

Couldn't Mongoose make a buck or two out of this? Just tidy it up, add some more careers, get it looking all professional and make it available for 1 or 2 quid a pop on the site. Just a thought. I'm sure the same wouldn't hurt for Legend.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Mongoose is a publishing company - not a software company.

Problem is support - software doesn't just 'work' in the wild like books do... books can have all sorts of flaws (and do), but still be 'useable' - software flaws and just unaccounted for differences between user setups can make a product unusable more frequently than a book is physically damaged.

That is also assuming Mongoose has or can get licensing rights from FFE.

There is also the business aspect. For instance, chargen for the base careers is largely missing in the open content - you need to buy a book. With a program, you don't for chargen - which is over 10% of the missing content in the SRD (good luck with that 'argument' apoc527 ;) ). Software is also easily copied.

Since right after my first two games in the '80s, I've never played Traveller without using a computer for these chores. Fact is, with a good program there isn't much need for any books.

Book sales, piracy and copyright aside, there is also the issue of implied support - i.e. when the program fails to match the books and the book publisher gets blamed.

Software could cost Mongoose not only real dollars, but image and customers - I'm sure they are aware of this. At some point, I would suspect they will figure its not significant enough to worry about, and if they have the license rights, condone anyone sharing software for free.

Either way - doesn't hurt to ask!

Matt and Mongoose seem very approachable and definitely aren't some faceless company just looking to make a buck - they are fans of their own work and it shows.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 pm

FWIW, IF Mongoose/Marc/whoever appropriate agrees to let it be released, I'll be happy to host it at Freelance Traveller...
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
Ishmael
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ishmael » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:13 am

Would it be allowable if it had empty tables with only the tables for the Scouts filled in from the SRD as an example, then let users fill in the tables for other services on their own?

This might also make it easier for people to make their own branches of service tailored to their own TU.
evo
Stoat

Postby evo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:23 am

Good idea this dev.

Technically, it would be a good thing if you separate the contents of the core software, by using XML for example, in order to translate the files more easily in other languages​​. I have faced this problem several times (hard-coded, no easily translated without sources), and I hope you think about it (I can translate into French).
:mrgreen:
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Ishmael wrote:Would it be allowable if it had empty tables with only the tables for the Scouts filled in from the SRD as an example, then let users fill in the tables for other services on their own?

This might also make it easier for people to make their own branches of service tailored to their own TU.
The SRD explicitly doesn't apply to software.

It would be legally ok (at least by US copyright law) to reproduce the mechanics... as long as the text content wasn't included and no reference was made to Traveller. (Not that one can't be challenged in court for doing so - only that there is precedence for 'based on similar principles' being allowed when a game has been made public.)

You are talking the bulk of chargen, btw, especially when considering events, mishaps and mustering out benefits. Don't forget, those tables need some way to assign skills, enemies, allies, DMs and required rolls, etc. Its not just simple text, but game mechanics. :wink:

Again, the first step would be to simply ask Matt .
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:58 pm

FreeTrav wrote:FWIW, IF Mongoose/Marc/whoever appropriate agrees to let it be released, I'll be happy to host it at Freelance Traveller...
You beat me to making that offer!
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:05 pm

From the current Traveller Developer's Pack (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/travdevpack.zip), in the document "Read Me First.doc"
What Can’t I do?
The following is not permitted under the Traveller Developer’s Pack – if you wish to attempt one of these projects, you should contact Mongoose Publishing for further information at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com. This is not a comprehensive list, and you should get in contact if you want to do anything that is not covered by the Fair Use Policy or Logo Licences.

• Publish material for older and out of print versions of Traveller, and release them commercially.
Publish software based on the current edition of Traveller.
• Publish Original Traveller Universe material beyond the confines of the Fair Use Policy or Foreven Free Sector Logo Licence.
(Spelling In Context, BOLD/UNDERLINING mine)

So, according to the Dev Pack, the answer is "No, don't publish/distribute". But, I would email Matt for a final word on this.
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com