What universe would you like to see with Traveller?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings

What universe would you like with Traveller?

Asimov (Empire => Fondation)
9%
Asimov (World of the Steel Caverns)
No votes
Edmond Hamilton (King of stars)
2%
Frank Herbett (Dune)
22%
(Babylon 5) (renew the licence)
17%
(Firefly)
24%
(Farscape)
11%
A E van Vogt (The World of Isher)
No votes
A E van Vogt (the Linn Cycle)
No votes
(Stargate)
15%

Total votes: 46
Leomund
Cub

Postby Leomund » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm

What licence should mongoose acquire?

And long life to the Third Imperium line. (and to the Solomani)
Ishmael
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Maschinen Krieger
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Unfortunately the Traveller system would not work for those settings I
would like to see, for example Brin's Uplift Universe or Niven's Known
Space, so I have to pass on this one.
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:57 pm

I voted Dune 8)

I would also like to see Mass Effect, that truly would be amazing :)
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:45 pm

CJ Cherryh's Hani books, and the Union/Alliance books, would work well with Traveller. As would Poul Anderson's Technic Civilisation series. And Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind would be a wonderfully weird place to role-play.

But I suspect Dune would be a better bet commercially.
--
Ken Walton
Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
Clockwork & Chivalry RPG available from Cubicle 7
http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby hdan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 pm

A second for Mass Effect - that would be the best possible license for Traveller. ME has megacorps, aliens that are "alien" to about the same extent that OTU aliens are (physically different, some bizarre customs and weapons, but still relatable), a version of "psionics" (biotics) and that pseudo-hard science feel we all love.

The only problems I can imagine are not being able to come to a reasonable licensing fee with Bioware, since both companies (Mongoose and Bioware) will consider themselves the "primaries" in the license. In my experience, it's not easy to get pen&paper and video game companies to make deals.

Still, an official Mass Effect + Traveller source book would make me very, very happy. (I propose that it should be set before the events in the first game though, or depending on how the series ends up, a good bit afterwards. I'd like to have Geth around, and there is always some minor species like the Batarians causing trouble somewhere.)

Firefly is fun, but really not much of a stretch from standard Traveller. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to get a different setting if you rolled up your own subsector. ;)

Brinn's "Uplift" setting fits nicely in a great many ways, and would be a nice change from the Humaniti-centered 3I.

The recent "John and Lobo" books by Mark Van Name has Traveller (well, more "Twilight Sector") written all over it. But it's not (yet) well known enough to be a real draw.
/hdan
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Seriously to those of you here who may not have played it yet, Mass Effect 2 is out on the PS3 and Xbox 360 and is pretty much Traveller: the video game with the names filed off.

You have no excuse not to get it! :)
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 am

I'd pick-up Traveller: Mass Effect. Bioware already has Green Ronin doing a TTRPG of their Dragon Age game so they seem to be at least open to the idea.

Mass Effect is easily my favorite console sci-fi game and in the top 5 for all time favorite period.

I didn't pick anything in the poll; I'm not familiar with all of them and the ones I do know don't get me excited enough to vote.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:47 am

zero wrote:Seriously to those of you here who may not have played it yet, Mass Effect 2 is out on the PS3 and Xbox 360 and is pretty much Traveller: the video game with the names filed off.

You have no excuse not to get it! :)
Sure I do, don't have either of those consoles.
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:55 am

AndrewW wrote: Sure I do, don't have either of those consoles.
{Putting on my asbestos suit after signing my will...}

In my opinion you do not miss much, Mass Effect is basically a shooter
with lots of combat and little plausible story.
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:40 am

I can't really think of any that I'd life to see that would work with Trav's tech assumptions.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:54 am

True... Assume Traveller TL's would be 'redefined' and that you are referring to actual 'tech' (i.e. nano/bio tech, etc.)?

Personally, I prefer homebrew - saves me from having to compete against known 'cannon'.
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 am

BP wrote:True... Assume Traveller TL's would be 'redefined' and that you are referring to actual 'tech' (i.e. nano/bio tech, etc.)?

Personally, I prefer homebrew - saves me from having to compete against known 'cannon'.
Referring to general space travel/tech in trav. Can't think of anything it really fits in with.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:41 am

Yeah - that would have to be redefined - which doesn't seem to leave much.
Especially if the careers don't line up and personal combat tech is significantly different...
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:43 am

BP wrote:True... Assume Traveller TL's would be 'redefined' and that you are referring to actual 'tech' (i.e. nano/bio tech, etc.)?

BP, I can see your point and in many ways agree with it, but there is something to be said for getting stats for many things 'canonized' and take them from there. I know I've said this many times about 'canon'... that for me it provides the baseline against which I know just what I'm deviating from. But as I've also related about my Serenity-Traveller games they are *MY* version of the setting, and when what I say and the 'canon' conflict, my version is the defining version so don't argue.

To put in a nutshell - I'm quite willing to pay for someone else to do all the work of working everything out in Traveller stats.
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 am

BP wrote:Yeah - that would have to be redefined - which doesn't seem to leave much.
Especially if the careers don't line up and personal combat tech is significantly different...
I never tried Ringworld RPG.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:00 am

That was in the '80's, right?

Ringworld might be interesting, but hard time picturing this in a Traveller framework (have to re-read those books sometime - didn't it have lots of aliens) other than dice and task mechanics, everything else would be different?
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby hdan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:11 am

rust wrote:{Putting on my asbestos suit after signing my will...}

In my opinion you do not miss much, Mass Effect is basically a shooter
with lots of combat and little plausible story.
Sorry rust, you'll need stronger underwear than that! ;)

The first ME didn't even let you aim the shot (the reticule was just a target selector, it "rolled dice" behind the scenes), and conversation choices make a pretty big difference in the options and outcomes you get, so I respectfully disagree that it's basically a shooter. The second one was much more "shooty" though, so I'll give you that one.

Of course story plausibility is in the eye of the beholder; it's better than most video games, but is definitely cut from "action movie" cloth rather than reality.

Personally, I would have loved some trade elements like we had in Starflight or Elite, but hey, I also loved the old Mechwarrior and Silent Hunter games, so I'm used to not getting everything I want from a modern title.

/hdan
/hdan
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 am

DFW wrote:
BP wrote:Yeah - that would have to be redefined - which doesn't seem to leave much.
I never tried Ringworld RPG.
I've got the Ringworld box set and ran a few games with it back in the day. It's a nice box set, but I'm not a big fan of Niven's Known Space in total. I'm considering using it to replace the ringworld in the Vargr system in MTU.
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 am

BP wrote:That was in the '80's, right?

Ringworld might be interesting, but hard time picturing this in a Traveller framework (have to re-read those books sometime - didn't it have lots of aliens) other than dice and task mechanics, everything else would be different?
Traveller the game system is Mongoose's generic SF game system; "dice and task mechanics". A lot of things will be different than the OTU Traveller setting for just about any setting other than the OTU (that's not a bad thing, just a given).

On the other hand, I am considering putting Niven's Ringworld in MTU. The biggest deal for me is reworking the Ancients, even though it will likely have little to no impact on the PC's interaction with the Ringworld.